Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Freeze, Re-boots, Battery Pulls, OS upgrades, No Apps, Tech Support, I'm tired of it!!

Admit it folks, great email capabilities...what else?? I know tough to find anything else besides that.  I have posted prior to this, a few times for Storm issues, no...really! And a rant or two out of frustration.

My purpose now is to maybe get a corporate response/statement, etc. regarding the "Sprinkle" and plans to stabilize even the simplest tasks and perform th fucntions it was designed for.

I am tired of calling, driving, troubleshooting, battery pulling, wiping, upgrading "leaked" OS upgrades, forum surfing, etc.  Yes, I know, get a replacement...they all have the same issues, read the forums.  I haven't the time to play technical support on my own storm.  I purchased it as a busniess tool, it barely makes calls.  The cameras still don't work (have wiped the system, resinstalled, upgraded and still says apps running, could not start)

Simple things are poorly designed.  IPhone you attach a picture to a phone number it fills the screen, Storm? you can't see it (yes, you can install an app made in somebody's basement for the full screen affect).

Speaking of Apps, what a Joke! Compare http://www.apple.com/iphone/appstore/ to the Storm App availability.  IPhone's are professionally designed, tested.  Storms are made in the basement of some 14 year old, drain battery, hog memory.  What's the point?

I will complain (see para. 3) until my contract runs out or I see positive change.

The Storm is Junk and I will carry the message as far as I can until I see change, not a new add, change.  And since I travel internationally and often, I'm sure I can affect the decisions of some if not many.  As in the automotive industry, product, product, product.  If the product stinks (see chrylser, saturn, saab, hummer, mercury, volvo) they will not buy it.  If its a good product and the service stinks, they'll still buy it.  In Blackberry's case, the product stinks.

I do want to acknolwledge those people (Krypto, Bifocals, Jeff, etc.) who respond and assist all with the MANY issues, obviously I don't have the patience or technical knowhow, great job and thanks.  But even you can't sten the flow of issues.

I don't accept the argument that this is new technology - no it's not!.  Touch screen, color PDA's, computers, radars, GPS's and phones have been the norm for years.  BB tried to prematurely capture and slow down the IPhone sales, instead I think they accelated it.

Sorry, but it's the truth.

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Storm2 (9550)
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Freeze, Re-boots, Battery Pulls, OS upgrades, No Apps, Tech Support, I'm tired of it!!

RE: the apps... come on... you have to be kidding me with comparing the Apple app store to the app store (non-existent yet) of Blackberry.  It's been said that an app store is coming for the Storm/Blackberry.  

I feel like a broken record already - Apple did not have an app store, nor did they have the apps available for the iPhone at just 3 months after it's debut.  Why do people always say that one of the reasons the Storm "sucks" is because it doesn't have the same number of apps available?  Well ask any 6 month old kid why they don't walk yet.  I mean afterall, kids that are 12 months old can walk. 

The Storm is no perfect device by any means, but I feel like that many of the things people are complaining about are due to the nature of something new and different. 

"Touch screen, color PDA's, computers, radars, GPS's and phones have been the norm for years."

True... but how many color PDA's have touch screen with GPS and phone all in one device?  Individually each item is stable, but it's when you try to integrate those functions that things get complicated.  Answer me this... what year did American cars come standard with cupholders?  I'm going to guess sometime in the late '70's/early '80's  My point is that cups/bottles/cans/fast food drive-thru existed looooong before cupholders in cars.  Remember those cupholders you could hang from the window?  The guy that designed those made a fortune until car companies started adding their own built-in.  In other words, sometimes it takes a bit of time to integrate "technology" so that it works with existing technology.    

Developer

Re: Freeze, Re-boots, Battery Pulls, OS upgrades, No Apps, Tech Support, I'm tired of it!!

