Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry storm

Fed up with the BB storm

I have had so many problems with this phone, and after I took it back to Verizon for an update it still gets me so wound up everyday!  I keep holding out hoping I'm just doing something wrong and it will miraculously start being "glitch free", but another day goes by and I want to throw it!!!  Am I alone here??  I love the apps and the look of it, but the phone won't answer always when calls come in, and that's just one of many problems.  The Browser is horrible, and I've only been able to get online twice since having the phone when it first came out!

Any suggestions???  Maybe I should just go back to the Curve!

thanks, so frustrated!!

Solutions: 6,134
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Fed up with the BB storm

Sure there are issues... read the posts here in this forum.

But there is also some help if you want it. For example, what probs are you having using the browser? The browser is actually one of the best things about the device.

Are you getting errors or ?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

tagsmom,

Official 75 was pretty stable for me.

I never had problems answering, and I have no trouble getting online with the browser.

Re: browser - make sure you mobile network is set to 1XEV, not Global.

I'm actually liking the phone more and more, as I learn how to use it - thanks to these and other forums. Two of my big frustrations - not knowing how to delete multiple emails, and not knowing the secret to easy cursor positioning, got solved from reading tips here.

Lastly, let me suggest one thing. Maybe wait until the next official update before final judgment. The latest leaked updates are showing that they are able to improve responsiveness and usability with improved firmware. I'm running  leaked 90, and it completely eliminated menu lags in my Weatherbug app, improved dramatically the lock/unlock function, and has increased the overall responsiveness of the phone in general. So, maybe you will be more pleased with the result (when it is ready for general consumption).

Message Edited by jhimmel on 01-24-2009 11:50 AM
Regular Contributor
My Device: Storm BB 9530T - Verizon

Well I just got mine and I'd say the first day or so was a little frustrating, adjusting to it's particular approach to navigation but I now love it.   I've had Motorola Q Phones, RAZR's, Pocket PC's, iPod Touch (this has to do with my work) and I really like the BlackBerry Storm a lot.

Every one of these devices have something that is not quite right to my way of thinking but, considered in the totality of it, this is a fine phone.

I have a real problem on forums in general when people come on and just hack up a big hairball of hate without even once actually saying what the biggest of their frustrations actually are.  Maybe someone can help you with them?  Maybe there is something that you missed?   For one example: On Verizon there are some set up things that if not done, you will have very poor phone performance.

Do you think you could express yourself objectively?   We could benefit from your observations and you might benefit from our responses.   Instead, all we know is someone we don't know and never met is miserable in an ill defined way.

New Contributor

I am done with my Storm. I have been very patient with dealing with all the bugs that it has. I have been on the phone with Verizon and RIM more in the 3 months I have had this phone then my first 6 years with Verizon. My screen has come loose  and just pops out on its own. I called Verizon and was told they would send me a replacement. When I asked if it was going to be new they told me no. I told them this is crazy as I paid $229 for my phone since I was not eligible for an upgrade. I also told them that how could they be send me a used phone when they have had so many issues. I opted to keep my broken phone instead of receiving someone else's problem phone. This past Thursday I hit a melting point. I have had issues that when in the middle of a phone conversation the person I am speaking to suddenly can't hear me. This has happen quite often but I was in the middle of a very important business conference call that I was conducting. Very embarrassing to say the least. I called Verizon again and they said they are sending me a refurb. I have been stewing over this all weekend. As soon as I get my used replacement tomorrow I am canceling my Verizon service and going elsewhere. Burns my butt that Verizon puts out a phone with so many issues yet doesn't accept responsibility for it.
Regular Contributor
My Device: Storm BB 9530T - Verizon

Joechiliman,

I am curious to know what phones you have used prior to the Storm.   It's funny because my business takes me to an aquaintence with all the popular smartphones.   They are all complex, less than perfect and somewhat buggy at their initial release.   

In my experience, people who value the features live with the quirks.   Also people who have had experience with early releases of technical devices are patient and wait for the software updates.  

As for getting a refurb from Verizon, they are not simply reboxed.  They are extensively reworked and tested. It's very easy for the rework plant to replace the plastic shell so it looks nice and that is what they do.    Effectively, they are as new as what you currently have.  In my experience, they are indistinguishable from new though not packed up in the pretty retail packaging.

It would be interesting to know what you are comparing this with or whether you simply had an unreasonably high expectation.    If you look on samsung blackjack or motorola q forums, you can find persons of like mind to yours.   Those too are great devices with quirks.

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Storm2 (9550)
My Carrier: Verizon

joechiliman wrote:
I have had issues that when in the middle of a phone conversation the person I am speaking to suddenly can't hear me. This has happen quite often

You're probably hitting the Mute key with your face.  Look at TalkLock (free) or StormLock ($). 

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry storm

I hit the mute key all the time with my face.  Too sensitive.  But my biggest complaint (which I've taken to Verizon) is that when a call comes in, I will hit the screen, nothing...hit the actual talk button nothing!  It just bounces from landscape to portrait and I willl have both keyboard on at once, and I will miss the call!!!  It happens all the time.  I took it to Verizon and of course it worked fine the one time he tried it, and said it was fine.....pissed me off!!!  I am so close to throwing this phone against a wall everyday.  I loved the curve, but I like some of the features on this one.  So frustrating.

New Contributor

I used the 8830 until the Curve came out. Never had an issue with either one. As for hitting the mute key with my face that has not been the issue as even if I hit the mute key to get it off mute I still can't be heard by the person I am speaking to. My main issue started out as being that the screen would pop out. I understand what you are saying as far as then testing a refurb but honestly when you buy a new phone you should have the issues with quality of the product. I understand the software bugs. Also why should you get a used phone when the one you have is 2 months old?
New Contributor

Joe...I feel ur pain brother.  I am really fed up with my Storm.. They are sending me supposedly a "new" replacement in a few days..  It is very sad to even release such a headache to the consumers..and then not even have not 1 tech at Verizon who knows what the heck they are talking about with this device.  Im having multiple ongoing issues with my Storm, mine doesnt do what ur talking about but my wife's phone does do it....constantly when she is on the phone with me its like she hung up on me... my issues include....screen constantly freezing up on me, screen rotates by itself even if I dont rotate the phone, constant random reboots, when I try to send a pic to anyone, not matter the pic size or whatever, it sends it upside down.. Until RIM releases updates for these issues, and I mean soon...  There is going to be alot of Storms sitting around in warehouses completely useless to its consumers..  gl bro..