Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530
Accepted Solution

Memory

Hi All, I'm a new BB user and have a Verizon Storm. I've noticed something if you go under Options - Memory - then look at Application Memory Free space it starts out at almost 40 MB then slowly drops to as low as 3 MB.

The free memory appears to drop the longer it is on and the only way i've found to get the free memory back to almost 40 MB is to pull the battery for a few minutes and watch it reload with a white screen.

I've tried the memory cleaner application and only seen minor improvments of a few KB.

I'm hoping this is a setting I have wrong because i'm new to Black Berry and not a memory leak in the OS or other application

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Memory

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Try the optimizing device performance tips on page 200.

Thanks,

Please remember to resolve your thread. Put the check mark in the green box that contained your answer! Thanks 

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/deliverables/4532/userguide_0x06001404_umts.pdf

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Contributor

Hi Bifocals,

i have completed the items listed and no help. thanks

I did complete the web update for the verizon phones this morning, will have to see if that helps.

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi,

Thanks for the update!

Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Bifocals

P.S. Even a person wearing BIFOCALS could not miss that message  :smileywink:

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Contributor

I think we have a fix here. the link for updates is http://na.blackberry.com/eng/update/

My Device: Not Specified

Hi there

recd my BB Storm from Vodafone UK a few weeks back and I've had to perform a battery reset 3 times to clear Appn Memory.

I get Intellisync complaining it has write error to the Storm while sending calendar details. Check Appn Memory and it's 0.0kb. Perform the battery reset and, after reload, there's 29mb. Sync runs fine.

So, not only do we not know what the Appn Memory is used for (though we can guess from p200 of the guide), we see that memory management is not all it can be. We shouldn't have to do things to optimise memory, the Storm should do that all on its own......besides, I have an 8gb media card, why not use some of that space, automatically.

But, I reckon if I make a note to do battery reset once every 2 weeks, I'll be fine....and this is a pretty **bleep** fine product.

MJ

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi! There is actually another thread on this forum that was advocating doing the battery-pull reboot every four days...not sure if that's necessary, but it surely does no harm.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

I use my Storm for medical applications.  I end up having to reset the phone about every 4 hours!  So, we (the public and Blackberry) know the memory leak exists.  There is an application called QuickPull on the Blackberry Application store (which simulates pulling the battery). 

What is the cause of the leak?

Why hasn't it been addressed?

Having read through the thread doesn't seem like anyone has a real handle on the problem.

The Iphone doesn't appear to have this problem and they have over 65,000 applications!

Suggestions?

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi scorbett52, and Welcome to the Forums!

Wow...this is an old thread! Here's some more recent information:

There are three types of potential memory on a BB: 1) Application Memory, 2) Device Memory, and 3) Media/SD Card Memory

Application Memory -- This is the most crucial; it is the protected (not user accessible), dedicated, and fixed (in size) space that is available as the destination for the installation of applications (plus some application storage, overhead and such). You cannot touch AppMemory. You cannot improve the maximum AppMemory that your BB has. It is what it is. Applications can only install here...there is no option.

Device Memory -- This is space on your BB that you can touch to store files, pictures, media, etc. Typically, it is not terribly large, but it is available to you.

SD/Media Card Memory -- This is what it says...your SD card, for you to store files, media, pictures, etc. It can be as large as your BB OS can support...see this KB:
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB05461

On some devices/OS levels, Device Memory and Application Memory are combined into "File Free"...these are, IMO, a little harder to administer as you really can't see well just how much AppMemory you have. Nevertheless, here are some guidelines to use:
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB15345
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB14320
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB14213

Lastly, it is always important to properly close applications when you are done with them. Using the Back or the Red key will not do this -- those leave it to the app to decide what to do...and some will leave themselves resident in memory, consuming resources on your BB, slowing the overall performance. Rather, to close an app, press the BBKey and select "Close" or "Exit"...that will force the application to be closed, freeing up for your new use the resources it was consuming. Some apps will always remain running (typically -- BBMessenger, Browser, Homescreen, Phone, and Messages)...but, you should still close them properly - especially the Browser...if it is left on an active web page, it will not only consume extra resources but battery power as well.

As for the iPhone comparison, the field is not level.

1) I would postulate that iPhones do suffer from memory leaks, but the Apple OS has always been tighter than other OS's, making them appear to suffer less from the situation, but I'd say that they do have memory leaks (all computing devices do), they just may be less noticable. Indeed, we had one in our firm that was so bad off that it had to be factory refreshed -- the fixed-in-place batter prevented doing a true hard boot (as you can do with BB's).

2) 65,000 applications...not a fair comparison...the iPhone has been on the market much longer the the Storm and is the only communication device that Apple sells. So, the developer community that desires to play there has a very narrow spectrum to focus in. With BB's, not only has Appworld only been out for just a few months, but there is a wide range of BB's and developers never like to say "we only run on the Curve", so they have to work harder at developing their application so that it will run on all BB's (a process only made more complicated by the introduction of the touch-screen Storm).

RIM has been addressing a host of issues with the OS from the very beginning of time (well, time in a RIM-sense of the word!). They constantly pursue issues, bug fixes, and the like. Just like all OS developers, they are faced with a list of issues that is intricate, complicated, and intertwined. The process of working out those bugs is just as difficult for them as for any other OS developer -- and they have been releasing a steady stream of fixes. For the Storm, VZW released it with (I think) .68, then quickly updated to .75, then VZW held firm until .148...but RIM released all things between those numbers (and is already beyond)...it was VZW who (rightly in most all cases!) decided to not adopt a particular build.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code

[ Edited ]

[edit]

This by no means is an attack on you post, It, in my option, does not address an important issue. That issue is; the allocation of memory, considering the OS and the apps you state are now available, was poorly planned by RIM. There really is no working around that, and that is a root cause of frustration with many BB users.  

Let us not take a page from politicians by saying; I may have this issue, but my opponent does……

My time, as is the time of others, is very valuable. What I don’t need is the inability to answer a call because the phone is trying to find resources to complete the task of allowing an answer of the ringing call. Better yet; if an emergency situation arises, do I ask the critical situation to wait so I can pull the battery?

Perhaps I am taking this to far.

If I called RIM support and requested them to wait between each word, would they find that efficient?

Poorly planned and a product with profit only in mind.

Please keep your posts courteous