Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: How do I turn off new threaded SMS messaging in OS 5.0?

I don't know if anyone at RIM considered this, but many of us have answering services that page us on our Blackberries. I think mine uses MMS. Since version OS 5 a couple of days ago, this "feature" has made it next to impossible to distinguish between one page and another. Also, I can't delete or save individual messages. Since all the pages come from the same source, they are all crammed into one "thread".

I know this might make texting for fun easier, but my Blackberry has just dropped significantly in its business usefulness. Besides downgrading to 4.x what options are there? Can I get my answering service to use another method so I can have separate messages again? Is RIM going to at least give us an option?

Thx

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2252; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Is there any way to get your answering service to email you rather than sms or mms you?

I agree that it would be nice to have the option to set it up either way and I can see your reasoning in this case.  Right now the only option to get your sms/mms the old way is to downgrade the OS. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

I don't know if they can do this. I tend to doubt it as they use an automated paging system. Plus email can take up to 20 minutes. When someone pages me they usually want me right away. Do PIN messages work the same way? How does one send me a PIN message?

Thx

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2252; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Pin messages are BB to BB only. 

Most emails are delayed up to 15 minutes.  However, Gmail and Yahoo are not.  If they can do email, sign up and use a Gmail account.  Signing up for a Gmail account was the best thing I ever did.  Their spam filters are the best I've seen and the email is instant to the BB. 

If you want to downgrade back to 4.7 I posted instructions here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Tour-9630/Verizon-Tour-Users-Revert-to-old-OS-here...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Device: Storm 9500
My Carrier: Vodafone

Both my husband and I hate this new thread version on SMS messaging on the upgrade.  Thanks so much for the instructions of how to down grade. 

There are other things in this upgrade that are a pain and don't seem to be changeable like predictive text...I have this turned off but it still happens.

Having spoken to Vodafone about the upgrade and how it can be re set at least 6 times (they have no knowledge of how to do this) I nearly sent the phone back.

Thanks again.

New Contributor

I spoke to my answering service and they will charge me extra for each email message because it is a process outside thier normal software. I'm not changing answeing services, so don't even suggest it. Also, all emails will come in with the same alert, so I can't distinguish between a page, usually an urgent call, or an email usually not urgent.

I attempted to ge 4.7 back several times after the initial update, but I could not get it woirking properly each time. I have wiped my phone several times and even had Verizon send a replacement. It took nearly a week and a half of goofing around but I finally have 5.x running properly. I don't have any more time to waste.

What I want to know is will RIM provide an threaded vs. non-threaded option in the next release, or is this the way it is going to be forever?

Thx

Guru II

Unfortunately, nobody here has an answer to that question. 

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

John.. When I try to download JL Commander it keeps asking me to log in and refuse saying I am not authorized?

My Device: Toiur
My Carrier: VZW

This new "threading" is a nightmare.  I have to track text messages by date and time...Blobbing them together is killing me.  The suggestion to downgrade has been the same one I have seen thrown out there multiple times and I was going to until I just got told that the next BES server upgrade will require the OS version.  So I am stuck and it is a disaster.  I am looking for third party software that might allow me to go back to the old method of text messages - but so far no luck.  The other recommendation I have been given is to dump the Blackberry and move over to the Android because it will allow threaded or unthreaded.  I haven't checked that one out yet - but unless this disaster is fixed I might not have an option if Android will do it.

My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: MTN

Agreed, the new "threading" is a nightmare.

I also have to track messages by date and time.

We use nagios to send out system alerts to our phones and the threading is hiding critical messages.

eg. I get 2 messages quickly, the first one is critical, the last one is informational.

When I go to my SMS inbox, only the informational message is visible.

Downgrading to v4.6 is not an option, Android is an option.