Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
Miserere
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

How do I STOP the Storm checking for new e-mail?

I've had the Storm for a few days now, and it's my first BB, so that might be why this sounds like such a simple question.

Here's the issue: I set up 3 e-mail accounts on the Storm, and they work fine. However, when I'm at work or at home in front of a computer (which is most of the time) I am not interested in having the Storm pick up every e-mail I get because I'm reading them on the computer and then I have to delete them on the Storm. I'd like to be able to check e-mail on the Storm only when I want to, but I cannot seem to find the setting that will allow this.

A little help, please!

Thanks in advance,

--M.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: How do I STOP the Storm checking for new e-mail?

Hi and Welcome!

I am pretty sure that you cannot control when, if, or even how frequently BB's check for new email. They are designed as an email device... Now, if you have your computer delete the emails from the server AND have it do so more frequently than the Storm, then you could potentially prevent them from ever getting to the Storm whenever you have your computer email client running. Try a 5-minute interval on your PC email client. You may sometimes still get one or two onto the Storm, but most will never get there.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

there are many solutions :
1) do not ever download the messages on your BlackBerry device. use the webmail of your company to access your email, should you ever need them. Man companies give an external access to Microsoft Outlook Web Access. The url is usually https://mycompany.com/owa/ .

2) connect the device whenever you are using your computer. There is an option in the Desktop Manager that says "do not send messages when connected" or something like that.

other solutions are temporary, which means you can prevent your device to receive messages, but after a while all messages get downloaded.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
Miserere

Seeing as THREE of these accounts are with Gmail, I've decided to use Gmail's BB mail app, which syncronises with my Gmail account and I can set up to check for mail only when I tell it to. It's not as convenient as the BB e-mail client, but I don't see another way out.  :smileysad:
Developer
muratcolakoglu

[ Edited ]
What you are trying to do is totally against Blackberyy push email theory. Push email is designed for mobile people who needs to access to their emails as soon as email arrives to their mailbox. If you spend your time mostly next to your computer you don't need a Blackberry device. :smileyhappy:
Message Edited by muratcolakoglu on 02-18-2009 07:15 AM
Super Contributor
GMAN58
My Device: Storm II 9550 OS 5.0

I have a similar situation as you and there is a way to stop e-mails any time. Go to the full menu and open the setup folder. In there open the email setup. Your e mail accounts will appear at the top. Highlight the one you want to stop temporarily, and pop the menu and choose filters. There are two options. Foward messages to device and do not foward messages. Just pick do not foward. Then save at the bottom. You can create a shortcut on the home screen moving the e mail setup folder so you can access this option quickly on a daily basis.

Hope this helps.

If I or any one else helps resolve your issue, please click the KUDOS!!

REMEMBER TO RESOLVE YOUR THREAD! PLEASE ALWAYS CHECK THE ACCEPTED SOLUTION ON THE POST THAT RESOLVES YOUR PROBLEM SO OTHERS MAY USE IT TOO!
Developer
muratcolakoglu

[ Edited ]
Thanks a lot. Exact solution. I think this the exact solution what Miserere is looking for. And this will help me when I travel abroad. I will filter unnecassary private email accounts to stop receiving because I don't have BIS contract abroad.  
Message Edited by muratcolakoglu on 02-18-2009 12:19 PM
New Contributor
Miserere

GMAN58, thanks! I think that would probably do the trick  :smileyhappy:
Super Contributor
GMAN58
My Device: Storm II 9550 OS 5.0

Glad to help Miserere. Remember to close the post with an accepted solution. :smileyhappy:
If I or any one else helps resolve your issue, please click the KUDOS!!

REMEMBER TO RESOLVE YOUR THREAD! PLEASE ALWAYS CHECK THE ACCEPTED SOLUTION ON THE POST THAT RESOLVES YOUR PROBLEM SO OTHERS MAY USE IT TOO!
New Contributor
carolscats

Thank you so much for your answer.  Just one more question....how do you move it Email Setup  to the main screen?

CJ