Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
jbro3880
My Device: Not Specified

I keep losing my audio files.

I got my Storm in December, but in the last several weeks, I lose my audio files--music and ringtones--from time to time.  Its usually associated with a sync, but not necessarily.  Oh, and I don't lose them all. But nearly all.  They are still there when I click on the media button, but they will not play.  I reset the phone by taking out the battery and it all works fine again.  I got my phone with others in my office.  No one else is having this problem. Any ideas on what is going wrong?  How to fix it?  Do I have a lemon?

Thanks!

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: I keep losing my audio files.

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!!

So -- some files are gone, and then they ALL return after you do the batt-pull reboot?

OR -- are some files permanently gone?

If the former, then it sounds as if you've stumbled into the "memory leak" issue that is indeed cured by a batt-pull reboot. What happens is that, after some time of running multiple apps, the device's ability to manage the apps gets corrupted and odd things happen...manifested, in your case, by "lost files". The cure is what you are already doing. What many have adopted is a regular schedule for doing the batt-pull reboot -- I've read of some that are as frequent as every four days.

The difference between you and others in your office could be multi-fold -- different OS levels, different add-on apps, different usage patterns, etc. If you want, you can undertake a controlled test of your device with others.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
jbro3880
My Device: Not Specified

Re: I keep losing my audio files.

Thanks.  Its the former.  They aren't actually "gone."  They just don't work.  With the ringtones, they are there, but won't play.  With the music files, I get an error message.  With a couple of exceptions--always the same ones that still work and no idea what those don't mess up.  But from what you said, it soundsl ike this happens a lot to people?  If so, then i can live with that.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong or had a bad phone.  Maybe a software update in the future will fix this issue.

Thanks again!