If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
timrobertsband
My Device: 9530 Storm

Contact list is corrupted, Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException

This is most frustrating.  I have the 9530 Storm, and after typing in ALL of my contacts, I receive the error "Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException" at which point, my contact list is corrupted.  I end up with over 200 of the first contact I add repeated and all but a few contacts missing.  Yet, in my call log, I can see that the past contacts are listed.

What good is a cell phone if I cannot use the contact list?

Somebody please respond.

Thnks! 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Contact list is corrupted, Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException

Hi and Welcome!

You typed 200 contacts on the Storm directly? Wow...that's diligence (and patience that I don't have!). IMHO it's best to use a PIM on a PC (or web-based -- there are some that are reported to work) and let one of the sync methods push the data to the device. That way, you have the data safe in case something bad happens (as in your case).

Have you connected via USB and attempted (using the DM) to back up the contact list and then, on the PC, use some PIM (or, if you have the backup as a text file, just Notepad) to see about cleaning up the list?

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
timrobertsband
My Device: 9530 Storm

Re: Contact list is corrupted, Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException

Thanks for the quick response, sdgardne.  I am a Mac user, and received this Storm as a gift and don't have a USB cable yet.  I'm going to head to a Verison Wireless store today and purchase a cable.

I didn't type in 200 contacts (only about 65) -- my contact list is repeating the first contact I input over 200 times.  Then, all but 6 contacts are gone.  Ick.  I have been reduced to keeping my old LG phone on me so that I can access phone numbers until this is resolved.

I'll try connecting via USB as soon as I get one.  I've tried the Battery pull/reboot, removing the SIM.  Any other ideas? 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Oh dear...sorry, my knowledge about how to tether with a MAC is zero. You can search this forum...I know there have been threads about it, but frankly I haven't kept up on that.

As for recovery, the only thing I can think of to do is to find the bad record and remove it. Probably will have to kill the whole contact list and reload it just to be sure -- hence the need to tether and extract it so that you don't have to retype those 65 (still a bigger number than I'd have patience for!).

Odd, though -- my Storm came with the cable...no need to purchase one later on...odd...

Good luck.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.