Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
winnersmw
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Headphone jack doesnt work

Hi all, I've got a problem with my Storm that I've had since I bought it 2 months ago. I have tried using multiple headphones with my Storm(9530), including the headphones that came with it. If I plug the headphones in, nothing happens. I have to plug the end of the headphones in so that it is approx. 3/4 of the way into the Storms jack, then I need to spin the headphone jack around and wiggle it. Ill hear static on the headphones, then they will connect and they work. If I am playing music using the bb media player, and I get the headphones to connect, they will disconnect and music will come out the back speaker if 1.) one song ends and another begins or 2.) I pause the music, then resume it again. It is very frustrating since I need to mess with it to listen to music, then I cant pause the music, and I have to do it all over again for the next song. I dont know if its hardware issues or software, so Im gonna wait till another official release of an OS comes out(Im still using 4.7.0.75, if I cant fix this then downloading a leaked OS isnt gonna help my warranty out any). If it is a hardware problem, I gotta pay $50 and send my bb out(yea, i bought a warranty). If anyone has similar problems or advice, Im all ears, thanks.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Headphone jack doesnt work

Hi and Welcome!

Well, from everything you've described, it indeed sounds like a hardware problem. I used (but hated) the OEM headset  flawlessly. I am now using an earbud set (no microphone) and they as well work flawlessly. The only time I had troubles was when I was using a non-OEM holster...seemed the magnet placement caused funky things to happen, including suddenly shifting from playback through the headset to playback through the speakerphone. I switched to an OEM holster and all those problems went away.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
winnersmw

Thanks for the reply. Yea, I have this problem with both the headphones that came w/ the storm and others such as ipod headphones, skull candy, etc... My holster says Blackberry on it, so Im guessing it is OEM or else they would have copyright  problems using BB's name w/o permission, correct? Thanks again!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
winnersmw

I just wanted to clear this post up. After a while of this problem, I stopped using the headphone jacks for a few months. Then the other day, I tried, just for the heck of it, to see if the headphones would work. And they did! So there apparently is no rhyme or reason for this and it is now solved.
Please use plain text.
golddigga257
My Device: balckberry storm
My Carrier: choe howarth

hey my blackberry storm's headphones dont work. When i play music on the speakerphone and then put my headphones in they continue to play on speakr phone how do i stop it ?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

when you are at that moment, open the menu and select "activate Head-set".

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
olliethegolfer
My Device: blackberry curve 8520

This is happening on my curve 8520. Its a pain but I can't find the bit where it says headset I can only find speakerphone and handset. Please can someone help its driving me crazy. Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
xlynn
My Device: no
My Carrier: no

check the settings:
*make sure the mike on the volume ctrl is on & turned up
*turn the volume ctrl on the mike fully clockwise

then:
uninstall & reinstall sound drivers
check your sony's manual for the exact driver
check your soundcard's manual for the exact driver
make sure the bios sound settings are turned off because your new card driver might not support a device map thru.
goto ctrl panel/hardware & see if the device and driver's there.

`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. >((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸>((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. >((((º>
Please use plain text.
Visitor
jamesadonai
My Device: blackberry 9530
My Carrier: mtn nigeria

My headphones jack cannot play please help me out
Please use plain text.