Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
j121323
My Device: Not Specified

G-mail Issues....

After setting up my gmail mailbox in my new storm phone, I was disappointed to discover how the "delete on mailbox & handheld" option would actually delete the message in my gmail account.  Anyone who uses gmail knows that messages are rarely deleted - they are normally archived.

So my question:  does anyone know how to set up the blackberry mailbox to archive gmail messages?

(and yes, I've already downloaded the gmail app - it works fine, but creates an extra step in the mail filing process)

Thanks.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: G-mail Issues....

Just don't select Delete on mailbox.

Messages > Options > Email Reconciliation > select the gmail address and set to delete only on the handheld never on the email server. It won't touch your gmail account to delete.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
j121323

Ok, but that would just leave the messages in my inbox after they're been read... that's basically what I'm trying to avoid.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Can't you set your gmail account to archive at a certain point?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Forums Advisor I
kentonvannatten
My Device: Storm2 (9550)

j121323 wrote:

I was disappointed to discover how the "delete on mailbox & handheld" option would actually delete the message

I read this and nearly fell off my chair laughing.  OMG it actually does what it says!

Tips I use for using my gmail with the Storm:

1)  filter as much non-essential mail as possible via BIS

2)  use the Gmail only for pertinent emails that I would need to receive while away from my computer

3)  Only delete on Handheld (unless you know you don't need it)

4)  Check Gmail from a computer when possible to sift through all of the "jokes" my friend Marie sends me.

I would recommend using the BB as an addition to your computer when you can not access one, not as a replacement.     

New Contributor
j121323

I apologize for not explaining myself:

On other phones, for example those made by Palm, there is a similar option to delete the message on the handheld and in the mailbox - but for some reason, it has been programmed to archive it rather than actually put in the "Trash" folder.  Therefore, knowing that it can be accomplished on other handhelds, I wanted to know if anyone has heard of it being done that way on a BlackBerry.

New Contributor
bobbybrown

You could set up a 2nd Gmail account and forward a copy of all your mail to there. Then you instantly have an archive, and don't have to worry about messages getting deleted off your original account.