Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Help me define this part!!!

This thread is for serious techies only, those who have taken the phone apart.

I replaced my 9530 screen and upon doing so accidentally dropped it. Even though everything works after replacing the screen, I ripped a little wire on the device.
It connects from the back of the inside of the phone to the top left inside of the front cover. In this directfix.com youtube video of how to take the screen apart, they describe it as an "antenna wire". But, antenna for what? It can be seen starting at 2:32 into the video, and they talk about how to take it off.
I also took a screen shot of the video with the part circled in red, if you dont want to watch the video.
screen shot of video

It looked like this connected to the speaker that you put up to your ear for phone calls, however that speaker still works despite the wire not being connected. I can make and receive calls, my internet works, the back speaker that plays ringtones/music works... SO what is this piece I broke??? The little "cap" came apart from the wire, and when I tried to solder it back together, the plastic piece in the "cap" melted and bubbled up, so it can no longer fit on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
75>90>99>103>109>113
Apps: BB Maps, Google Maps, iSilo, QuickLaunch, Good Food Near You, Drink Book, Berry Buzz, Car Finder, AIM, V Cast Music/Rhapsody, Weatherbug, Storm Lock, Flashlight, Level, Pandora, RDM+
Games: Brick Breaker, Word Mole, Nintaii, Reversi, AI Checkers, Flight Path, Space Travel, Doodle,Helicopter, CoinToss
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Help me define this part!!!

I checked bluetooth (parrott installed in my car) and it works fine so far.

I think it may be a connection for GPS. I tried using google maps tody and after having it open for 10 minutes it couldnt locate me except for within 1500 meters. Also while driving it couldnt locate/follow me like it normally does. I dont have bbmaps installed, im gonna throw that in and see if it works

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
75>90>99>103>109>113
Apps: BB Maps, Google Maps, iSilo, QuickLaunch, Good Food Near You, Drink Book, Berry Buzz, Car Finder, AIM, V Cast Music/Rhapsody, Weatherbug, Storm Lock, Flashlight, Level, Pandora, RDM+
Games: Brick Breaker, Word Mole, Nintaii, Reversi, AI Checkers, Flight Path, Space Travel, Doodle,Helicopter, CoinToss