Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
bricheda
My Device: Storm 9530

Gmail Freeze

[ Edited ]

Hey Guys,

I have two email accounts on my storm, both Gmail.  On account A, I can click on the symbol on the homescreen and open up the inbox and check my messages.  Everything works normally.

On account B, I try to click on the inbox in the homescreen and my BB freezes.  After I touch/click on the inbox and try to open it, the whole screen freezes and it won't respond to my touch, even if I hit the escape or BB buttons.  If I hit the End (red) button, everything starts back normally.  Also, if I hit the send (green) button, the phone app pops up and everything works again.

Anybody have any ideas?  I tried a battery pull and that didn't seem to work, neither did resetting the host routing table or service log.  I'm pretty new at this, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ben

Edit:

Carrier: Verizon

Model: Storm 9530

Apps: Facebook, google maps, quickpull, BB app world

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,951
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Gmail Freeze

I'd try deleting the account from your BIS login area, then delete the corresponding service books to that email address (Options > Advanced > Service Books), reboot (With the BlackBerry device powered ON, remove the battery a few seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot).

Then, re-add the account.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bricheda

Thanks for the prompt response, but it was to no success I'm afraid.

I did everything you laid out and it still froze.  The one thing I did notice is that when I got the set-up and synchronization emails, after I tried to open them and had to un-freeze everything  again, the new messages weren't marked as new anymore but they were still marked unread.

The only difference between the two accounts that i can think of is that Account B is linked to Apple Mail on my MacBook, although that didn't seem to matter in the beginning...

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Please use plain text.
JSanders

What happens if you open a message to this ailing Account B from within the main messages folder -- not from the single email-specific folder?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bricheda

[ Edited ]

If I open the message from the main mesages folder, everything works fine. I can check messages and even send emails from AilingAccountB@gmail.com.

Edit:

I forgot that I also have the Gmail Enhanced Plug-in too, I'm pretty sure.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Please use plain text.
JSanders

I haven't found anything in the Knowledge Base here specifically on that issue, but I did find this, that looks interesting--if not slightly similar.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB04792&slic...

Read Resolution #5... maybe worth a try?

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bricheda

[ Edited ]

I tried options 4 and 5, but to no avail.  Thanks for the continued support though.

I'll keep looking.  What I could find on the internet was mostly from forums.  It seems like someone else was having this problem too, but awhile back with no solution:  http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Bold-9700-smartphone/Email-Gmail-Inbox-Freeze/td-p...

The main solution I could find was to wipe the BB and reinstall the OS: http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/anyone-having-problems-gmail-plugin-w-328-a-347267/ (although this seems a bit drastic, especially because I'm not quite sure what it all entails).

I also tried to uninstall then reinstall the Gmail plug in.  It didn't fix the original problem, but now I'm getting this Uncaught Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException message too.  Maybe the two problems are related.  Should I start going through and deleting app's to find the cause?

Edit:

Apps:

3rd Party: Backup Assistant, Google Maps, QuickPull Free, and QuickPullLib (I'm not sure what this does, but it shows up on my app list)

Add-on's:  BB app world, BB Messenger, Enhanced Gmail Plug in, Facebook.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

If you perform a complete backup of the device using Desktop Manager... wiping and reinstalling the device OS is not that big a deal. Sounds drastic, but with a backup you'll be back up and running in an hour or two.

There are two different kinds of "wipe", one more drastic than the other.

The first is an Options > Security > Wipe and really only removes personal information, data, accounts, etc., and the device OS remains intact.

The second is more akin to a reformatting of a PC hard drive.

I would recommend the first and see if that works, initially.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bricheda

The security wipe seems to be working for now.  I'm going to slowly install the app's I had, starting with Facebook and see where that gets me.  Thanks for the help.

Please use plain text.
mambelles
My Device: Pearl

Same problem.  Mine started today, email was working fine, but calendar was blank.  After many tries at various solutions, my helpdesk did the #1 wipe suggested above.  Calendar is now fine, receiving emails, but bb freezes everytime i try to access a gmail email.  I also got the same Uncaught exception: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException AFTER the wipe.  Help!

Please use plain text.