Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Email Reconcile Screen Blank

Hi good folks who are so kind to help us out with our BBerry probs,

I am trying to help a coworker with her Storm 9530 (with all the latest software/OS updates) but am running into a couple of problems. 

She wants Outlook to stop showing her email as being opened when the message is delivered to her Blackberry. This happens even if she doesn't open the email on her Blackberry

• Using BIS (not BES) with Exchange server 
  • Setup with https://.../owa

From what I read in the forums, it looks like having email reconcilliation turned off should acheive this. Well, it didn't. Did I misunderstand what I read? It works on my personal BBerry Storm, but I am wondering if I did something else that would have caused this and not realized it. 

She gave her phone back to me and I went back in to check email reconcilliation again and when I select it, the screen is completely blank. A battery pull doesnt correct this.

Is there some way to reinstall the software that pertains to this problem or is there something else I need to do to correct this?

Thank you for any help you can give. If this has been addressed elsewhere just point the way and I apologize for taking up your time. I did search for an answer but was unsuccessful.  

Hall of Famer II
My Device: PRIV (5.1.1), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Email Reconcile Screen Blank

Hi and Welcome!

Odd that the screen is blank...very odd...

To start (and apologies if this is redundant), here are reference documents for setting up OWA via BIS:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB03133&sliceId=2&docTy...

Notice that this is written for doing so on the BIS website rather than the Storm interface -- same result, I personally just find it easier to use a PC and the BIS site to do so. To find your BIS website, use this reference:

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Where_can_I_log_into_my_BIS_account%3F

What I'd suggest is deleting the BIS profile, battery-pop rebooting, re-adding the BIS profile, and then seeing if things have cleared up.

At one time earlier on, I had a BIS/OWA configuration and did not experience the auto-read markings, yet I had full OTA reconciliation turned on. (Make sure that "Mailbox Wins" on conflict.)

Let us know the results...Cheers!

Get your 15% discount at ShopBlackBerry.com! Click Here for details.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.
Contributor

Thank you for the quick response.  Smiley Happy

I did use https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw to set it up, rather than the Storm interface.

Before I posted my question, I had already completely removed the account from BIS on the BIS site, deleted the service books from the phone, battery-pulled, readded the email account with BIS/OWA and sent service books. 

• BTW, This was strange: Even after I removed the account and deleted service books, the Storm was still getting email messages sent to it before I readded the account and resent service books.  

When I was actually able to see the email reconcilliation screen, I had reconcile turned off and 'mailbox wins' selected.

Is there a way to remove the BIS profile from the phone as well after I remove it from the BIS site? 

I'll go through it all once again for good measure and let you know what happens. 

Hall of Famer II

m00nbeast wrote:

• BTW, This was strange: Even after I removed the account and deleted service books, the Storm was still getting email messages sent to it before I readded the account and resent service books.  

Is there a way to remove the BIS profile from the phone as well after I remove it from the BIS site? 

I'll go through it all once again for good measure and let you know what happens.

Hi! Indeed...very strange...removing on the BIS website removes it from the HH. Or at least, that's how it's supposed to work! Indeed, the reverse is true...if you add or remove on the Storm interface, it'll show up next time you log into the BIS website. Again, that's how it's supposed to work. It almost sounds like it's associated with a different PIN. You might want to call the data services line of your carrier to see if they can look deeper -- I've had great luck with them when I've called (only needed to once).

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.
Contributor

You were right! 

I called VZ tech support. They helped me change the PIN that BIS was associated with and it corrected the error with the reconcile screen.

The jury is still out when it comes to Outlook marking stuff as read or not when it is sent to her handheld. I don't understand why the solution for that is so iffy. I'd think that it would be an established procedure requested by many. 

In any case, I really appreciate the help Smiley Happy

Hall of Famer II

m00nbeast wrote:

The jury is still out when it comes to Outlook marking stuff as read or not when it is sent to her handheld. I don't understand why the solution for that is so iffy. I'd think that it would be an established procedure requested by many. 

You are most welcome! I'm just glad my WAG :smileywink:worked!

As for the read-marks -- well, in all honesty (and IMHO), BES is the workhorse for BB's...BIS via OWA is a nice convenience, but not the primary focus. Keep tinkering with the settings...I am sure you will come up with a functional combination.

Cheers!