Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Contributor
Estarno
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

Deciding to sell my Blackberry Storm, unless someone can convince me to keep it...

After over a month I have finally decided that I don't like the Storm, which is really disappointing because I waited months and months for this thing. I thought it would be an iPhone competitor but in reality it doesn't come close.

I am using OS .75, I refuse to download and tweak some unofficial release of an OS.I am debating to give it until the next software release to see if it's any better. So unless someone can convince me to keep this junk I have to get something that is reliable. These are the nails in the coffin,

-Battery life is horrendous, and that's without using anything like camera,web,music

-It is overall slow, with the little clock coming up a lot, and the actual phone part is really slow

-Web Browsing completely SUCKS- they lied by saying "Full HTML Browsing" just like the Iphone-Bogus. This is the main reason. I'm paying huge money for this WAP like internet. Everytime I try and go to a link it flips out and doesn't get there after 15 minutes.

-Images in emails don't show up and it looks like crap and takes forever if there are more than 3 to load.

-The screen is inaccurate

-Switching from portrait to landscape is a joke

-The screen gets very dirty and particles get underneath

-There are very few applications that work

-Camera is horrendous

-It's pretty heavy

-Not really the devices fault but the coverage is mediocre, no 3g speeds in a lot of places, and no wifi so what can you do

I am glad that I got this thing for free because there's no way I'd pay any money for it right now, RIM ought to be ashamed. I am switching to an iPhone asap.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Deciding to sell my Blackberry Storm, unless someone can convince me to keep it...

Hi,

You can use this procedure to get the device ready to sell.

Thanks,

Bifocals

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB05099
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
kentonvannatten

Re: Deciding to sell my Blackberry Storm, unless someone can convince me to keep it...

-Web Browsing completely SUCKS- they lied by saying "Full HTML Browsing" just like the Iphone-Bogus. This is the main reason. I'm paying huge money for this WAP like internet. Everytime I try and go to a link it flips out and doesn't get there after 15 minutes.
 Do you have Blackberry set as you Internet Browser or do you have it set to Firefox or Internet Explorer?

Can you elaborate?

Can you elaborate?

Compared to the huge number of apps that were available for the iPhone two months after it was released?

-It's pretty heavy

Compared to ???

My biggest question though is if it's as bad/defective as your post makes it out to be, why would you consider selling it?  Wouldn't you then be consciously selling defective goods?  Why not just trade it in and get a different phone?  

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Estarno

Do you have Blackberry set as you Internet Browser or do you have it set to Firefox or Internet Explorer?
What are you talking about, I only have the original Blackberry browser, Firefox and IE on a blackberry??

Can you elaborate?

Sure, selecting what you want is very hard to do, where I put my finger is sometimes not what I get.

Can you elaborate?

What needs elaboration? It's slow! Just like many people have expressed.

Compared to the huge number of apps that were available for the iPhone two months after it was released?

Yes.

-It's pretty heavy

Compared to ???

Compared to other smartphones and blackberrys.

My biggest question though is if it's as bad/defective as your post makes it out to be, why would you consider selling it?  Wouldn't you then be consciously selling defective goods?  Why not just trade it in and get a different phone? 

You didn't get it obviously, the phone Isn't defective- it's just how it is and how everyones is. RIM obviously didn't mind selling it.

If some people don't mind how it works, good for them, but it's not up to my standards for what I pay. 

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
kentonvannatten

Estarno wrote:
What are you talking about, I only have the original Blackberry browser, Firefox and IE on a blackberry??

Launch your Browser

Hit the BB Menu

Choose Options

Choose Browser Configuration

Under Browser Identification choose between Blackberry (default), Firefox, or Internet Explorer

This is also covered in the Help

Choose Browser

Browser Options

Change Display Options for Web Pages

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Carrier: Telus

Just as a heads up, I briefly tried the leaked 4.7.0.86 OS and it is a lot smoother than the current OS (I'm back to 4.7.0.76 on my 9530).  The switch from landscape to portrait is much more responsive (both faster and senses the switch much better), I found that scrolling was much faster and smoother, and the overall experience was just better.  I think that even the browser seemed to load a bit faster (perhaps this was just perspective, but...).  Of course, since it's still a beta, it's not perfect and I ended up going back to my original OS to be safe. 

But from what I saw, I expect the new OS to be much much better, and if you're willing to wait a bit for mini opera to get their browser ready for the Storm, that should be a very good browser (at least from what everyone else tells me with regards to using it on their Curves). Mini opera is also what's used on the iPhone, so once that's available for the Storm, there should be no real difference between using it on one versus the other.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Carrier: Telus

A couple more things with regards to some of your other concerns.  If you are having trouble figuring out how to select a letter for you to edit when writing messages, all you have to do is click somewhere close to the letter you want to edit, then simply place your finger on the screen near that spot (don't click the screen), wait a couple of seconds and you'll notice the cursor turns from blue to hollow.  You can then simply drag your finger along the screen to move the cursor.  This will allow you to select the exact letter you want.  There are also other little tricks that you can learn by checking under your phone's help (assuming you downloaded it to your phone).

As to weight, it is what it is... I actually like the feeling of mine... it feels solid!

Finally, with regards to battery power, if your battery power is really bad, you may very well have a faulty battery.  Take it in and have them give you a new battery or switch the phone if required.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Dave_L

Please keep on track with the discussion at hand. Let's all try to refrain from insulting eachother and steering off topic. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,743

Estarno wrote:

Yes, you can set your BlackBerry to emulate FF or IE in the Browser Configuration settings.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Calgarymax

I am a new user and just watching for tips.  Jsanders... does Firefox work better as a browser in your opinion?
Please use plain text.