Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Super Contributor
Dankees
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

How Can I Stop The Vibrating Alerts For Every E-Mail Received?

I have gone into my settings and I have turned off the ringer, vibration, LED blink, etc. for all of my e-mail messages, however, every time I get a new Yahoo! e-mail, the phone buzzes.

How can I stop this from happening?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: How Can I Stop The Vibrating Alerts For Every E-Mail Received?

Hi and Welcome!

So, just to be sure (I'm sure you've done this...but please indulge me), you've gone into the Sounds application (either via the icon on the homescreen or the "speaker" button below the battery strength indicator when in portrait homescreen mode) and selected "Set Ring Tones/Alerts". Then you selected "Messages" and then selected the Email line associated with your Yahoo! email BIS account. Then you set "Volume" to "Silent", "LED" to "Off", and "Vibration" to "Off". And you did this for every line item in the "Messages" section of that screen. Right?

If so, then it sounds like you are having what I like to call "odd behavior" of the Storm. And the normal first remedy is the battery-pop hard reboot. With power to the device ON, remove the back cover and pull the battery. Wait about a minute and then reinsert the battery and replace the cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long long long reboot process (perhaps as long as 10 minutes). See if the odd behavior ceases. Like all computers, the Storm benefits from a reboot...and there is one thread on this forum advocating doing this every four days.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Super Contributor
Dankees

Yes, you are completely right. I did all of that.

I will do the reboot, just as you said and wait for the next e-mails to come in. Hopefully it won't keep buzzing...

Super Contributor
Dankees

UGH! It still buzzes for new e-mails... What a real nuissance.

Any other ideas?

PLEASE!

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Well, that is indeed sounding just odd. You are using BIS for this email? Right? Not an add-on application from Yahoo? (Sorry, I don't know if they have one or not). If it's an add-on, then it would be in the "Other" section of the Ring Tones/Alerts screen. I'm honestly grabbing at straws here because it really makes no sense...with the settings the way you say, you should have no alert for new email via this conduit.

You've deleted and re-added the Yahoo! BIS email conduit, right? If not, give that a try...and perhaps with another batt-pop after you delete and then again after you add.

And you are doing all of this on the defualt sound profile, right? Not a Custom Profile?

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Super Contributor
Dankees

Thanks for helping me! I am very new to this. (Less than a day.)

I just set-up the Yahoo! Mail, the normal way, it added to my HomeScreen automatically.

I don't know what BIS is. Sorry.

I don't believe I made any Custom Profiles. I'm not sure what they are for and I am not sure what they do. Can you please explain?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

[ Edited ]

Ahhh...BIS = Blackberry Internet Service, a service hosted at the carrier (e.g., VZW) that pulls email from POP/IMAP accounts (e.g., your Yahoo!) and pushes them to your BB (and allows the reverse path for sending email). Natively, BB's do not "get" email directly -- only through conduits (BIS, BES for corporate people, add-on apps for GMail, etc.). Anyway, when you configure BIS via the Storm interface (Settup > Email Settings), it creates the conduit in the carrier system. You can also set it up via the carrier's BIS website (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Where_can_I_log_into_my_BIS_account%3F)...the result is the same, it's just two access methods (native Storm or BIS website). I find the website via PC method to be a bit easier...but I digress...this has nothing to do with the alert issue.

Custom Profiles (another selection on the same screen from which you chose "Set Ring Tones/Alerts" ) are a method of doing just that...more detailed customization of the various settings. If you aren't familiar with it, they you likely aren't using it (and, frankly, I've not configured any either...haven't yet seen the need). So you have "Normal" selected as your active profile?

BTW - if you are new to the BB world (as you say), you might benefit by spending some time in the introductory section of this site (http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board?board.id=NewBlackBerryUsers)...there might be some gems of information for you there. Also, know that this device has the longest learning curve of any device I've every handled (and that goes back a long long way). I've had mine since first release (late November) and only in February did I decide that I'd gotten used to it enough to say that I really like it. So, patience is the watchword.

OK...try what I suggested in the last post.

1. Delete the Yahoo! email conduit.
  2. Do a batt-pull reboot.
  3. Check the sounds to be sure that they all still are silenced and that the Yahoo! line item is gone.
  4. Recreate the Yahoo! email conduit.
  5. Do a batt-pull.
  6. Check the sounds and re-silence the Yahoo! line item

Message Edited by sdgardne on 03-10-2009 10:16 AM

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
bscarver

I am experiencing a similar problem but only when "Sounds" is set to Vibrate (set from the icon in the upper left corner of the home screen).  Is your sound set to Vibrate when you are experiencing this problemAll of my settings are as stated in the other postings.
Developer
Kenjkelly01
My Device: Blackberry Storm, Curve, Tour

I have had to banish my Strorm from the house at night because the Message Alerts do not act as expected:

Go to email icon, select menu item Message Alerts, Email, Volume = Silent, LED=off, Vibration=off, Notify Me during calls = NO.

Try it shows NO sound or vibrating activity.  Do the same every item:  Level1, MMS, SMS text, PIN, Instant Messages, Reminders, and Browser.

The device still makes noise if I leave the main HOME screen Icon set to Normal.  That is NOT operating as I expect. 

OS ver 4.7.0.75

Ken J Kelly
hikefan57

I edited every part of the existing profiles to turn off alerts --silent, off, off  was never able to make them stop UNTIL I created a new profile, and turned them all off (except phone).  That did the trick