Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
TOMCAT
My Device: Not Specified

Japanese language app's for blackberry storm available?

[ Edited ]

I travel a lot to Japan. Japanese language applications, translation, phrase's, English to Japanese texting, etc. would be very usefull to me. recently came across this site listing several "way cool"

Japanese language app's for the I-phone.

www,wideislandview.com/?p=2584

Wondering if such app's exist for the storm. Although listed for the I-phone, would these possibly work in the storm?   Also wondered if anyone has experience using their storm outside the U.S.A.? Particularly in the far east. Japan, Korea, or the Phillipine's?  Any comments, tip's?

thanks!

EDIT: Link Removed - please review RIM Terms & Conditions regarding posting links to other sites.

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: Japanese language app's for blackberry storm available?

I believe Google Translate will work fine in the BlackBerry browser.

I have used the 9530 Storm 1 in Hong Kong for two weeks. It fetches 3G perfectly (no CDMA over there), as well as the GPS signal. Phone call was of good quality. The only nuisance is that the roaming was constantly switching operator so in the end I configured the device to stay with one operator (can't remember which one sorry).

The phone also worked fine in Macau, using a carrier from mainland China.

About mainland China: since the BlackBerry browser uses proxies from RIM, you will not be concerned by the strict censor policy in place over there (especially CNN).

In Japan I know that NTT-Docomo used to sell the BlackBerry Bold 9000, and I think it was on the CDMA frequencies. I am not aware how this copes with SIM cards from abroard.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor
yhamaie
My Device: Z10 and Q10 (import)

[ Edited ]

Dear TOMCAT,

I have been using 9530 here in Japan with Japanese display- AND Japanese input-enabled OS 4.7 (9530jAllLang_PBr4.7.0_rel230_PL4.0.0.205_A4.7.0.167_Redington__India__Limited.exe) loaded and with an NTT DoCoMo SIM inserted.  (Japanese input-enabled OS 5.0 has NOT been released for 9530 nor 9550.)

9530 works perfectly here in Japan . . . unless you go into mountains.  NTT DoCoMo, the sole carrier to offer BES / BIS connectivity in Japan, uses 800 MHz UMTS (i.e. 3G) (dubbed W-CDMA in Japan, China, and elsewhere) in mountains, which is NOT supported by 9500 / 9530 and 9520 / 9550, and 2 GHz UMTS (i.e. 3G) in the rest of Japan.

Sincerely, 

P.S.

NTT DoCoMo (the largest carrier in Japan) has so far introduced 8707h and 9000 (Bold) to Japan and neither Storm nor Storm 2 has been marketed in Japan.

New Contributor
iscstaff
My Device: 9550 Storm

I have an English BB 9550 unlocked from Verizon and I use a Docomo FOMA (white) SIM in it from another Docomo phone. The BB 9550 phone itself works well but the Verizon linked software is not useful in Japan and the phone does not have the Docomo software. I don't think it can be downloaded from anywhere either.

The wi-fi works of course. Docomo charges for wi-fi full app use but I don't connect through Docomo. I use hotspots. The Docomo plan is to use iMode so they can record usage and charge for it. iMode is the source for Docomo email and for SMS - charged of course.

So, with a Docomo SIM you can make and receive phone calls - that's all. You can use the BB support apps like contacts, camera, calendar, clock and that's about it.

With a wi-fi source you can do regular browser functions using either a mobile or desktop portal.

I've not figured out how to collect my voice mail from Docomo using the Verizon software.

App World has Japanese language study apps.

The advantage of the BB is whatever I put on it in the USA stays on it. Whatever I put on it in Japan stays on it. The same for Australia. I can go back and forth with the same phone and charger and just swap SIM cards.