Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Visitor
jdimitriou
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Deleting a Contact List

Somehow when I starting syncing my new Storm, I ended up with 3 Desktop Contact Lists - all the same, all with the title of "Desktop".  Now when I go to Contacts, I have 3 copies of every entry.  Anyone know how I can delete a contact list individually without resetting the unit ? Thanks.
New Contributor
roner

Re: Deleting a Contact List

I have the same issue only two Contact Lists called "Desktop".  What I've noticed is that one is working with the BES wireless sync. The second must have been pulled in some how during the conversion from an 8310 to the Storm.  There must be a way to delete the second desktop file can anyone assist us here?

fyi.. you can select a single address book once in the contacts folder on the Storm but it goes back to showing all of them once you close the folder.In my case I'm using Lotus Notes.

rdrain

I have the same issue.  When I migrated from the Pearl, I noticed that there were (2) Desktop contact lists, but when browsing in the Contact folder I only saw one.  Then today, I connected my BB to the Desktop Manager today it said it was going to delete 900+ of my contacts, so I cancelled and hit "resync" instead.  Now both Desktop lists show up and I have duplicates of all my contacts.

I tried changing my synchronization settings so that I only push my contacts from Lotus Notes to the device, but that didn't work either.  Some how need to delete that other Desktop contact list.  You are right it is not syncing with the BES it doesn't have an option to turn on or off wireless synchronization.

Please help, this is really random and annoying!

rdrain

I think I have figured this one out.   What I did was use BB Desktop Manager to Backup my BB Bold device.  Then go back into Backup/Restore, click the Advanced button to see a list of all the Device DBs.   I had two entries for Address (Address, and Address - All).  One showed 900 contacts, the other 1800, which is where I suspect my duplicates were occurring.  I selected Address-All, and clicked remove / clear (whatever the button is).   It basically wiped my address book from my BB device.   I was then able to Synchronize using BB Desktop Manager to replace all my contacts from my email onto my device.

Under Contacts -> Options there are still (2) Desktop Contact Lists, but in my Address book, there is only one instance of each contact showing up, so I am happy.    This is an alternative / temp fix to having to wipe your BB device, which was the only other alternative I was able to find online.   

Hope this helps!

christymj23

This is caused when someone moves or re-adds a BB user to the BES without wiping their Blackberry before reactivating. This will create a new contact list each time. To remove it, go to Contacts and click Options. Then type rset, it will pop up with a screen asking if you want to wipe the contacts, select yes through all windows. You can then wirelessly sync or use desktop manager to repopulate contacts.

DT75

Fantastic!  Why cant all online advice be this helpful. I've been trying to fix this issue for ages and this worked a treat!

Thanx for the tip! 

mappak

This did not work on my storm 9530.  I have two separate contact lists for desktop and gmail.  They're identical so I would like to get rid of the gmail one.  When I go to Contacts | Options and type reset, nothing happens.  Are there any options that need to be turned on for this to work?

Thanks.

dingoagogo

I had the same problem ...

make sure you type "rset" - not "reset"

Contributor
Bobbilinn333
My Device: Curve 8530 (Purple)

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

ive been trying FOR DAYS to figure this out!!!  

I had to delete my email accounts from my BB and when i added them back on i had duplicate and triplicate contact entries (more on some!).

i bought an app for $3.99 to delete duplicates which did not work, and their support couldnt figure it out either.

this was so simple and worked instantly - I WOULD HAVE NEVER KNOWN!!!

THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!

colinwan
My Device: 9700

OMG!! Thank you Chritymj23! It is so simple and it works. How can't the online support doesn't say anything about that trick!!!

Bravo!