Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

fluffy_
My Device: Blackberry Tour 9360

Re: Deleting a Contact List

thx so much!! 

i searched around the web, and everything i found was advising full system resets....this solution was quick, immediate, and required no extrenuous endeavours...

you're amazing!

danielley33
My Device: Storm

I tried this and it worked great, but now I can't add any new contacts. I'm able to edit the contacts that were already in my contacts list but can't save new contacts. Did I do something wrong?

awally39
My Device: 9700

Will the "rset" trick prompt me to delete each list, or will it delete all lists???

And are you still able to add new contact after the "rset"?

katoomrxc
My Device: BlackBerry 9630 - Tour

It allowed me to delete three contact lists, one at a time.

There's another trick that might be necessary for enterprise users.  You may need to stop the wireless sync before dumping the contact list(s), then re-engage it.  Under Advanced Options, go into Enterprise Activation.  Holding the Alt key down, type 'cnfg' in the email field.  It starts to show other characters (e.g. '9...'), then goes to the hidden menu where you can turn on and off wireless sync for each contact list.

New Contributor
unother
My Device: x

Thanks for this one Christy!

You've saved my bacon twice now....

Christo295
My Device: Storm 2

This works like a charm!  Thank you so much - I couldn't find answers anywhere for this...and I did not want to wipe my device and lose all the customizations and programs I have downloaded.  Thank God I found this forum!

Christo295
My Device: Storm 2

My sentiments exactly!!!

New Contributor
psycros
My Device: Bold 9000

Let me add my thanks to the pile - this tidbit saved my sanity.  And let me add my utter disdain for RIM while I'm at it.  The ability to remove an address book is a basic function that every other phone and contact manager provides - why would this be hidden from the user?  No wonder Blackberry has fallen to #2.

New Contributor
codeninja123
My Device: 9000

I just got a Torch 9800. I added a gmail account to it. It downloaded all my gmail contacts. Now my address-book looks so **bleep** cluttered.

How do I make sure only the addresses/contacts I add myself are available in contacts. Gmail contacts should be kept separate (maybe another tab, or maybe just a checkbox to show gmail contact list as well) ?

Also, there is no way to select-all and delete. I go to options and there is no way to delete all contacts. There is a way to wipe my device but that wipes everything.

This is rather ridicilous. Every addressbook/contacts application should have these basic functions:

1. select multiple contacts  and perform actions on them like:

- email them,

- delete them,

- move them,

- add them to a group etc.

2. view/hide groups / contact lists from main contact window. So, there could be lists like:

- local contact list (contacts you add yourself) - view/hide/delete all

- gmail contact list  (view/hide/delete all)

- hotmail contact list (view/hide/ delete all)

New Contributor
unother
My Device: x

@codeninja123:

Not sure if you have OS5 or OS6.  Comments apply to OS5 ONLY.

codeninja123 wrote:

I just got a Torch 9800. I added a gmail account to it. It downloaded all my gmail contacts. Now my address-book looks so **bleep** cluttered.

How do I make sure only the addresses/contacts I add myself are available in contacts. Gmail contacts should be kept separate (maybe another tab, or maybe just a checkbox to show gmail contact list as well) ?

I'm not sure why you state this but you must be new to BB.  Groups exist, and you can select single lists to display.  Just press the "BB" key when you are in the Contacts app.

codeninja123 wrote:

Also, there is no way to select-all and delete. I go to options and there is no way to delete all contacts. There is a way to wipe my device but that wipes everything.

That's why this thread exists.  @christymj23 provided the following tidbit:
"[G]o to Contacts and click Options. Then type rset, it will pop up with a screen asking if you want to wipe the contacts, select yes through all windows. You can then wirelessly sync or use desktop manager to repopulate contacts."

codeninja123 wrote:

This is rather ridicilous. Every addressbook/contacts application should have these basic functions:

1. select multiple contacts  and perform actions on them like:

- email them,

- delete them,

- move them,

- add them to a group etc.

2. view/hide groups / contact lists from main contact window. So, there could be lists like:

- local contact list (contacts you add yourself) - view/hide/delete all

- gmail contact list  (view/hide/delete all)

- hotmail contact list (view/hide/ delete all)

It helps to understand what the original expectation of device usage was.  BB is a corporate device in terms of its roots, and it's best to manipulate contacts via the synched desktop account.  Not that you can't manipulate on your device, but batch operations are best performed "offline".

Yes, it's a usability flaw.  Maybe it's corrected in OS6.  I'm not sure again which OS you have.

For reference I use Google Contacts and manage them partially via the device and partially via my Google Apps account...