Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Regular Contributor
Pauliwood
My Device: Storm 9530

Continuous clocking

My wife and I have the same phone, however, hers has much less "crap" on it than mine does, yet, whenever she touches her phone, it clocks.

Phone rings, she picks it up to answer it, and she misses the call, cause her phone is clocking.

She clicks the media button to show some photos, takes a few mins, as the phone starts clocking.

She does batter pulls per my suggestion, yet these do not seem to help.

Any other tricks we can do to stop this, or does this need to go in for service?

Thank you, any help is much appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
bba
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Continuous clocking

What exact OS do you use?

How many third party apps do you have installed?

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Pauliwood

OS is 4.7.0.148

Two third party apps.

Storm Lock

Quick Pull Lite

BB App World

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

By "clocking", do you mean it is rebooting? As in, does it display the exact same thing as when you do the batt-pull reboot? Or, is it the little black clock in the center, spinning and such when you shift from app to app, screen to screen, etc?

If the former, then that's a spontaneous reboot...since you are on .148, I can assume VZW -- and if so, then remove the SIM card as that is reported to help the spontaneous reboot situation (and the SIM is not needed on VZW).

If the latter, then that's the device cleaning up it's memory when things change. But it really should not be as noticeable as you describe. You might try reloading the OS fresh to see if anything errant is hanging around.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Pauliwood

sdgardne wrote:

By "clocking", do you mean it is rebooting? As in, does it display the exact same thing as when you do the batt-pull reboot? Or, is it the little black clock in the center, spinning and such when you shift from app to app, screen to screen, etc?

If the former, then that's a spontaneous reboot...since you are on .148, I can assume VZW -- and if so, then remove the SIM card as that is reported to help the spontaneous reboot situation (and the SIM is not needed on VZW).

If the latter, then that's the device cleaning up it's memory when things change. But it really should not be as noticeable as you describe. You might try reloading the OS fresh to see if anything errant is hanging around.

It is the little black clock spinning.

It is a constant thing now when her phone rings, 9 times out of 10, the phone clocks, and she cannot answer the call, and has to call the person back.

You think a re-install of the OS would do the trick? I'm hesitant, as it blew away her settings, photos, etc, when we upgraded her from the OS that came with the phone.

Yes, we are on Vzw, you are correct. 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

If you do an OS update via the RIM DTM software, you should be presented with an opportunity to perform a full backup...from which you can restore. Plus, lost pictures? The update should not ever touch the media card (which, IMO, is the only place that pictures, music, documents, etc. should be stored...never in device memory).

Given that there is so little installed to the device ( according to your earlier post, only StormLock, QP Lite, and AppWorld), it should not be degrading the way you say quite so quickly. I have more than that on mine and it gets through each day just fine (I have QP reboot every night). But, perhaps you should try removing AppWorld -- there are some reports (myself included) that it has a memory leak or something that causes accelerated resource consumption. Try removing it and then do a proper batt-pull reboot...then see how long she can go.

Failing that, yes...an OS reload sounds like it is in order.

Good luck and let us know!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Pauliwood

I will try your suggestion to remove BB App world. Funny, I have it on my phone, and the lag and clocking is not even close to being as bad as it is on her phone. And like you, i have way more apps that I try out and play with.

As for the pics, they were originally on the phone memory. I changed the option in the phone to save to the media card. Not sure why Vzw doesn't just set this as a standard option for you when the setup the phone.

I will post back when I try these options, thank you for your response!

~Pauliwood 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
chaile76
My Device: Storm

[ Edited ]

Im having the same problem... clocking WAY too often... it has been getting progressively worse.  I have a few more apps but it was fine with all the apps for about two months. But now it clocks ALL the time!!!  very frustrating!  Going to try removing some apps. I noticed my application memory was 0. 

***Removed You Tube and App memory went to 24.4 free

***removed Blackberry App Wprld memory went to 30.0

Message Edited by chaile76 on 09-06-2009 12:06 AM
Message Edited by chaile76 on 09-06-2009 12:18 AM
Truth + Clarity = Power

If you are going to take the time to respond... take the time to actually understand that to which you are responding.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
paoiipao
My Device: Curve 8520

My Blackberry is hanging on the Memory cleaning application. The front screen shows only the ''Timer''. When the phone is rebooted and the sim card removed the phone keeps going back to the same screen. Please help as nothing is working?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

paoiipao wrote:

My Blackberry is hanging on the Memory cleaning application. The front screen shows only the ''Timer''. When the phone is rebooted and the sim card removed the phone keeps going back to the same screen. Please help as nothing is working?

Hello,

The Memory Cleaner is known to be a performance drag. Further, if you are using it because you feel it is akin to a hard disk defrag, you are sadly incorrect...it does not do that. Indeed, we've found very few cases where it is of any benefit or use whatsoever. It is strictly a security item...nothing more. If you don't need it, then I suggest disabling it.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.