Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

rapper
My Device: Storm 2 9550
My Carrier: Verizon

Hot Spot & Desktop Software Version 7.1 Blackberry Storm 2 9550

I'm upset!

1.  I took my Storm 2 9550 (which I dearly love) into Verizon (my carrier) to have it programmed to be a WIFI Hot spot as on occassion, I will need to use this feature for a Samsung 2 10.2 Tablet.  Verizon stated Blackberry Storm 2 9550 doesn't allow it -it can't be done; so I would have to upgrade to a newer phone BUT to keep my unlimited data package, I would have to purchase a new phone at FULL PRICE (over $500).  

2.  Someone mentioned to update Blackberry Desktop from my 5.0 version to the to the 7.1 version, but my phone doesn't support that either!!

Please help!!!!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Hot Spot & Desktop Software Version 7.1 Blackberry Storm 2 9550

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

rapper wrote:

1.  I took my Storm 2 9550 (which I dearly love) into Verizon (my carrier) to have it programmed to be a WIFI Hot spot as on occassion, I will need to use this feature for a Samsung 2 10.2 Tablet.  Verizon stated Blackberry Storm 2 9550 doesn't allow it -it can't be done; so I would have to upgrade to a newer phone BUT to keep my unlimited data package, I would have to purchase a new phone at FULL PRICE (over $500).  

Concerning the capabilities of your 9550, what you were told is correct. The HotSpot function requires BB OS 7. As an EOL device, the 9550 has had no new OS development for some time, and is left in the OS 5.0 range (5.0.0.1082 being the last one, as I recall). Consequently, the 9550 shall never be able to support the HotSpot feature.

As for the costs you were quoted for a newer one, those are strictly between you and your mobile service provider...but I'm rather surprised that they did not desire to offer you some sort of incentive. But, again, that's between you and VZW.

rapper wrote:

2.  Someone mentioned to update Blackberry Desktop from my 5.0 version to the to the 7.1 version, but my phone doesn't support that either!!

This is incorrect. The Desktop Software does not care what model or OS level your BB is running...it will support all models and all OS levels. But, that won't help your HotSpot situation anyway as HotSpot has nothing whatsoever to do with the Desktop Software.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Neckardealer
My Device: Storm 9520
My Carrier: O2

That means realy, I can't take the Software 7.1 with Storm 9520. I think, this is an impertinence.

When this is the reality, then I sell my Blackberry and will never buy anyone (I have two of the same).

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Neckardealer wrote:

That means realy, I can't take the Software 7.1 with Storm 9520. I think, this is an impertinence.

When this is the reality, then I sell my Blackberry and will never buy anyone (I have two of the same).

Hello,

Well, that is certainly your choice to make...but please do consider. Every manufacturer of hardware must choose a set of specifications for each model. In order to have any sense of the model number, those hardware specs must remain consistent through the life of that specific BB. But, the OS development cycle goes on, with new things being added, and the OS itself grows in size, and requires more and more from the hardware in order to be functional. Hence, at some point, a particular older model will become incapable of running the later OS levels...the hardware is simply not adequate to the task. Hence, End Of Life of the hardware...which is the case for the Storm series devices.

Consider a parallel...would you honestly expect a PC based on the 386 processor to be capable of running Windows 8? All hardware manufacturers must choose life cycles for their devices...and no devices can possibly last forever.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.