Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Visitor
rickpond
My Device: Not Specified

Done with the Storm - DONE!

I have been a CrackBerry addict for a couple years... And as such, I was eager to get my wife into the smart phone world - constantly telling her how wonderful it was. The BlackBerry Storm was my shot.We went to Verizon together, got the 2 for 1 deal. Within a MONTH, we both replaced them twice (total of four NEW Storms) due to screen issues. In the span of 6 months, together we've been through about 15 of them! Every single one due to the screen issues. I use mine for about 80% business, and my wife about 90% personal. Neither of us could put up with difficult to press and unresponsive screens and constant hour-glass and constant battery pulls.I bailed on the BlackBerry Storm for the Tour about 2 weeks ago. I don't recall a battery pull yet, the device works flawlessly. I can get through all my work (email, calendar, phone calls, etc.) without any hassles. I must admit, however, the big screen will be missed, but a functioning device is way better than a non-functioning, big screen.My wife's new BlackBerry Tour showed up just now from FedEx. I will get her swapped over tonight and see what she thinks over the next few days. I'm convinced she'll love the Tour and let the Storm go to the infamous "drawer".BlackBerry (RIM), if you're reading any of these comments, please - for the love of your customers - FIX the Storm and make some sort of concession for those of us spending HUNDREDS of dollars to get out of the BlackBerry Storm - PLEASE!BTW: Verizon couldn't care less. Don't bother asking them to get you out of the Storm unless it's in the 30 day window. It is futile! They prefer sending more refurbished / new / whatever Storms to replace the broken device and will eventually call you a liar and that the screen "click" is a customer preference - "if you can select what you press, it works (no matter how hard you have to press it). The click is just your preference." Uh, OK! Then stop making the commercials that talk about the "click" and say "it sometimes works! hooray for half-functional devices! Get one today... and another tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after.... eventually you'll give up and give us even more of your hard earned money! hooray for us - we're making money in a poor economy off the backs of our 'valued' customers!"I'm dissappointed in RIM. Owners of this device should have been given a "lemon law" approach. RIM has to - just has to know how bad things are with the Storm. Take care of us. We're faithful. We use our BlackBerries and tell everyone how well they work. The Storm left me speechless in front of my iPhone-bragging coworkers and friends.Please please please - hook us up! Make this right!
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,907
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Done with the Storm - DONE!

You posted this in the Forum Feedback and Ideas section... a place to make comments or questions about how this community support forum operates. We'll have this thread moved to the 9500 Storm section.

rickpond wrote:
Within a MONTH, we both replaced them twice (total of four NEW Storms) due to screen issues. In the span of 6 months, together we've been through about 15 of them! Every single one due to the screen issues.

I wonder if you can play your existing wife's Storm and use some of the suggestions in this thread for bettery screen settings:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9500-series-discussion-storm/162279-settings-better-storm-ke...

Some changes there might make all the difference in the world.

Likewise, what OS is on the device (Look at Options > About, third line down beginning with a "v.4.xxx")?

I would suggest you upgrade the OS to .151 release

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9500-series-discussion-storm/196496-latest-os-9530-4-7-0-208...

rickpond wrote:
BTW: Verizon couldn't care less. Don't bother asking them to get you out of the Storm unless it's in the 30 day window. It is futile! They prefer sending more refurbished / new / whatever Storms to replace

Well., that was the contract you signed... 30 day replacement new device, remaining one year remanufactured device.

rickpond wrote:
Get one today... and another tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after.... eventually you'll give up and give us even more of your hard earned money! hooray for us -

I've been using the same device since before Christmas of last year. I know several dozen people doing the same, who absolutely love it. Yea, it takes some getting used to, tweaking, etc., but they work great. Yea, lots of people have complained about the Storm. You're not the first here nor the last, I am certain.

