If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
gillakbs
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Orange

Re: HOW DO I COPY CONTACTS TO SIM?????

ok, how can i copy all my contacts on my blackberry bold 9780 to a samsung e1120 in one fell swoop, youre probably going to tell me its not possible, in one fell swoop...

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

[ Edited ]

gillakbs wrote:

ok, how can i copy all my contacts on my blackberry bold 9780 to a samsung e1120 in one fell swoop, youre probably going to tell me its not possible, in one fell swoop...

Not knowing your actual expectation ("one fell swoop" is too much of a colloquialism), I can't know if I'm going to actually give you exactly what you desire. I sort of doubt it, especially if you want to (e.g.,) "push one button and move all contacts between the two devices"...probably not going to happen. I don't know any cross-platform thing that would do what you want, btw...well, save for BB, but it's the other way around and for a limited set of devices...it's called the Device Switch Wizard, and it facilitates shifting from some other devices over to a BB. But, as one would of course expect, going FROM a BB isn't as well provided for by RIM (which, in a commercial society, isn't all that hard to understand the rationale for). But, maybe Samsung has an app that provides what you desire? Have you researched their offerings? After all, you are moving "to" them...typically, in our commercial society, the recipient is the one that bears the brunt of providing the most useful tools.

So, here are some choices, but you must first figure out what your Samsung can do. I have no experience with that, so can't tell you what it can do. If you can figure out what it can do, then that will help you greatly...you might find help on Samsung-dedicated sites.

But, here is what the BB can do for this situation.:

Export to CSV:

• KB24488 How to export contacts from a BlackBerry smartphone using BlackBerry Desktop Software 6

I realize that RIM hasn't yet updated that KB for the latest Desktop Software version, but the process should be largely the same. The resulting file will hopefully be usable by something Samsung provided you for importing.

Use a Desktop PIM as the "master" data source:

• KB12268Applications supported by BlackBerry Desktop Software for Windows for synchronization
  • KB03315 How to synchronize organizer data (calendar, task list, memo list, and contact list) using the BlackBerry Desktop Software

Again, you have to see what the Samsung can do in this regard...if it can synchronize with a Desktop PIM, then this would actually be the best approach IMHO.

That's pretty much the options...many other devices can also import a CSV and/or synchronize to a PC Desktop PIM, but I have no idea about your Samsung device, so can't guide you there. You also might find utility with some on-line providers (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo)...some devices can synchronize calendar/contacts with the email server OTA...but, then again, you'd still have to get your data into that service, and you still need to know the capabilities of the Samsung.

I do fear I've not given you what you want...but I never promised to do so. All I can give you is truth and honesty. But, again, you need to know the capabilities of your new device so that you can know what is the best path for extracting your data from your BB.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,870
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

gillakbs wrote:

Would have to know what the Samsung will take to make this work. We know BlackBerrys, not Samsung devices.

You're really being a difficult person. You could try being nice and much more help.

Your decision.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Cestmoi
My Device: Torch 9800

then is it possible to import the csv file to the BB SIM card? my husband is changing from BB Pearl to a basic simple phone, as he wants fewer features (I know! tell me about it!) and I'm trying to put his basic contact details (just phone numbers would do) on his SIM to use in his new phone.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Cestmoi wrote:
then is it possible to import the csv file to the BB SIM card? my husband is changing from BB Pearl to a basic simple phone, as he wants fewer features (I know! tell me about it!) and I'm trying to put his basic contact details (just phone numbers would do) on his SIM to use in his new phone.

Hello,

Nope...copying contacts to the SIM is a one-by-one, painfully slow process. 

• KB04205 Copy a contact to your SIM phone book

Other processes can be quicker and in batches, but from the BB to the SIM is one by one, and I know of now way to do any mass import from anything to the SIM. As you know, the SIM has very limited capabilities, so batching things would actually be a challenge since it's coming from a robust contact list to a very simple one...so batching really doesn't work in that direction.

Now, if that "simple phone" has some other import capability of it's own, then it might be possible to import to it from CSV (which could be exported from the BB). But, that depends 100% on the capabilities of that other "simple phone".

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Cestmoi
My Device: Torch 9800

Thanks for the reply, though disappointing!  The new phone is a Doro Easy 610 and doesn't have an import facility so we are laboriously transferring all the numbers he wants one by one to the BB SIM to move into tne Doro one. In that phone, we can transfer in either direction.

Thanks again for such prompt assistance

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are most welcome...and good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lifeaidbob
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9300
My Carrier: Virgin

I agree with the original question

There are HUNDREDS of reasons for needing to copy a whole address book to a sim!

eg  Right now I have a problem with the scroll button on my blackberry and need to return it for a repair.  I have bought a cheap samsung mobile from tescos to use while my mobile is away and I have around 400 phone no's to copy to my sim so that I can see them on my temporary phone.

Suggesting that they need to be copied one at a time - has to be a wind me up.  Seriously HOW do you copy a whole address book to a sim on a Blackberry Curve 9300?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

lifeaidbob wrote:

I agree with the original question

There are HUNDREDS of reasons for needing to copy a whole address book to a sim!

eg  Right now I have a problem with the scroll button on my blackberry and need to return it for a repair.  I have bought a cheap samsung mobile from tescos to use while my mobile is away and I have around 400 phone no's to copy to my sim so that I can see them on my temporary phone.

Suggesting that they need to be copied one at a time - has to be a wind me up.  Seriously HOW do you copy a whole address book to a sim on a Blackberry Curve 9300?

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

There is no new information than already provided in this thread. Copying to SIM is one at a time. The technical capabilities of the SIM address book versus the BB Contact List are vastly different...which precludes a mass copy to the SIM (at least as far as I can guess). In any event, the reasons are moot...the method is one by one.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lifeaidbob
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9300
My Carrier: Virgin

Thanks

Like most users I use my blackberry for business use.  I can't abandon all of my telephone contacts while Blackberry repair a faulty devise?  That's not plausible.  Buying a second Blackberry is not going to happen.  What is my way forward?   My replacement device is a cheap samsung and not a smart phone.  How do I copy my contacts to that?

My son has a Galaxy Mini and he does not have difficulty copying to his sim - is this problem unique to blackberry?

Please use plain text.