Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: HOW DO I COPY CONTACTS TO SIM?????

Well, RIM provides several methods to extract your data for use in other things. You can extract, on a PC, to CSV and then import that to something else (depends on the capabilities of that "something else", of course). You can configure to use a desktop PIM (e.g., Outlook) as your master data source, synchronizing the data to the BB on a regular basis. You can "master" your data at Yahoo or Google (contacts, calendar) and synchronize it OTA with your BB. Let's see, how may other ways...oh, you can backup to the PC, and use a 3rd party app on the PC to parse and present the data for other use.

All of this, of course, depends on the capabilities of the other device intended as the destination. For me, and for business use, I certainly would be operating in a very conservative mode so that my data is protected as well as most easy to work with...which, for me, means Outlook as the "master".

All that said...is this unique to BB? I've no way to know. But I do know that the limitations of the SIM address book are severe, and NOT RIMs fault. RIM simply must live within the confines of what the SIM address book can do. For instance, the SIM address book is limited to one name entry to one phone number entry while the BB address book can have one name entry and multiple phone numbers (to say nothing about multiple email addresses, physical addresses, birthdays, anniversaries, notes, etc.)...that data cannot be wholesale copied to the SIM since the data elements and data structure are just not complimentary; the BB address book has outgrown the SIM capabilities. But RIM cannot change the capabilities of the SIM...that is not in their control.

So, back to the original problem...depending on the capabilities of the destination temporary device, there are many options. But, if that device is solely capable of having it's address book on the SIM, then that limits what can be done with the BB to adding, one by one, each phone number to the SIM (with multiple entries per person, if they have multiple phone numbers). I wonder what the physical limit of quantity of entries is on the SIM? That might also be something to consider...especially with the multiple entry requirement on the SIM for one name/multiple numbers.

If the destination device has any other capabilities (e.g., a USB cord and the ability to somehow interface with the PC), then investigating what those are and taking advantage of those to migrate the necessary data would be a useful endeavor, I would think.

I wish I could tell you that it could do exactly what you desire...sadly, my magical powers do not extend to that length! But, I am willing to help you understand what the limits and capabilities are, so that perhaps you can find a solution that feels better than you presently envision.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Redginal
My Device: 9820
My Carrier: mtn

Yes that's possible but we want to know if one could copy all the contacts not s single number. All android phones can do it, why not the overrated BlackBerry?
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,825
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

No. You can't. It's clearly answered above.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Redginal

Check the previous post please and if we could get the "copy to Sim contacts" from Blackberry store
Please use plain text.
JSanders

Which previous post? This thread is over two years old.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Redginal

I have not been helped, seems like someone hijacked my question
Please use plain text.
JSanders

Redginal wrote:

Again, to repeat, no you cannot copy all contacts to your SIM card in one move.

You need to understand that your contacts in the Address Book may contain physical addresses, email addresses, etc., and the SIM card can ONLY hold one name and one phone number per record.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Redginal wrote:

Yes, to reiterate yet again...it seems you are not actually reading the answers to your question...please do so. As has now been said multiple times, what you desire simply cannot be done as it is beyond the limitations of the BB device. There are reasons for the limitations, but you need to read what has already been posted in order to understand all of that. From your recent responses, it appears that you have neglected to do so.

No one has hijacked your question...rather, you have ignored the responses. If you desire clarification of any points, please be quite specific about what you need to better understand.

Good luck.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
JSanders

sdgardne wrote:

Redginal wrote:

No one has hijacked your question...r

Well, actually, there was earlier a threadcrap post on a different subject unrelated, which I've answered and asked the moderators to extract from this thread... which they have, so you don't see it.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
0ctane
My Device: BB 9780
My Carrier: Singtel / Vodafone

[ Edited ]

Hey guys, was just reading through the posts and i have a question. My blackberry is nearing the end of its lifespan (starting to behave a little weird) and am in the process of getting a new one (which will take a while). However, i'm currently using my iPhone 4 as a spare phone and need to transfer my contacts there. Is there any way i can do this? Do i save my contacts into the SIM card and put it in my iPhone? Or do i have to use the method stated in an earlier post of "How to export contacts from a Blackberry smartphone using the Desktop Software 6". Would like to transfer quite a number of contacts, so one by one may not be the best way. Thanks a lot.

Please use plain text.