I'm just another contributer like yourself, but I don't think you are being fair. First of all the product consists of 2 halves. The first is hardware, the other is software. The hardware is almost IDENTICAL to that of the iphone, so be careful when you say the product sucks. In fact, in many of the hardware areas, the Storm is better than the iphone. It has a higher resolution camera. It has video. It has a higher resolution screen. The development environment is MUCH better supporting industry standard J2ME MIDP/CDLC. iPhone is off doing XCode and Objective C where any 3rd party app can crash your phone and destroy databases belonging to other apps. In theory this is not possible on the storm.

I really don't know why you are out there installing leaked versions of the OS. That was not wise. Did RIM advise you to do this? I'm a developer and I won't do this.

I've had NONE of the problems that you are having. All the apps run as advertised. The camera works fine as does the video. The email tools are wonderful. The Browser isn't half bad. I admit that the keyboard click thing isn't what I'd hope it'd be. I think I could type faster using real buttons.....but it works. Apple doesn't have a decent input technique from those friends I know that have them. The iPhone does have some nice scrolling and zoom functionality using 2 fingers and thats about it.

The Storm has really only been out since Christmas. The iPhone has been out for what....2 years already????

Wait 2 years and see what the storm has available for it. I really didn't see many decent apps for the iPhone...mostly games. All the web stuff like eBay access are available for free on the Storm. I have a weblink that is an ebay icon that I just click and it connects me to mobile ebay....free of charge. I know that there are some nice book apps on the iPhone for reading text that aren't available quite yet, but they are coming.....rest assured. With Verizon and RIM supporting this in the US, and Vodafone in europe I think, you can count on it. Thats a lot of users. That equates to a large market and thus, hungry developers.

Note that while Apple forces it's people to use a single store, any developer can sell apps for the iPhone anywhere they want.....so while there is one apple store, there are currently about 10 Storm stores, and it's only been out since Christmas (look at handango or crackberry.....just google it).

Now, as for your personal problems with the phone. I would call up my provider (Verizon or whomever.....not RIM) and insist that they replace your phone. You need a new phone if you are having the kinds of problems you are having, and please, this time, leave the OS alone. Do NOT install any leaked versions. ONLY do what Verizon tells you to do with respect to updates to the operating system.

You say you are a business user, then the only apps you'll want a version of tools to do MS Office work, which exist in several versions already...including excel and powerpoint.

What else do you want? The media player is perfect for any audio, video or picture management. The camera works just fine. There are direct weblinks available for free for CNN, ebay, Paypal, google mobile apps, google maps (which even zoom like the desktop app to the street level to your GPS location).

What else do you want? I'll bet if you put a list on the table and search on the web, that it already exists if it's in any way not an unusual request. ....and if it doesn't....it's coming.

So, my suggestion is that you go to your CARRIER and get them to provide you with a new phone....immediately....I've never had a problem with Verizon in that respect. You just got a bad phone.

Good luck....I really do hope that your next phone works better.

-Donald

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Well said.  I'm surprised people don't seem to be able to understand this.  Yes, there are things you can do to try to resolve problems, but if your phone doesn't function as it's supposed to, absolutely take it in.  That's why these things have warranties.  And in many cases, if it's a software issue, that issue can often be resolved in store (you'd be surprised at the tech support BlackBerry is willing to provide on this if you go through the correct channels and if you approach it the right way - and trust me, yelling, getting mad, or coming into the store on the offensive is not the right way).

Good luck!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Developer

I looked into it a little bit more.

Guess what? When the  iPhone came out, there were NO, NONE NADA, apps for the IPHONE, they were ALL webapps, which are just webpages using html and javascript. I tried to run one, and it ran on my STORM, so GUESS WHAT? MOST IPHONE WEB APPS WILL RUN IN THE BROWSER ON THE STORM!!!!!

