Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Memory

Joe_E,

I appreciate your post, I really do. Indeed, I actually don't disagree. However, the "important issue" you call out is not something that I, nor anyone who participates on this board, has any ability to do anything about. This is a user-to-user support community...not a user-to-RIM conduit. As such, there's really no method here to deal with "why" types of questions...which is what much of this thread basically boils down to..."why does it work the way it does"..."why doesn't it work the way I want it to"...etc.

Given the charter of this board, we try to focus on "how" types of questions. We try to help folks get the best they possibly can out of their device, under the premise that it has whatever limitations that it has. But we can't affect those limitations...however we can help folks work within them to the maximum effectiveness possible. It will never be perfect...that's just not in the cards given that it is technology designed and built by humans. The designers had to make whatever trade-offs that they had to make...but, again, we can't affect that. We can debate things, to be sure (and sometimes we all go too far with that, myself included)...but we have zero ability to truly affect those items.

So, IMHO our energies are best spent on doing as the charter of this board states (and that I have paraphrased...with probably some liberties taken on my part).  That all said, the recent VZW release of the 9530 OS 5.0.0.328 is a huge improvement over the prior versions...huge! It's still not perfect -- any review of these forums will bear that out. But my personal experience is that it is tremendously improved and I hope that all carriers swiftly adopt it.

Peace.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

I am jumping in here.  It sounds like there is nothing we can do but I wonder if we could have more information.  Just what uses the application memory so we can conserve it.  One suggestion was to delete emails, calendar entries and copntacts so these must be part of it.  Does applications like VZ Navigator or Word to Go that came with the unit also count.  I have 3 or 4 applications I downloaded which are deal breakers since if I don't have them I don't want the Storm.  I am constantly getting warnings to  do something like erase applications.  There are a number of icons on my unit that I do not know what they are  (but can guess) but I reluctant to find out due to lack of application memory (tunes, ring tones, My Verizon, Bing, V Cast, etc).  Do they use up my application memory?

Any help here

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Pretty much everything uses up a bit of AppMemory. But how much is variable...and I've not yet seen a tool for truly mapping out the consumption of AppMemory. Those icons you describe sound like the shortcuts that carriers push out for things they want to entice you with...they are shortcut to an installation of the full app, not the app itself. They take a tiny bit of AppMemory, I'd guess...a very tiny bit. My Storm has, since 5.0, been starting from a fresh Batt Pull at just under 30MB free to degrading down to roughly 10-15MB free...I've been watching for patterns and things that are wasting memory. There are memory leaks, and apps can be just as guilty as the OS of that. Doing a batt-pull regularly to keep AppMemory as clean as possible remains, as it has from day 1, the recommended course of action to keep things fresh and speedy. Under .148, I had QuickPull running every night. At the moment, QP can't run with BES IT Policies, so I'm without it -- and seem to be doing batt-pulls every few days right now. Just the nature of the beast, I think.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Couple of things

My Verizon takes up 8mb of appmemory and it only gives you updates on your billing statement.  QuikPull Lite works on 5.0, but you have to tweek it. See FAQ on their website.

http://faq.steelthorn.com/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=26

The problems lies, not only with the OS, but the poorly designed apps. 

Can only hope that more, and improved, upgrades continue.  Or maybe Storm 2 will contain more APP memory.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530

wow well said

http://theblackberryreview.blogspot.com/

http://theblackberryreview.blogspot.com/
Get more reviews and tips for Storm and More
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8250
My Carrier: Airtel

hey.

I've got a Blackberry Curve 8520 with a 2GB memory card . In the Media option , when i scan the memory of the media card using the option "memory use" , along with memory for music , pictures , etc , there is some memory known as "other" . Can someone tell me what exactly the "other" memory comprise of ? I hardly have applications on my phone and it still takes up 45mb of the memory card space.

thanx Smiley Happy