Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Shez08
My Device: Not Specified

Facebook Instant Messenger On Blackberry Storm

Can anyone tell me if i can access the Facebook IM on my Storm.  I currently have Facebook downloaded and use this however it doesn't seem to give me the option to use the IM service that you can access online.  Can someone please help?  Is there something else i need to download?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: Facebook Instant Messenger On Blackberry Storm

hello,

I assume you are talking about "Facebook Chat".
That feature is available on computers, using a browser that supports Adobe Flash.

the feature is also available to iPhone users, through the "Facebook app for iPhone".

the feature is available nowhere else.

The explanation is simply technical. Even though the Facebook chat relies on the Jabber protocol, the Facebook Chat is closed technology. Meaning no developer is able to develop to connect to it because they do not have the API documentation. In the specific case of the Apple iPhone, a Facebook employee was detached to work in an Apple developers team to make the API work. To this day I have not heard of such plans towards RIM developers teams.

It has been reported that the third party application http://www.nimbuzz.com/ can connect to Facebook Chat, but I never tried.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
babytraci

Palringo also has Facebook IM... I've used Nimbuzz and Palringo and neither seem to really keep a connection, but Palringo did seem to work better for me than Nimbuzz
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

FaceBook Chat is available for BlackBerry devices. Here are 10 applications that are either free or with free trial:

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/search/facebook/category/81?licenseType=3&lang=en

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kiro
My Device: storm
My Carrier: vodafone

Facebook chat is not available in app world for people which living in Greece and other european countries,simply because app world is not supported in these countries...for first time I see firm,which firm cheating its customers...awful

So if I want download some app for my blackberry I can't do that......Nobody has informed me when I bought my blackberry that'll be impossible to download app through app world...

where is the warning message?EXAMPLE;dear clients,when you buying our devices you have to know that you will be not allowed to download any app through our app store!!!

And why you sell your products in Greece dear RIM?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

kiro wrote:

Facebook chat is not available in app world for people which living in Greece and other european countries,simply because app world is not supported in these countries...for first time I see firm,which firm cheating its customers...awful

hello kiro,

did you know that AppWorld did not exist two years ago ? And that people could install applications on their BlackBerry devices ?

you can download applications even without being able to use AppWorld : check MobiHand store, or Handango store, or getjar store.

for example here : http://www.mobihand.com/platformMain.asp?platform=5&sString=facebook

you can also check other applications like IM+ .

kiro wrote:

Nobody has informed me when I bought my blackberry that'll be impossible to download app through app world...

first comment : the salesman who sold you the device could have told you... it's their job as a carrier.

second comment : as far as I know there is no reason to believe that AppWorld is available to you unless you are in one of the countries for which all mobile phone carriers have signed the AppWorld contract with RIM.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kiro

Thanks for your answer...Actually no,the seller didn't inform me when I bought the device...And let me ask you something:

Did you know that Apple's app store or Itune didn't exist 2 years ago?But even if I'm living in Tanzania I can download whatever I want,wherever I'm!!!

And did you know that android(Google's) app store didn't exist 1 year ago?But I can download whatever I want,wherever I'm 

If someone has informed me when I bought my smartphone I would straight buy other,more suitable for my country device!!!

Regards

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kiro

And YES...I could download app's even without world app,but only and only core app,third parties app's I couldn't do that....thats why I need some direct link,but some of the vendors doesn't have direct links....

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

kiro wrote:

And YES...I could download app's even without world app,but only and only core app,third parties app's I couldn't do that....thats why I need some direct link,but some of the vendors doesn't have direct links....

and I reply that there are more third party applications available outside AppWorld than third party applications available exclusively at AppWorld.

You talk of the past (where you shouldn't have bought a BlackBerry device), I am talking of the present (where you can today use MobiHand or Handango and install thousands of third party applications on your device from anywhere in the World). If you dont' want to download applications, it's okay.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sssisko

[ Edited ]

Hi,

ok,delightful answer,but I would like to ask you:

-give me please some place where I could download-Dealbook.nytimes?or may be Rebtel?

Perhaps I have to fly to some better places for my "Holly" Blackberry-England or USA or may be Germany and where I'll install my "Blackberry app world" to be possible to download these app's?

And if you buying some Ferrari and after the purchase someone,some clever CEO say you that you have to go to Italy to put gas in your car(only there you'll find the suitable gas for your car), and the price will be twice up(because you drive "the king"of the roads) what you'll do in that case?

Its 21 century ,and its stupid if I dont have full support for my Blackberry....But I think that I have answer:

[personal comments aimed at third party removed] that's it the answer about the mess in RIM!!!

Regards from sunny Greece

Please use plain text.