Now, there is a new development environment which is XCode and Objective C. This is left over from Nextstep and is a non-standard load of junk which can kill other apps and is not secure. Secondly, while Apple says they don't need Java (which means their browser can't look at sites with java). The real reason is that they don't want to pay sun a fee for using Java. Apple always wants to use their own software to increase their profits. They don't care about standards or open phone or how good the 3rd party apps are. Look at the Google phone. It is using J2ME like the storm. The storm is going the right way. There are 3rd party people selling J2ME for the Iphone. So, to get the best out of your iphone, you'll need to buy java for it. Now there is a kludge. Now what happens if there is more than one version?????. Can you say screwed?

The reason that there is an apple app store is because they want you to use itunes and there isn't a way to stop you from browsing a website (web app) by paying except by serving them from an app store. Thats not necessary for the Storm. The storm ALSO supports yet another type of application which uses web services to a blackberry server for the nicest interfaces quickly working with full enterprise servers for inter company applications. This is very cool.

So, in comparison, the Storm already has better than what the iphone started with by a longshot and it's only 3 months old. The storm, has free better development tools for standalone apps and has better tools for web apps for 2 kinds of web apps. The storm, in addition has these forums, which as a developer I can say are outstanding as a means of support.

So, switch your darn phone.

Regular Contributor

You know, it's absolutely remarkable to me that people have the audacity to wriote things like "I've had NONE of the problems that you are having. All the apps run as advertised. The camera works fine as does the video."   TOTAL BS... I (and I doubt anyone else here) believes a thing you wrote after reading that.  Just another apologist for Rim and that's a fact!

This phone is incredibly flawed and was simply pushed to market by the marketing people.  Oh well, screwed again. 

Developer

First of all "CHILL OUT!".

I don't work for RIM and I resent being called an apologist. I'm a software engineer with about 25 years experience working on embedded systems mostly. I'm currently unemployed and have been for a little over a year and decided that I better start my own business since I can't find work. I had just gotten the BB Storm and I thought there is a market for software for this baby, so I decided to first check it out. I was pleasently surprised and fell in love with the JDE and development software. I wish I could get a bit closer to the hardware (but that's the embedded guy in me coming out).

So, thats me. At this point I'd consider myself close to an expert in developing for the Storm and I'm pretty familiar with the insides. I checked out the stripdown that is available on the web to determine the hardware. The memory is not documented anywhere and I had to use that teardown to figure it out.

The Storm contains 1GByte of OneNand fast flash memory broken into 2 blocks....128MByte of application space and 872MByte of data space used for persistent data and an internal file system. In addition there is an external SD card of NAND memory (8GByte of slow flash) and 128MByte of RAM for running the actual processes and for allocating memory.

FACTS THAT I STATED backed by data.

1. The Storm hardware is mostly as good if not better than the IPhone.

2. IPhone initial apps were just web apps.....not real apps. They mostly run on the Storm browser right now. I tried one randomly and it ran just fine.

3. Apple stated that Java is useless because they didn't want to pay SUN.

4. As a result, the only internal apps have to be based on XCode and Objective C (or similar methods). J2ME is an external expensive product for IPhone users. WIthout it, the browser cannot run java and java apps cannot run on the iPhone. Objective C can use C pointers and so is a security nightmare. J2ME cannot allow this. So, J2ME is a more secure system. So, the Storm is a more secure phone.

5. I got my phone in late December and my phone worked perfectly. I have not used an app that crashed other than some initial code that I wrote myself :-) I ONE TIME did have the virtual keyboard not swap around between vertical and horizontal formats properly with one half stuck in each mode. I just turned the keyboard off and on again and it fixed the problem. It did not repeat itself. Note that I'm not saying that there are no bugs, but anything I saw was very minor. Pretty standard for a new product. Please note that the Iphone had bugs too when it first came out.

6. I agree that they released the Storm too early in November and had to rerelease later. Any of the older phones if they waited and PROPERLY installed the APPROVED upgrade to the OS, should have the EXACT same hardware and software as I received.

OK, so back to the insults by that last feller :-)

Please outline the areas in which the camera and video do not work. I admit I haven't been a regular life magazine, but I have taken a few snapshots and video clips and they worked just fine. You said that you didn't believe me. I assure you I am not alone.

