Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Forums Advisor II
FA1SGL
My Device: 9550 Storm2/Verizon
My Carrier: Verizon

Google Maps Navigation

I, like, perhaps many Blackberry in general and Storm in particular owners use a GPS Navigation application or have opted to puchase a standalone device.

I, currently am using Verizon's costly and quirky Verizon Navigator on my Storm.  I find that while it generally works well on the nuts and bolts navigation it is woefully inadequate with the POI aspects of navigation.  The Verizon business model of charging a monthly fee is another sore point for me.  I would much prefer that they charge a reasonable fee for the application and be done with it.  That being, I pay quite enough to Verizon on a monthly basis.

I am a dedicated Google/gmail/Google Apps user and was intrigued when they blogged the fielding of Google Maps/Navigation (Beta).

http://www.google.com/mobile/navigation/index.html#utm_campaign=en&utm_source=gh0smm&utm_medium=ha&u...

Apparently for now it is only for the Droid running Android 2.0.  I am basing this on the use of the word currently in:

Google Maps Navigation is currently only available in the United States on phones that run Android 2.0, including the Droid.

Having the resources of Google to facilitate navigation would be outstanding.  Knowing that some of the members of this forum are dedicated technophiles and BB enthusiasts has me asking:

Has anyone heard anything about the intentions of Google regarding a roll out of Maps/Navigation to other instruments?

I don't see them ignoring the Legions of Blackberry owners.   I would think the touchscreen ability of the Storm would ease the transition of the application to at least the Storm/Storm 2.

Наглый пес! Вы должны быть благодарны мы даем Вам возможность проживать в нашем мире!
BB 9550 Verizon OS 5.0.0.1015 My Storm My Blackberry My Lifeline
If there is a Theme on my Blackberry, Hedone it!
If someone successfully helped you with an issue, say thank you by clicking "kudos" in their post and clicking the star.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post that solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,952
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

Re: Google Maps Navigation

My bet is that it will be around sooner, than later, on the BlackBerry.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bubbafat
My Device: 9900

[ Edited ]

Or later than sooner

2 years four months so far

Please use plain text.
JSanders

I use Google Maps for navigation all the time. Once just today. Very available on the. BlackBerry now.

So, sooner.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bubbafat
My Device: 9900

There is a differnece between "GOOGLE MAPS MOBILE" (which runs on the blackberry, it has been out since 2006, I have been using it for years, it can "get directions" that only plots a line from starting to ending points with waypoints in the line segments, the map only points north, it doesn't recalculate directions if you go off course) and the other version, "GOOGLE MAPS NAVIGATION" which is available only on the android platform after selecting "get directions" you then can select "NAVIGATE".

Google maps Navigation is not available for Blackberry.  You get turn by turn navigation with voice.  It recalculates directions when you go off course.  It shows heading up instead of North up.  Watch people demonstrating it on youtube.

So Never than sooner.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
shawnreum
My Device: curve 8530

Google use to support sprints navigation app years and years ago. I don't see them coming back to blackberry any time soon. As you can tell android app market is now google store apps. Why would a company invest their time and resorces on a totally different platform. If anything, I see blackberry having to come up with something that will run android apps. I have heard the Z10 can side load some of the android google apps. But they only partially work.
Please use plain text.
JSanders

shawnreum wrote:
 I have heard the Z10 can side load some of the android google apps. But they only partially work.

I have had Google Maps sideloaded on my Z10 Since February, works fine.

BlackBerry Maps works smoother.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.