Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
daveben00
My Device: Storm - 9530

MAJOR Storm problems - please help

I've been waiting a long time to enter the blackberry world and have been pulling for the Storm to be a good competitor for the iphone, especially since I would never consider changing from verizon to AT&T service here in New York. With this being my first berry, I was hoping all the negative reviews were overexaggerated, yet I have had numerous problems with basic functionality that I assumed would not be issues with the blackberry brand. 

I'm a pretty tech savvy guy, working at a video game company so these problems are not arising from a lack of technical knowledge (at least I don't think so).  Please take a look at this list of problems below and let me know if you can help solve them!!!  Feel free to answer one or all :smileyhappy:

1.   My blackberry desktop manager software does not provide me with any email synch option.  I have seen images of other BB desktop software versions that had this option but mine (version 4.7) does not.  I installed the version that came with the physical disk, then uninstalled it and downloaded it from BB's website thinking that might help.  Both lacked any option for manipulating or generally interacting with email settings/account directly on my desktop.  Am I crazy or is there supposed to be an option that allows you to synch email accounts and modify general email settings from the BB software on your desktop?  Is there a better version I should download or a different program that is more reliable?

2.  The roxio media manager is terrible.  It functions on the precipice of being frozen and just being incredibly slow.  There is no way I would ever be able to upload pics/music/video through this software.  I tried just using my windows vista option that appeared when I plugged the BB in, but it would only let me transfer music.  It said that my photos were not in a compatible format - does that mean it doesn't take jpegs?  how is that possible?  Is there another, more reliable program that anybody uses to manage media on the blackberry? Bitpim?

3.  I don't have the Storm lightning image in my sample pictures folder to use as a wallpaper.  I looked on the forums and it doesn't seem like this is a problem that only I have, but I can't believe that RIM did not include the image that corresponds to the name of the actual phone!  Is this really the case? Does it really not exist on the phone?

4.  My gmail and msn accounts that I set up on the phone do not reconcile well, that is to say, since I created those accounts on my phone, they've only received a few of the new messages that have come to each account.  When I choose 'reconcile now' it still doesn't receive new unread messages that appear on my computer.

5.  At one point I saw this message on top of my phone "SIM card rejected".  The phone still functioned pretty well from what I understand and I have not touched the SIM card in any way shape or form.  When I restarted the phone, the message was gone.  Does that mean anything?

6. My battery seems to drain unbelievably quickly - as in a single day without making more than a few phone calls or internet browses.  What are ways in which I can increase the battery life? I was wondering whether there are applications that are constantly turned on and draining the battery but I can't find those types of options to turn off.  Any ideas?

Please make me believe this purchase was not an awful mistake.  I want to love this phone.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
gizzy
My Device: Not Specified

Re: MAJOR Storm problems - please help

daveben00 wrote:

1.   My blackberry desktop manager software does not provide me with any email synch option.  I have seen images of other BB desktop software versions that had this option but mine (version 4.7) does not.  I installed the version that came with the physical disk, then uninstalled it and downloaded it from BB's website thinking that might help.  Both lacked any option for manipulating or generally interacting with email settings/account directly on my desktop.  Am I crazy or is there supposed to be an option that allows you to synch email accounts and modify general email settings from the BB software on your desktop?  Is there a better version I should download or a different program that is more reliable?

A: try uninstall then re-install

2.  The roxio media manager is terrible.  It functions on the precipice of being frozen and just being incredibly slow.  There is no way I would ever be able to upload pics/music/video through this software.  I tried just using my windows vista option that appeared when I plugged the BB in, but it would only let me transfer music.  It said that my photos were not in a compatible format - does that mean it doesn't take jpegs?  how is that possible?  Is there another, more reliable program that anybody uses to manage media on the blackberry? Bitpim?

A: I just use windows explorer...works perfect

3.  I don't have the Storm lightning image in my sample pictures folder to use as a wallpaper.  I looked on the forums and it doesn't seem like this is a problem that only I have, but I can't believe that RIM did not include the image that corresponds to the name of the actual phone!  Is this really the case? Does it really not exist on the phone?

A: wow...first person to claim not having that image is a problem with the phone...you can get any storm image and put in its place or grab the image somoene else posted earlier

4.  My gmail and msn accounts that I set up on the phone do not reconcile well, that is to say, since I created those accounts on my phone, they've only received a few of the new messages that have come to each account.  When I choose 'reconcile now' it still doesn't receive new unread messages that appear on my computer.

A: I have my own email server so I do not use gmail or other free services, but email on my phone works perfect so I cant help you here

6. My battery seems to drain unbelievably quickly - as in a single day without making more than a few phone calls or internet browses.  What are ways in which I can increase the battery life? I was wondering whether there are applications that are constantly turned on and draining the battery but I can't find those types of options to turn off.  Any ideas?

some applications are energy intensive, some are not. the GPS is one of those energy intensive apps, other then that my phone can go a few days without recharging

Please make me believe this purchase was not an awful mistake.  I want to love this phone.

there will always be something you dont like any anything, wives, phones, cars... but you take the good with the bad.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
daveben00
My Device: Storm - 9530

Thanks for the quick response.

1. I did try uninstall then re-install but still did not have any email synch option.  Is there supposed to be an option to modify email settings in the BB desktop manager or am I looking for something that doesn't exist?

2.  Thanks, i'll try again.  Any idea why it wouldn't let me upload jpeg files?  Is there a different format it's looking for?

3. You're right, it's not a functionality problem, I just can't believe the hi res thematic image of the phone does not come with the sample pictures.  Guess I'll just have to download it separately.

Thanks for your help!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
gizzy
My Device: Not Specified

daveben00 wrote:

Thanks for the quick response.

1. I did try uninstall then re-install but still did not have any email synch option.  Is there supposed to be an option to modify email settings in the BB desktop manager or am I looking for something that doesn't exist?

I dont know if any options in the desktop manager, all the options are on the phone itsself

2.  Thanks, i'll try again.  Any idea why it wouldn't let me upload jpeg files?  Is there a different format it's looking for?

if your using windows explorer you have to turn on the option for it, I do not remember the name of the option, but I think its under memory, on mine the option was set for "prompt" I changed it to yes

3. You're right, it's not a functionality problem, I just can't believe the hi res thematic image of the phone does not come with the sample pictures.  Guess I'll just have to download it separately.

a few days ago someone posted a link to the image, look through the messages for the topic "looking for storm image" or something similar to that.. there is a link to the image your looking for... thats where I got mine

Please use plain text.