You have thrown down the gauntlet sir.

I can prove all the items I stated above. I dare say, I can prove that the camera works fine and video works fine. You made a Bold statement that everything I said was rubbish as the camera and video doesn't work. Please state, for the record, in what way, does the camera not work and in what way does the video not work?

Maybe I can help you get it running or teach you how to use it. It's pretty self explanatory. I didn't even have to use a manual. So, please reiterate, providing details this time.

Thank You

-D

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Gravitystorm wrote:

You know, it's absolutely remarkable to me that people have the audacity to wriote things like "I've had NONE of the problems that you are having. All the apps run as advertised. The camera works fine as does the video."   TOTAL BS... I (and I doubt anyone else here) believes a thing you wrote after reading that.  Just another apologist for Rim and that's a fact!

This phone is incredibly flawed and was simply pushed to market by the marketing people.  Oh well, screwed again. 

I should mention that my most recent attempt at the use of an unofficial OS now makes the camera good...  The camera is now fast (like it should have been) and the video camera works perfectly.

As has been stated before, hang on a little longer.  I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised when the next official OS is released.  In this case, patience is well worth it!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Highlighted
New Contributor

i just love how some of these guys have signatures:

'if you can't weather the storm, you don't deserve one'

i don't want to have to weather anything, nevermind a phone i'm paying 100 bucks a month for.

- sal

Developer

Who had that signature? I checked and can't see the one you mentioned????

I am not going to weather anything either.

You pay $100 a month????!!!!????

Thats expensive.

I pay something like $30 for the data plan (unlimited) and I think it's $50 for everything else, including a phone warranty and the text message bulk program. I'm with Verizon.

I also only paid $99 for the phone.....

It's actually only about $20 more expensive than my last non-smart phone....and that's because I kept things like the text message deal. I really don't use text messaging that much so I may remove that and save an extra $10 per month or so.

BTW, I didn't see anyone with that signature you mentioned on this thread? Are you sure you posted to the right thread?

I guess I don't know what people have all of a sudden started attacking the people, instead of the argument. That is unnecessary, and I have found from experience, when people don't have a leg to stand on with respect to the argument, they attack the person instead.

The issue here is that One person clearly bought a broken phone, and needs to repair it. Then Krypto in MARCH 2008!!!! had some camera problems which I'm sure are fixed. 

Then GravityStorm decided to attack me instead of the argument, and now you seem to be attacking someone who isn't even here?

Listen up people please. If you have a phone you do not like and it's broken for you, then return it and buy a different phone. Nobody is forcing you to keep it, and if you kept it beyond the return date, I have to ask WHY on earth did you do that if you hate the thing?????

I love my Storm, and I'm so glad that these issues were brought up, as it forced me to research the IPhone more, and I have to say that I'm much less impressed with the iphone since I read thia.

As, I've stated, the ONLY thing that the IPhone seems to have in it's favor is the 2 finger UI mechanism which I must say is very nice. It's going to have to provide something better to control though for me to care to use that.

I'll give you another example I just saw. There is an App for that....for recording voice messages....for $5 or something like that.....for the Iphone. That is standard with the Storm and looks much more professional with the storm.

I'm just not that impressed with the IPhone any more. I was before I researched this. I actually thought that they had something amazing in their apps the way everyone is swooning over the UI. However, it turns out that Apple never intended for anyone to develop on the IPhone at all but to do everying as web apps using Javascript and the Canvas HTML tag.

Sorry, Storm apps are way more powerful than that.

Also as already stated, the new Apple development environment is ugly, difficult to get working on Windows (Pretty much everyone that has used it has had problems getting development tools working on windows, and you must get it running over cygnus). I even think that many of the tools require the use of command line tools too instead of a single GUI IDE like the blackberry JDE.....ugly. I have a hard time believing that such an environment is going to deliver a lot of cool apps that are significantly better than the storm, considering how close the hardware is.

Good luck all.

Thanks

-D