Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

stp
New Contributor
stp
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Disable autorun of some applications

Hello,

I have still this problem.

The appication name is Concise dictionary and as now I have the torch - if I close the app after some minutes I find it started up automatically. And of cource it starts automatically any time I do a soft reset or bat pull.

I can't still find an oprion on the app to disable the atorun

Any solution?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2072), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

wilsoncpu wrote:

I have a similar problem. Two apps (Funambol Sync, and TheMissingSync) always start up in background, even after a battery-pull. That's what I consider auto-run.

And you are correct.

wilsoncpu wrote:

In Windows, for instance, there are places to look to find out what apps will be automatically run when the OS starts up.

Windows and the BB OS cannot be compared. They each have their own features and functions. Why they are different is a guessing game, trying to read the minds of the developers (a scary place, that!).

wilsoncpu wrote:

What I'm gathering from this thread is that there is no similar place to look in the BB OS. Is that right? Each app controls for itself whether it runs on startup or not?

Correct.

wilsoncpu wrote:

If so, that's a pain, 'cause neither of these has an option to control that behavior.

Yes, it is a pain...but that is a subjective judgment and has no bearing on what does and does not work. If it helps, I happen to agree...but can do nothing to change it.

wilsoncpu wrote:

I would just expect that most OSs would have a central place that, on startup, has a list of apps to be run, in addition to those the OS developers set as "standard". And the user can go and look at that list, and remove unwanted apps from the list.

Ahhh...expectations...so often those lead to disappointments, I find. Same thing with "standards"...an old adage..."the good thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from!". Further, to go back to the Windows comparison...as an open system, app developers can pretty much do anything they want in Windows -- hence so many BSOD problems. Contrast to the Apple world where developers are much more tightly controlled as to what they can and cannot do (at least that's how it used to be...I'm not convinced it remains so). But, again, how it works in the BB world is how it works...and changing that (or not) is an internal-RIM thing.

wilsoncpu wrote:

So,  the punch line here seems to be:

"No, BB does not have that sort of place or option. Each app is completely in control of its own autorun status, so if it has no 'off' option, you're stuck."

Right???

Right. Under the current structure, the place to make request for such a setting is to the developer of the app.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2072), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

stp wrote:

Hello,

I have still this problem.

The appication name is Concise dictionary and as now I have the torch - if I close the app after some minutes I find it started up automatically. And of cource it starts automatically any time I do a soft reset or bat pull.

I can't still find an oprion on the app to disable the atorun

Any solution?

Hello,

See my reply (to another poster) above.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
stp
New Contributor
stp
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Yes I understood. Thanks. A star for you

New Contributor
wilsoncpu
My Device: Blackberry Storm

Excellent, if disappointing, answer. Add a star from me!