Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530
Accepted Solution

Is it possible to edit the Autocomplete list?

I'm having a real issue with Autocomplete. Somehow a bunch of words and name combinations got added to my list that I cannot edit or remove. Either I have to turn the feature off, or live with it.

For example, someone sent me and my wife an e-mail, and since then, whenever I type my wife's name out, Autocomplete offers the option of "kimberlykimberly". My company's name is Kimspirations. Whenever I type my own name, I get "jordankimspirations" as the first result because someone messed up on my e-mail address, forgetting the "@" sign.

Is there any way to either edit or remove this secondary Autocomplete list? Bell Technical Solutions says there's nothing I can do, and RIM will charge me $50 just to speak with a tech support agent, however this is not a technical problem, it's a design flaw.

Help please :smileyhappy:

Jordan

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9530
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: Is it possible to edit the Autocomplete list?

you can go to options --> spell check or     options --> autotext.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

- Duplicate reply deleted -

Contributor

Jaejin: Thanks, but I'm not looking for help with either of those two features, I'm looking for help with Auto-complete.
Solutions: 6,118
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

jsberson wrote:

Bell Technical Solutions says there's nothing I can do, and RIM will charge me $50 just to speak with a tech support agent, however this is not a technical problem, it's a design flaw.

If Bell cannot solve or assist, they should, or you can request, the issue be escalated to RIM level tech support, for free. There is NO reason to incur the pay per incident charges for this.

jsberson wrote:

I'm having a real issue with Autocomplete. Somehow a bunch of words and name combinations got added to my list that I cannot edit or remove. Either I have to turn the feature off, or live with it.

For example, someone sent me and my wife an e-mail, and since then, whenever I type my wife's name out, Autocomplete offers the option of "kimberlykimberly". My company's name is Kimspirations. Whenever I type my own name, I get "jordankimspirations" as the first result because someone messed up on my e-mail address, forgetting the "@" sign.

I'm fairly certain your issue is NOT within the AutoComplete feature, but one that is tied to the Custom Dictionary (Options > Custom Dictionary). Scroll through and see if you see the items you've mentioned above. I know I've seen very similar (but with my own personal words or screen names) popup in the AutoComplete, and once I deleted from the Custom Dictionary -- problem solved.

Please check that.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

[ Edited ]

JSanders:

"If Bell cannot solve or assist, they should, or you can request, the issue be escalated to RIM level tech support, for free. There is NO reason to incur the pay per incident charges for this."

I tried that route. Their position is that since it's not a problem that has anything to do with a Bell service, they are not willing pay for me to discuss the issue with RIM's Technical Support. Pleaing didn't get me anywhere either...

"I'm fairly certain your issue is NOT within the AutoComplete feature, but one that is tied to the Custom Dictionary (Options > Custom Dictionary). Scroll through and see if you see the items you've mentioned above. I know I've seen very similar (but with my own personal words or screen names) popup in the AutoComplete, and once I deleted from the Custom Dictionary -- problem solved."

I'm 100% certain it is a problem with the auto-complete feature, and has nothing to do with the custom dictionary. I have already been on the phone with Bell Techincal Solutions (which I did mention in my OP), and sure enough they suggested the same thing after I had already told them I had checked that. Those entries are nowhere to be found in the custom dictionary. The custom dictionary only gets accessed once a word is already completely typed (it will be underlined in dots if it's not in either dictionary), and then again when I send a message. Auto-complete pops up at the top of the screen as I am typing a word to give a bunch of words to choose from. Whenever I type two or more letters, the menu changes as I type to give me whatever suitable words may by available from either the factory-installed list, or the custom list. It's that custom list that I cannot edit or remove... that's the problem.

The custom dictionary will ask you each time you want to add an entry to it and will allow users to edit the list. For some strange reason, Auto-complete does not request permission to add a word, nor does it allow users to edit the custom list. That's what I'm trying to get through to the designers of the auto-complete feature...

Jordan

jsberson wrote:

I tried that route. Their position is that since it's not a problem that has anything to do with a Bell service, they are not willing pay for me to discuss the issue with RIM's Technical Support. Pleaing didn't get me anywhere either...

No, you haven't tried that route FULLY. You need to insist on the escalation.

Besides, it really doesn't matter... you have the case escalated now to the Customer Loyalty area and they are taking care of you. If you would only talk to them.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

JSanders: What part of "pleaing didn't get me anywhere" tells you that I didn't insist on the escalation?

jsberson wrote:

JSanders: What part of "pleaing didn't get me anywhere" tells you that I didn't insist on the escalation?

The part that you have an email from Customer Loyalty you've refused to cooperate with and give them a time and number in which they can call you and find relief for you.

That part.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

JSanders: now you're just showing how much of a moron you really are... it's apparent you only read the parts of my postings which you can pick on, but you have no idea what you are talking about.

THIS IS NOT A TECH SUPPORT ISSUE... IT'S A DESIGN FLAW. TALKING TO TECH SUPPORT WILL PROVE FRUITLESS. DO YOU GET IT NOW????????????????