Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Visitor
j789
My Device: Not Specified

Memory issues.. Help?! -- BBStorm

Just fyi: I have a media card of 8 gb in my storm.

my storm is saying as i download anything that there isnt enough memory or something along those lines, and when I am trying to upgrade to the newer 4.7.0.148 via my phone it states: "Not enough memory to complete upgrade. delete 5.9mb of personal data then resume upgrade."

Curiously enough the first time i hit upgrade now (button) it stated I had to remove 4.4mb, 2nd time after really doing... nothing it stated i needed to remove 5.6mb, 3rd time... 5.9.. So what is going on here?

here are my memory specs as of this message:
application memory

free space: 0.0kb

device mem
Total space: 879.2 mb
Free space: 878.7mb

Media card
Total space: 7.3 gb
Free space 7.3 gb

Now I am not sure how to utilize my media card for storage (I figured it happened automatically), or even sure if thats the issue at hand.. point is there is PLENTY of general free space so why is this even a problem? If you get whats going on here please post. I appreciate it in advance.

Contributor
JerseyACT
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Memory issues.. Help?! -- BBStorm

I had just experienced the same problem and I had heard some not-so-great stories about the upgrade wiping out information.

First, I tried to delete all of my email, texts, and applications that I could easily reload later (i.e. WeatherBug). But I still seemed to be coming up short on memory. (FYI - I found that sometimes the Storm didn't recognize the deletion until I popped the battery out. You need to do this while the phone is on and leave the battery out for at least 60 seconds.)

Then, I got frustrated and a little nervous that I was going to lose my personal info. I had previously had issues with the Desktop Manager software on my laptop, so I uninstalled it then reinstalled it so I could get it to work. Once I got it to work, I backed up all of my files onto my laptop. Once that was done, I used the Desktop Manager to upgrade, whcih saved me from having to delete more info.

There were a few scary moments where I thought I lost my calendar, but once I restored it using the backup on my laptop, everything was back. Good luck!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Blackberry Storm has become a useful business tool, but it doesn't keep my office clean. For that, I turn to an outstanding San Diego janitorial services company.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Hi!

0.0 free App Memory is a big problem. Do this:

With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes.

Now check your free app memory...it should have improved.

As the second poster suggested, doing the update via USB tether is much better (IMO). First, make sure you are fully configured for it:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryDesktopSoftware&thread.id=3...

Then go to your carriers website to download and install the update:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

BTW -- you cannot use the media card as an application installation destination location. Both Device Memory and Media Card space are your file storage areas. But apps can only be installed into app memory. There are tricks available...some app that purports to install, run, then uninstall apps when you close them...thereby storing the app install file in the Device or Media areas, but the app is still only installable into the App Memory area. If it gets low (and 0.0 is waaaaaaay too low!!), do the bat-pop reboot.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
Spaceman-Spiff
My Device: Storm 9550

I'm trying to upgrade my BB Storm 9530 (from 4.7.0.148 to 5.0.0.328) using BB Desktop (and USB cable) and I keep getting an error message saying "there is not enough storage space on your device for this update" and tells me that I need 5 MB of space available to complete the upgrade.  Well, I have 17.3 MB of space available but I keep getting the error message!  What the hell?

I've tried all the steps mentioned above, and still no luck.  Any suggestions??

Thanks.

Contributor
Spaceman-Spiff

Update to my post immediately above:

I spent about an hour and a half on the phone earlier this evening with a Verizon rep who walked me through pretty much the same process.  It turns out that even though my phone showed it had 32.2 MB of application memory (and the upgrade only needed 5 MB), that it actually takes much more space, albeit temporarily, for the upgrade process to complete.  While it might only take up 5 MB of space after it's done, it apparently needs more than 35-40+ MB of space, temporarily, for the upgrading process.

So, the Verizon rep had me start deleting apps.  After the first couple were deleted, we tried again and this time I still got the error message but it said I only needed 3 MB more of space.  We deleted a few more apps and it finally worked.

This was a surprise to me, since I hardly have any apps at all on my phone.  I told the rep I'd hate to think what someone would have to do who had dozens of apps on their phone!

Anyway, the problem is finally solved.

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Spaceman-Spiff wrote:
This was a surprise to me, since I hardly have any apps at all on my phone.  I told the rep I'd hate to think what someone would have to do who had dozens of apps on their phone!

I am glad your issue is solved.

This won't make you feel better, but let me explain you what happened :

the Storm 9530 is a very old device now (it was released 2 generations of mobile phones ago). At that time, it was not the device with a lot of memory. It only had 128MB, whereas other BlackBerry devices released at the same time had twice.

Besides, the OTA software upgrade is not the main way to do the upgrade. People usually do the upgrade through the Desktop Software, and in that case there is no need to free memory.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor
Spaceman-Spiff

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply, Xandrex, but I did do the upgrade with the BlackBerry desktop software.  It still required me to delete the apps before it would allow me to do the upgrade.

In fact, it was the desktop software which kept telling me that I didn't have enough memory in my device.

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Spaceman-Spiff wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Xandrex, but I did do the upgrade with the BlackBerry desktop software.  It still required me to delete the apps before it would allow me to do the upgrade.

In fact, it was the desktop software which kept telling me that I didn't have enough memory in my device.

you post is very interesting ! Since I have always made sure to have at least 5'000'000 file free on my device, I never encountered this.

Maybe it's because I always ask to delete all the apps on the device prior to doing the upgrade...

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: