Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Don't want SMS text message alert for voice mail

I don't know if receiving a SMS text message alerting me that I need to call my voice mail is something that is required for BlackBerry devices or not.  The Storm is my first BB phone.  I don't want to be billed for text messages alerting of new voice mails, since I do not pay for this additional service monthly.  I rarely use SMS or MMS therefore I don't subscribe to the service, but pay only on per use basis.  I have talked with the local Verizon store reps, and they have tried to call their support line for Verizon, but they did not find a way to stop these alerts.  Perhaps someone on this forum might have information about being able to stop SMS text messages without blocking all text messages completely?

Just for some information, I had always had ATT service in the past and with all the phones I had, this alert using a text message did not occur.  I am wondering if it is a requirement for Blackberry devices.

Thanks

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Don't want SMS text message alert for voice mail

Hi!

From what we understand, VZW sends that SMS message when you have a new voice mail (sorry, don't know about other carriers). From what we are told, it cannot be shut off. But, we've also been told that it involves no charge from VZW. It's not a BB/RIM issue -- it's a carrier issue. Well, maybe not an issue, per se...perhaps an annoyance. (and where would be be if we didn't have things about our carriers that didn't annoy us!)  :smileytongue:

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply.  I believe they are charging me for these text alerts because I counted them up on my last bill and the number of alerts I got were the same as I was charged for on my bill.  I rarely do any other texting, at least on the last bill I had no other texting.  The Verizon rep also confirmed this when he check my account.  Think they are like $.20 for each text message that says I need to call *86.  I have been trying to delete the text message or not opening it up to see if I am still charged on my next bill.  This is just extra money for someone(like Verizon).  I don't need any alerts, because there is a missed call message, and I can call my voice mail to find out if a message was left.

Thanks

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Oh my! That's the first I've heard of getting charged for those. I'd suggest a really stern callback to your carrier and finding exactly where in your contract they got the right to charge you for those! This sounds very wrong...

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
JSanders
Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I don't recall them charging for them in the past, but your personal experience could be different.

As it is a carrier issue, as stated above, that is where you need to look for assistance.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Just a note to all that helped with this message.  I spent about 1 hour 15 min. on the phone with 2 different Verizon Tech support people about the text message alerts on my phone.  The first tech had to go to another tech to get assistance about what to do.  Finally, the last tech rep. looked into the billing options for voice mail and changed a setting on that.  So, far with a test call to my voice mail, I have not received a text message alert for that call.  He also agreed that any Verizon generated text message should not be charged to my bill anyway.  I tried more than once at the local official Verizon store to have them correct it, but no luck.   My phone call to Verizon tech support had them digging around for over an hour to try and find an answer.  Hope that my problem is taken care of.  Will have to wait until I get another missed call with a voice mail to find out for sure.

Thanks

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Wow that's great news! We had no idea that the VM SMS could even be shut off! I wonder...if we flood VZW tech support with these 1.25 hr calls to shut it off...will that incentivize them to make it easier to shut off?  :smileytongue:

Do keep us informed...this is great stuff!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Forums Advisor I
kentonvannatten
My Device: Storm2 (9550)

[ Edited ]

First of all, if you're on Verizon with a BlackBerry, then you must have some sort of data plan.  You will not be charged for SMS text messages on a data plan and especially one of the data plans offered by Verizon. 

When you sign up for a Verizon Data Plan it is Unlimited messaging.  They require that for all smartphones.

Message Edited by kentonvannatten on 03-27-2009 10:46 PM
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Actually, unlimited messaging just refers to BB Messenger, Windows Live Messenger, Google Talk and etc.  Text messaging is a completely different thing as it doesn't go through your data plan but rather the actual mobile network.  Stupid I know, but it is what it is.

I also didn't realize that Verizon had started charging for received text messages too.  Now I know that they are indeed the same as the Canadian carriers (Telus and Bell).

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I guess I better post some updated news about my original post so that everyone doesn't have the wrong impression or information.  I spent much more time on the phone with Verizon tech reps. yesterday to investigate what I thought was charges for the text message alerts for my voice mails.  After going to MY VERIZON to check all the links on my bill, the rep. said to go to OVERVIEW then drop down a little on the page and look under the part that says CELL USAGE.  Click on the MESSAGE link, click on VIEW MY USAGE, scroll down to TEXT MESSAGES USED, then click VIEW MESSAGING DETAILS and it shows the phone numbers that the text messages were sent from.  I didn't know about that feature.  I did not find any numbers that woud appear to be from Verizon for text alerts.  I then forgot that I had tried to register for Face Book and MySpace, and they did send text messages for some reason.  So, SORRY for not understanding my billing.  I will keep track of any future text messages I receive on my Storm and go to this section of my bill to compare and verify them when I receive my next billing cycle.

Thanks for everyone's help.  Hopefully I have got this mystery solved.

Message Edited by coolbikeman on 03-28-2009 12:06 PM