Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
Dean_S
My Device: BB Storm (1st gen)

Re: Charging Problems

fixed blackberry app world by going online and re-registering , once i did that, all the programs that i had downloaded through app world were now available to re-download, the same was true for verizons store (did not have to repay)

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Dean_S wrote:

REALLY? after 2 years STILL???

hello,

I am sorry, just catching up on this discussion. What OS versions have you installed on your Storm1 so far ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Dean_S

initially 4.7 (original which came with phone) then 5 is what i was having problems with and now i see theres 6 but i didnt see the storm listed as a device

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

OS6 will be avaialble neither for Storm1 not for Storm2.

It will be avaialble for Bold2 and following, Curve3G and following, Pearl3G and following.

I think RIM will always make efforts for new devices, and provide bugfixes for old ones. Your Storm1 is two generations old already, so don't expect many bugfixes from RIM, especially for a device that is not sold anymore. I'm not saying it's a good thing (heck, I'm still using Windows 2000 on a CPU I bought in 1999 !), but that's the way it is.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

Dean_S wrote:

After the 5.0 update I did not have to do a battery pull once for memory or the lack there of as the available application memory was 26.2MB to 28.0MB. As soon as I used the wall charger instead of plugging in my storm into the PC, the ever so haunting USB message showed up again. USB?? REALLY??? from a wall charger????

hello,

I remember I was quite disappointed when I got my 9530, because I used a wall charger that have both a mini-USB and a micro-USB port, and my old 8310 could be charged and not my 9530.

Luckily for me, at that time I upgraded the OS on 9530 from 4.7.0.75 to another 4.7 version, and the charging was possible again. Then I upgraded further (sorry I don't have the exact number but it was another 4.7), and once again the device was more demanding about the current required to charge.

In the end, I used the RIM wall charger, and on some electrical plugs at home it did not work, I couldn't charge, whereas with the same 9530, the same wall charger, it would work in my office at work.

My conclusion is that the current delivered at home was not "clean enough" and that that specific OS version was requiring a bit more.

I'm not saying you should use a 4kg inverter to charge your tiny Storm, but it could solve that issue and make you a bit less angry at RIM.

note : I did not have any issue with either my Storm2, my 8900 or my Pearl3G. They all work with my deficient electric plug at home.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Dean_S

im currently successfully running 5.0.0.328 after doing a security wipe (the last post on the previous page)

from what i can tell, by servicing computers for so long, is that "updating" does not always remove the files necessary to avoid conflicting software including the OS. so the way I see it is that by reverting back to the original OS the phone was shipped with and then going right to the latest update instead of updating incrementally was the beneficial move.

and also, the original problem was over a year ago when the 5 OS was released.

so I would consider this issue resolved and give this advice:

whenever a major update is released, wipe the device back to default and go directly to the latest update. Major updates are the first digit, minor updates are the second digit, subsequent updates keep adding decimal points to the updates in reguards to their overall impact on the update. when an update goes from 4.7.x.x to 5.0.0.xxx then thats a major revision.

Thanks for your input Xandrex, but a PC's DC voltage is heavily regulated (at least by the power supplies that i have in my pc) I do appologize tho, my post did not initially include that the phone would not charge on any form of charging device... and again the issue is resolved after doing a full security wipe and reinstalling the updated OS :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rscholz
My Device: 9530

I have a slightly different problem. A couple of days ago, my phone  9530 started just going black with no warning. It would try to reboot but it just cycles through red light to "wait" sign over and over again. Finally after multiple battery pulls and putting it on a wall charger, it rebooted. Once I removed it from the charger it will shut down and go into the boot loop. I have reloaded 5.0.....328 OS and removed and restored 3rd party apps. (BBSAK user) without changing the death off the charger symptom. It will die with in a minute if off the charger but at least after the OS rebuild will work for all functions and apps. I changed batteries to no avail. Do I need to "brick" the phone and reload from scratch? I don't need a blackberry corded phone! Does anyone a suggestion?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

rscholz wrote:

I have a slightly different problem. A couple of days ago, my phone  9530 started just going black with no warning. It would try to reboot but it just cycles through red light to "wait" sign over and over again. Finally after multiple battery pulls and putting it on a wall charger, it rebooted. Once I removed it from the charger it will shut down and go into the boot loop. I have reloaded 5.0.....328 OS and removed and restored 3rd party apps. (BBSAK user) without changing the death off the charger symptom. It will die with in a minute if off the charger but at least after the OS rebuild will work for all functions and apps. I changed batteries to no avail. Do I need to "brick" the phone and reload from scratch? I don't need a blackberry corded phone! Does anyone a suggestion?

hi again,

Please don't poly-post...we get confused easily!

See my reply to your duplicate post here:

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Ahaua
My Device: Storm 9530

I just gave this a try; however, I only checked the "User installed Applications" box. I'll report back if this fixed the charging problem.
Please use plain text.
mollyoneil
My Device: bold 9780

im scared to do the securiy swipe because it says i wont be able to recieve emails or send them :/ could anyone who has done it tell me if this can be fixed after the swipe ?

thankyou x

Please use plain text.