Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530, v5.0.0.328

How do I turn off new threaded SMS messaging in OS 5.0?

I upgraded to v5.0.0.328 but now all of my SMS & MMS messages are combined into long threads according to the incoming phone # or short code. That's all well & good if the messages were coming from separate phone #'s so they'd be in separate threads but the issue here is that Verizon Wireless uses the same short codes for many of it's own customer-set alerts from the My Verizon website. For example, my 2 daily horoscopes, my 2 daily stock alerts, & all of my sport team score alerts all get sent using short code 1111.

So now in my SMS/MMS Inbox, I only see 1 listing from 1111, but when I open the subject, I get half of my screen filled w/ the keyboard automatically & now have 45 messages all on 1 screen because they're all from 1111.

I can't find in any option menu a way to turn both the threaded functionality off & to stop having the keyboard pop automatically.

Help please!

My Device: Not Specified

Re: How do I turn off new threaded SMS messaging in OS 5.0?

I would like to see this as well.

Also why can I not swipe the keyboard to a hidden position as I can still do in the messages / Email app.

I do not like this new SMS application.

Trusted Contributor

i too would like to turn off the new wat the sms messages are other then that i like the new os

Trusted Contributor

add me to the list; I cannot find any way either. I  do not like this style

I asked Verizon rep (800#) and they said we are stuck, this is the new way from now on???

Trusted Contributor

I'm sorry I couldnt last any longer I actually downgraded back to the old OS

Heres my test.

I sent myself a text message

Received it

Sent another

Received it

If you choose delete, it will delete all messages, including the outbox.  That is one feature i do not like.  I like having the power to delete which messages I want

But thats even beside the point

So check this out

I sent myself a message

received i

sent another (#2)

received it

sent a third one

received it

yet for some odd reason it decided to send TWO more; I was like; what the heck

But besides this text message problem, my storm has frozen up on me on a few applications and then the screen goes completely black, and no matter what key i press, the system stays black, so I press and press and press and press til finally something pops up then it takes forever to log out................/sigh

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530, Verizon, 5.0.0.419

I don't like the way SMS and MMS is handled in Storm also! Don't have phone locking up, unless press appl. than try closing it or something, then locks up. Then I just "holstered" Storm, and take it out, Storm works okay. Did it only once, and still okay.:smileywink: 

New Contributor

My phone isn't having those lock-up problems w/ OS 5.0. I actually think it's handling memory issues better now- I definately haven't been having to do as many soft resets/ battery pulls but still do @ least 1 a day. So I'm gonna stick it out to see what either RIM or VZW comes up with. I bet the Storm 2 will have the same SMS problem when it goes on sale tomm.

Either RIM needs to come out w/ another release giving us the option to override the settings to go back to the older OS 4.7 way or VZW needs to create all new unique short codes for each of their alerts you sign up to get from them.

To be honest, I'd hate to wager on which 1 would come 1st.

New Contributor

My qwerty keyboard always pops-up when I open a thread but I can swipe my finger downwards to make it go away. It's very annoying that it automatically takes up half the screen. Again, w/ no way I know of to stop it or override the settings.

It should stay hidden by default- if I want to type a reply, I'll just place my finger in the text box @ the bottom of the screen to bring it up. Otherwise, I want the full screen to read these long threads.

What does anyone else think of that part of the new SMS? Something you'd also like to see addressed?

My Device: Tour

i also do not like the new threading.  how is there not an option to use the old way to text.  somebody please help!

Guru I
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2582; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

There is no option for the "old" way.  You have to downgrade the OS to get that back.

Most people like the threaded sms much better, including my wife and daughter who text all the time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!