Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

How Do You Make Imported Contacts appear in Last Name, First Name Order

I just received the 9530 as a gift.  I have spent many hours trying to import my Microsoft Outlook contacts into the Blackberry.  I am running Outlook 2007 and the contacts are in last name, first name order.  I have tried synchronizing with Outlook and importing an ASCII file, buy the contacts on the Blackberry keep coming up in First Name, Last Name order.  Help!
Solutions: 6,136
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: How Do You Make Imported Contacts appear in Last Name, First Name Order

Address Book > Options > General Options > Sort by = First Name

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

I just received the 9530 as a gift.  I have spent many hours trying to import my Microsoft Outlook contacts into the Blackberry.  I am running Outlook 2007 and the contacts are in last name, first name order.  I have tried synchronizing with Outlook and importing an ASCII file, buy the contacts on the Blackberry keep coming up in First Name, Last Name order.  Help!

Schreck:  How did you synch outlook into your Blackberry? This is my first Blackberry, and I just don’t get it. I have a palm, and thought they would be used in the same way, but they are not.

Thank you

New Contributor

I sync using Blackberry Desktop Mgr and set the Synchronization options to sync with Outlook, similar to the Palm (which I am transitioning from).  However, I cannot get the contacts to appear in last name, first name order
Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9530

molawrence wrote:

Change the display options for contacts

You can change how your contacts appear in all applications, including the phone, message list, contact list, and calendar.
  1. In the device options, click Language.
  2. Change the Name Display field.
  3. Press the Menu key.
  4. Click Save.

Good Luck and Welcome to the Community!

Jamie

********************************************************************************************************
In order to help the next person with the same problem, please mark the post that solved your problem if was solved.

If I or another user have successfully helped you with an issue, please click "kudos" in their post to thank them.
New Contributor

Thanks so much, it worked!
Solutions: 6,136
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

molawrence wrote:
Thanks so much, it worked!
that will work as well as the method described above via the Address Book menu. I'm not sure why you couldn't find it when you open your Address Book, press the Menu key > then Options.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Under the options tab on the Storm there was no "address book" category.  I also searched the documentation and could not find it.  When I listed the databases under the "Backup and Restore" category on the desktop software, Address Book Options showed, but I could never find a way to access it.
Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9530

molawrence wrote:
Under the options tab on the Storm there was no "address book" category.  I also searched the documentation and could not find it.  When I listed the databases under the "Backup and Restore" category on the desktop software, Address Book Options showed, but I could never find a way to access it.

I think the confussionis in the wording..  JSanders mentioned to go to:

Address Book > Options > General Options > Sort by = First Name

I think he meant for you to go to:

Contacts > Options > General Options > Sort by = First Name

With the only difference being he called it Address Books where as some people call it Contacts.

Good Luck!

Jamie

********************************************************************************************************
In order to help the next person with the same problem, please mark the post that solved your problem if was solved.

If I or another user have successfully helped you with an issue, please click "kudos" in their post to thank them.
New Contributor

You're right.  I found the options under the Contacts tab.  Thanks.