Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Regular Contributor
garyjones
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Keeps rebooting

I've had a lot of issues myself with rebooting.  Sometimes as much as 3-4 times a day.  I tried everything and it was driving me crazy.  Finally the latest leaked version (.113 ) seems to have stabalized it.  It's rebooted a few times since, but maybe only once every 4-5 days or so.  So if y'all haven't loaded the leaked .113 version try to hang in there until Verizon finally (hopefully soon) releases their next supported version.

Good luck,

Gary

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dinobrasi

My Storm reboots at least once a day. I'm running 75. I've tried all the remedies. Nothing has worked. The small screen on my trusty Curve is looking better and better. I feel robbed.
Please use plain text.
mleeber

We have 3 of these, Once since Jan and two since March. All three reboot randomly. We have removed everything and still no relief. I do believe that the processor in this phone is underpowered for what it is trying to do. Very slow an sluggish.

Verizon's policy is that after the first 30 days an exchange is a refurb and I for one am not trading my new phone, albeit less than dependable, for someone else's abused repaired phone. This is my 5th different BB in 6 years (I had ti use them for work for a whiles) and all the others were more dependable. IF the iPhone were a CDMA phone this phone nor AT&T wireless would exist today; I have buddies with iphones and they are awesome devices but with the AT&T service calling them a phone is an oxymoron. The only good thing about the Storm and Verizon is that unless it is in the process of the twice a day reboot I can make a call from just about anywhere and I can hear the party I called and they can hear me. 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

While I don't see a question in there, when you say you have "removed everything"...does that include the SIM? In the US, the SIM is not needed and removal of it is reported to improve (no, not cure) the random reboots. I can attest personally to the accuracy of that statement.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dinobrasi

[ Edited ]

You are correct. No question. Just complaining.

At the time of my original post, the steps I'd taken to resolve the rebooting issue were:

Removed BB apps and data I wasn't using (like VZNav, the IMs, the help, the languages, etc).

Removed all third party applications (I had Google Maps and and a few others, not a lot).

Removed SIM card.

Removed memory card.

Shut down everything properly (using Close).

Ran Wipe Memory all the time.

Pulled the battery.

Put a folded piece of paper between the battery and the battery cover to hold the battery firmly in place.

Didn't lay the phone flat on it's back. Some people said that's when the reboots happened to them.

Talked to Verizon's technical support. 

Wiped the device.

Re-registered my phone.

Replaced the service books.

Moved rarely used Icons into folders.

Hid unused Icons that I couldn't remove (manage connections, setup wizard, etc).

Updated the OS to .122 (Bell version).

With the Bell version, the reboots were less frequent until about 2 weeks ago. It started rebooting at least twice a day. And then the display started screwing up. IMHO, despite the erratic behavior of my screen, the Bell version was better than .75. I missed the little box that helps you move the cursor around and the clear panel behind the camera display.

By Wednesday of last week, I was ready to chuck it against the wall. I called Verizon and they sent me another Storm. They said they could not guarantee that it wouldn't be a refurbished model. I figured it couldn't be any worse than what I had then and if it rebooted as well, I'd keep trying until either my warranty expired, or I had a phone that worked.

When I spoke with Verizon (both times), I talked to someone who was very friendly and knowledgeable. They were aware of the troubles that Storm owners are having and I didn't have to justify wanting a replacement. I told them that I had tried a wipe, was careful with memory usage and I even told them I updated to .122 and they said no problem and sent me a replacement.

The replacement arrived on Friday. It was brand new. The date on the inside of the battery cover says 09 04 01, which I am hoping means April 1, 2009. It had all the protective stickers on it (still does actually) and there are no finger prints or scratches anywhere.

I ran the transfer wizard from Desktop Manager. I've used it all weekend and (knock on wood) so far it's been ok.

I really like this device. I hope this one is good!

Thank you for the welcome!

Message Edited by dinobrasi on 05-18-2009 03:58 PM
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Wow! Excellent report! Can you stick around here a while and help others out?   :smileytongue:

So -- the replacement device...still on .75? There are reports that some of the versions beyond .122 are even better (.141?????)... But, I've heard of no one who has eliminated the random reboots -- just made them less frequent. Nor have I heard of anyone who has eliminated the need for an occaisional batt-pull reboot...again, just made the need for it less frequent.

Best!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dinobrasi

haha Sign me up! :smileyvery-happy:

I think the occasional battery pull is a good thing. Like an oil change.

My niece just received a Storm for her birthday (early May). When I asked her about reboots, she said that it hadn't. But sadly about an hour after I asked her, it rebooted (I didn't do anything to it, I swear). Her's is on Verizon and is running .75. Mine is also .75. My fingers, toes, and eyes are all crossed that this one is ok. 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

It is also difficult to know if it has rebooted or not. You are sure if you happen to be looking at it when it happens. But, if it happens while holstered, you may never even know...

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
malhyp

I did a lot of reasearch into the Storm and a few other devices and finaly decided to puchase the Storm a few weeks back. Today the phone was acting strangely so i decided to shut the phone down and remove the battery.

Now my phone keeps shutting down and rebooting continuously. After reading a few comments from this post, i removed the phone card and the rebooting stopped. After inserting another phone card it started rebooting again.

This has finally helped me make my mind up to return the phone for a full refund. This issue has been one of many including false information on vodafone's website saying that he phone had wi-fi to all the apps and other things on this website which are only downloadable from the US and UK.

If I would have known all of this beforehand, i wouldn't have even considered this glorified phone.

Now when I read through the old articles "Could the Storm be the iPhone Killer" i laugh at them. My old Nokia has more features and downloadable programs than this phone.

A lot of hype went into this phone in Australia and that's all it was. A lot of hype with nothing to back it up with.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
malhyp

i also forgot about the software used to sync with a pc. When i installed it, my computer took 5 minutes to start up and and every time i would do a sync, everything else that war running would freeze or dramatically slow down.
Please use plain text.