Nevertheless, all devices are not for all people. The Tour is a great device. I hope you enjoy it.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
BWknight

Hey i am so tired to hear people saying that they had to tweak a smart phone so it will work the way it was MADE to do.  The storm was a beta phone we all know that why els do you think a new storm  called (Odin) will hit the stores probably less in 2 months. I hasn't even been a year. Yes the storm came out in november but the storm2 was ready to go last month!. How do I know because I saw the thing in action!  People the storm we are using is slow! not only because of the Os Version it's because of the Processor and the low app memory.  The storm1 cant handle running the OS,Apps,and the touch screen and work FAST 'o' and NOT freeze up or crash.  (The storm is a nice phone When it works right) And that it the problem. When I hade the curve i had NO problems nice phone but like all of us se believed the commercials and RIM and seeing on a verizion commercial how Fast the phone is we all were suckers in on becoming the RIM Beta testers with no Pay for the storm ( good Job all have another refurbished Storm on RIM HAhahaha NOT  

Hope verizion will work a deall for the storm1 owners when the storm2 comes out!.  And dont anyone say they don't need to!

Because when alot of  Verizion custermer Reps that has the storm say that they hate it then you know you been somethings wrong 

Again I love blackberry but Rim haw to step up and get with the program and stop playing games 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
JPD217
My Device: Z10 STL100-4, PlayBook 64GB

My wife and I both got Storms in March, our first smartphones by the way, still running the same phones. No problems with either one of them.

15 phones in 6 months? Are you sure it's a phone problem and not a user problem?

JPD217

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

BWknight wrote:

Hey i am so tired to hear people saying that they had to tweak a smart phone so it will work the way it was MADE to do.  The storm was a beta phone we all know that why els do you think a new storm  called (Odin) will hit the stores probably less in 2 months. I hasn't even been a year. Yes the storm came out in november but the storm2 was ready to go last month!. How do I know because I saw the thing in action!  People the storm we are using is slow! not only because of the Os Version it's because of the Processor and the low app memory.  The storm1 cant handle running the OS,Apps,and the touch screen and work FAST 'o' and NOT freeze up or crash.  (The storm is a nice phone When it works right) And that it the problem. When I hade the curve i had NO problems nice phone but like all of us se believed the commercials and RIM and seeing on a verizion commercial how Fast the phone is we all were suckers in on becoming the RIM Beta testers with no Pay for the storm ( good Job all have another refurbished Storm on RIM HAhahaha NOT  

Hope verizion will work a deall for the storm1 owners when the storm2 comes out!.  And dont anyone say they don't need to!

Because when alot of  Verizion custermer Reps that has the storm say that they hate it then you know you been somethings wrong 

Again I love blackberry but Rim haw to step up and get with the program and stop playing games 

What I don't get is how when Apple releases a new version of the iPhone, everyone is all excited, yet when RIM releases a new version of the Storm, everyone complains and says that we're all suckers.  Seriously???

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,907
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

JPD217 wrote:

15 phones in 6 months? Are you sure it's a phone problem and not a user problem?

:smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vacop

I agree Rick.... Things i hate about my storm

*having to do a battery pull daily

*it randomly shutting off

*no corners "clicking"

*30 second plus lag when switching from landscape to portrait

*1 minute plus lag when unlocking phone

*battery dying in 12 hours or less.... my shift at work is 12 hours... i needed to buy a car charger just so i could use my phone all shift...

my wife's is even worse... and before people tell me i need a software upgrade, I have the latest there is... (i think, just checked again today)

I am on my 4th phone, my wife on her 3rd. Verizon keeps sending me refurbs....which never work...

i am very frustrated with the storm... all my friends have curves and have no problems with it. If we could afford it we would switch, but we cant afford spending 500 dollars a phone.

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

vacop, thank you for your comments.

It's fully possible that the Storm may not be the right device for you.  However, if you'd like assistance with any of your specific issues, feel free to start a thread and provide us with an outline of the problem, what triggers it, and any other information you feel is pertinent to helping troubleshoot the issues.  The more information you can provide (including the OS version (e.g. 4.7.0.148) and a list of your 3rd party applications) will assist us in helping you.

Good luck!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Visitor
xxxboss

I have only had my storm a couple of week and I am glad and frustrated to see I am not the only one to be experiencing these same problems
Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

Hi xxxboss, welcome to the forums and I'd like to suggest the same to you. 

If you'd like to start a seperate thread outline your exact problems, we may be able to help you sort out some of your issues.  I personally enjoy my Storm, but like with other users, there was a learning curve and after playing around with it for a while, I started learning how to make the Storm work right for me. 

So I'd encourage you to post your specific issues along with any troubleshooting steps you've already taken, and we'll do our best to assist.

Please use plain text.