If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: Deciding to sell my Blackberry Storm, unless someone can convince me to keep it...

honestly, camera horrendous? What are you comparing it to? A Pentax?
Reading what you wrote... I can feel your sorrow and sincerely hope you will be happy with your new Apple device.

But caveat applies : the portrait / landscape mode is far more slower on the iPhone. And you can't have a landscape keyboard in the Mail application. And there is no copy/paste. And the battery lasts less that 8 hours. And the screen does not click. and there is no stereo Bluetooth. and you can't expand the memory.

On the other hand, the iPhone does have a great browser, and a great Media Player.

I'm pretty sure the person who will buy your Blackberry device will be quite happy too.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
kentonvannatten
My Device: Storm2 (9550)
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Deciding to sell my Blackberry Storm, unless someone can convince me to keep it...

I'm not JSanders, but in my experience it's a trade off. 

You do get the full HTML browsing, but it takes a bit for images to load on the page.  I suppose if there was a site that I just had to view on my BB and I wanted to get the HTML experience, I would switch it on, but for most of my everyday use, the default BB browser suits just fine. 

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
bbhorrigan
My Device: 8900

Keep in mind, to each there own.  Some people will never like BlackBerry's, and there is nothing wrong with that, this isn't some new thing with the storm. When the ball came out, people said the same thing.  Change is hard, we understand that.  Is the storm a perfect device? Not by any means, but it is just as good, if not better then the iphone. See the problem is you come to the forums, and you see people complaining. Some people that are happy/sad/confused etc: Think for a second of how many people don't post on the forums, who are happy with the device, and have no reasons to post. This device wasn't for you, I'm sorry to hear that, maybe RIM will get it right next time, and all parties can move on.  Its that simple.

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Estarno
My Device: Bold 9930

[ Edited ]

I've decided to stick it out until the next firmware update (assuming it's released within 2 months), I'm on a month to month plan with Verizon so I have options. And about the battery, I'm going ot take it to a Verizon store because my bet is that it's defective. Also, from what I gather, I didn't know that the full HTML browser doesn't apply when you have the browser set to Blackberry, I'm gonna go experiment. Thanks.

Also, I've ran into another problem, up until yesterday I had my Gmail pushed using IMAP and it worked fine-it was speedy too. Since yesterday I have been having a huge delay and it is barely working (i installed the gmail app because I couldn't stand it). Anyone hear of anything about this, or is it just me?

Message Edited by Estarno on 01-19-2009 05:12 PM
Please use plain text.
Contributor
gizzy
My Device: Not Specified

No one can talk you into keeping something that you do not like, heck its only a phone. If you dont like it get something else. Personally I like the phone, my wife has a storm also. I like the camera, it takes awsome pics for a phone.

* my screen is accurate, I dont know how a screen cannot be accurate

*landscape to portrait is a joke? I dont understand, it does what its suppose to do, it goes from one to the other, pretty simple.

*heavy? my wife has no problem carrying or using hers.

*camera is awsome, takes great pics.

but if you dont lile it get something else, no one should have to talk you into keeping something you dont want.

Estarno wrote:

After over a month I have finally decided that I don't like the Storm, which is really disappointing because I waited months and months for this thing. I thought it would be an iPhone competitor but in reality it doesn't come close.

I am using OS .75, I refuse to download and tweak some unofficial release of an OS.I am debating to give it until the next software release to see if it's any better. So unless someone can convince me to keep this junk I have to get something that is reliable. These are the nails in the coffin,

-Battery life is horrendous, and that's without using anything like camera,web,music

-It is overall slow, with the little clock coming up a lot, and the actual phone part is really slow

-Web Browsing completely SUCKS- they lied by saying "Full HTML Browsing" just like the Iphone-Bogus. This is the main reason. I'm paying huge money for this WAP like internet. Everytime I try and go to a link it flips out and doesn't get there after 15 minutes.

-Images in emails don't show up and it looks like crap and takes forever if there are more than 3 to load.

-The screen is inaccurate

-Switching from portrait to landscape is a joke

-The screen gets very dirty and particles get underneath

-There are very few applications that work

-Camera is horrendous

-It's pretty heavy

-Not really the devices fault but the coverage is mediocre, no 3g speeds in a lot of places, and no wifi so what can you do

I am glad that I got this thing for free because there's no way I'd pay any money for it right now, RIM ought to be ashamed. I am switching to an iPhone asap.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
gizzy

ya how about that, you actually have some options...usually the people who complain the loudest and are the most upset are the ones who dont know how to configre it to their own personal taste and their problems are no the phones, but user induced.

Estarno wrote:
What are you talking about, I only have the original Blackberry browser, Firefox and IE on a blackberry??

If some people don't mind how it works, good for them, but it's not up to my standards for what I pay.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Finraziel

Ugh... Not to be a troll and it's great that there are some options and counterviews being posted, but calling the camera awesome?? I guess maybe you might think that, if you've never seen the results a good samsung/sonyericsson/nokia camera phone can produce. My 2.5 year old SE K800i absolutely trounces all over the storm's camera... Then again, this goes for the iphone and most winmo devices as well. The only smartphone-touchscreen device that I know that might have a decent camera is the samsung omnia (but that device has other serious drawbacks). My own HTC Diamond's camera is crap as well.

Unfortunately, there is no good touchscreen smartphone (I'm not counting those LG things) with a good camera... If you want good camera and smartphone, you're basically condemned to symbian. I'm still hoping some day we'll see a device that has it all though... It can't be hard, it's just a matter of choosing a better camera part and integrating it, it's just that apparently the marketing guys don't think there's enough demand for it. Actually, the nokia N97 might fill the part when it comes out, but I'm not too sure on the touch symbian OS yet...

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,874
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

Estarno wrote:

I've decided to stick it out until the next firmware update (assuming it's released within 2 months), I'm on a month to month plan with Verizon so I have options. And about the battery, I'm going ot take it to a Verizon store because my bet is that it's defective. Also, from what I gather, I didn't know that the full HTML browser doesn't apply when you have the browser set to Blackberry, I'm gonna go experiment. Thanks.

I keep my browser set to BlackBerry.

You might get a Verizon OS uprade in two months, but you should know that in the past VZW has been one of the slowest carriers to issue OS upgrades (with the exception of OS .75 release which they released two weeks after the launch). There is no guarantee that it will be soon.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
gizzy

lots of people complain about the storms camera, but it is very good, color is good, detail is good. THe people complaining about it probably do not know how to use it.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Estarno
My Device: Bold 9930

No, the people complaining about the Camera are not complaining about the quality of the pictures themselves, but how long it takes to take a photo etc. For example, I will click the take picture button and there is about a 5 second delay before it actually takes the picture. Do other people really not get these issues? And when switching from landscape to portrait (or vice versa) it sometimes gets stuck.
Please use plain text.