Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Super Contributor
Dankees
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

How Do I Get My Card Reader To Read The MicroSD Card?

I just plugged the MicroSD Card into my (SanDisk) card reader, but it won't come up as readable.

I plugged in my other MicroSD Card (also SanDisk - but not "HD") and it shows up as something called "FAT" and it is readable.

How can I get the 8GB MicroSD Card to be read by my (SanDisk) card reader?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: How Do I Get My Card Reader To Read The MicroSD Card?

Hi!

If the card is fully readable on the Storm natively as well as via USB/Mass Storage, then it sounds like your one SanDisk reader is either not compatable with the format of the card or is malfunctioning somehow. "FAT" simply stands for "File Allocation Table", a format for storage devices that is native to the Windoze world (a pretty old format, actually).

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Dankees

Most of the time that I plug in the Phone, with the SD Card inside, I can't view/edit these folders because they don't appear.

What do you mean by "natively" & "USB/Mass Storage"...?

What do I do? Just plug in the phone and I can read these folders? It usually doesn't let me. Maybe only MediaSync is viewable (and even that has hidden folders).

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

"Most of the time"? So sometimes you can see the drives/folders and other times you can't? That would be what I like to call "flakey performance"...and usually attributable to other issues (loose cables, bad USB ports, Windows simply being silly, etc.).

Mass Storage mode (via USB) is where the device can appear to Windows like two drive letters -- one for the main device memory and the other for the SD card. You need to have the USB drivers installed to the PC, of course, plus enable it (I think it is disabled by default) on the Storm...Options > Memory...my settings are:

Media Card Support - ON

Encryption - None

MTP - On

Mass Storage -- On

Auto Mass Storage - Yes

With that, when I tether via USB, I get those two additional drive letters...which, btw, is the only method I use to move files (music, pictures, videos) on and off the device. I did this so long ago that I can't recall if any other steps are needed -- like if there are any settings inside of DM that have to be configured for it to be fully enabled. But, I do know that DM does not auto-start on my PC at all...I actually hardly ever run it at all, but I do tether (and get the drive letters) several times a week.

BTW -- there will be lots of hidden stuff...this isn't a Windows OS. It's a BB OS and is proprietary...so they can hide things that you simply can't get to.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Dankees

Bless you! That was the trick. The last setting you gave me. Weird that it worked sometimes without that being set properly.

Now, two folders open (as they had before). One called "user" and one called "BlackBerry" - which one should I be using?

The "user" one had my ringtones in it, but the "BlackBerry" one had a ringtone that I saved via an e-mail. Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hi again!

Oh I am so glad it worked! On my system, the one that is <drive letter>:\home\user is the internal device memory. The on that is <drive letter>:\BlackBerry is my SD card. You are allowed to use both, but only the folders that aren't greyed out. The SD card is, of course, much larger and can therefore hold much more. On mine, I have all applications that can store their data on the SD card doing so -- all media (music, pictures, videos),  documents, and ringtones (though I have no extras) are "pointed" to the SD card by default. I'm not sure that's any better or worse than leaving them by default pointing to the internal memory, but that's my method.

Now -- you realize this is technically just a work around to your original post! There are many on this forum who advocate using card readers to move large quantities of data (vidios, music, etc.) on and off of the SD card. Me, I just do it tethered and it seems to work fast enough for my purposes.

Cheers!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.