01-24-2009 06:10 PM - edited 01-25-2009 11:05 AM
01-24-2009 11:43 PM
If I or another member have helped, be sure to click the KUDOS!!!
If your issue has been solved, please resolve this thread by marking the post which solved it for you!
188.8.131.52,SLACKER, FaceDial,Poynt, Myspace, Weather Midlet, You Tube, Tiltris, logMaid, Youmail
01-25-2009 11:05 AM
It's my personal phone.. so don't think thats it.. I changed the default browser and got one app but still getting errors trying to get a few more..
Talklock I got working!
Opera was hard I finally used my pc to dl it and got it working..
Vlingo I got downloaded and it won't recognize my voice during setup.. still haven't gotten to work..
Love this Phone and know it's brand new so don't mind the little hiccups.. The phone and I are both learning the way I see it
And Thank You for this site everyone has been amazing at trying to help!
01-25-2009 11:36 AM
Hi Tigerscott, check this link please, to solve your problem
01-25-2009 12:08 PM
What is the BlackBerry Manager?
Not sure what this is? Is it the desktop manager?
01-25-2009 12:15 PM
03-20-2009 11:49 AM
None of the things in the link urumilton sent you worked? For instance, what did the site administrators tell you (as per Cause 3 in that link)? Also, in that documents "Workaround" section, you should try adjusting all of the settings in there...there may be a combination of those settings that'll work for your unique situation. Basically, that document is the full suite of ideas to work through it.
03-20-2009 12:09 PM
03-20-2009 12:29 PM
Ah, I see! No prob btw about whining -- we all do it from time to time! Know that we are here to help you as best we can...
It seems that Cause 1 does not apply to you -- I dug deeper than that original document and discovered that Pull Access Control is a configuration on the BES server, not at the device level. Since you have a personal Storm, you have no BES -- hence that cause does not apply.
Cause 2 -- It does sound as if you correctly cleared all cache items.
Cause 3 -- That one is referring most likely to the administrator of the website you are attempting to access. The 403 error is coming due to the site not liking you, your source, or something. Yes, it is quite impractical to try to contact the admins of websites...
For the browser configuration settings, there are indeed 2 places. You already found Options > Advanced Options > Browser...the blue boxes should be clickable to change those...it is possible that Telus has locked you to just one selection.
The other place is in the browser itself...launch it and then press the BB key (the hard key to the right of the green phone key). Select Options and the Browser Configuration. In there are many other settings, including how the browser will identify itself to websites. If that setting says "Blackberry", it may well be that the site you want does not want BB browsers accessing it and is therefore sending back the 403. That blue box as well should be clickable -- on mine (VZW -- so your's might be different), I can select BB, Firefox, or IE. Try changing that and seeing if the site then lets you in. All of the other settings on this screen can also be adjusted to find the right combination for your needs.
Now -- as to the BES thing you see...that is indeed odd...but let's table that for now until we find out if the above works or not.