Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Contributor
phatasswj
My Device: Not Specified

My list of reasons why the Storm sucks... check back for updates

So I was one of the pathetic bastards this morning who could be found in his local Verizon store's parking lot at 5am.  I was the first in line, first to get my hands on one that morning.  I should have known from the start when the Verizon rep was having so many difficulties getting my phone to activate that I had a fun day ahead of me.

Running: v4.7.0.65, Platform 4.0.0.82

* Constant lock-ups (as if no one here knew about this already)

* Screen flip slow to respond (like running Windows Vista on a Pentium II)

* Video lock-up if you try to stop a video mid-play (even the sample movie trailer locks up!)

* Motorola bluetooth sync issues

* Random audio loss on phone calls (they hear me, I can't hear them)

* Randomly colored pixels on half the screen when activating the camera

* Phone randomly reboots

* Portrait View Keyboard set to SureType does not allow the look up of names by entering the first letter (example, I would press 'J' to sort by first names everyone I have in my phonebook whose name starts with the letter J.  SureType will not query this info, it just leaves everything visible and alphabetized

* If you're typing and you make a mistake (which is WAYYY to easy to do), there's no EASY way to go back a few characters and just backpace over the error, you pretty much have to backspace all the way up to the arrow, which of course is an absolute waste of time

* If you plug the phone into a wall charger or car charger and try typing an email on it, the clock will continually pop up, making it impossible to even complete one word, let alone a sentence

* If the phone isn't almost **bleep** near 90 degrees vertical, the phone doesn't know if it should display panoramic or portrait, and just kind of goes nuts, eventually locking up for 4-5 minutes

* MP3 ringtones that worked o my 8830 and 8330 will not work on the Storm

That's all I have for now... no doubt I'll have more.  Part of me REALLY wants to return this phone and go back to 'ol reliable (Curve), but I dunno... I'd LIKE to believe the hiccups at the very least will go away, and equally as important, I will learn to type effectively and quickly on this keyboard.  I find when in panoramic mode that pressing buttons to the left of the screen with my left thumb, and buttons to the right with my right thumb provides the best accuracy; likely an intentional setting.

This is NO iPhone stomper by any draw, and quite frankly I could live without the spring-loaded screen- I think fast typing would be a lot easier if it didn't require the depression of the screen, especially if you're capitalizing a letter and following it with an uncapitalized letter, because the way the screen rebounds it ends up creating a series of errors in the text that follows.

I'm holding on to my receipt!

X12, referring to the BB Storm: "If they dont fix this POS OS soon they are going to see a STORM of returns."

Former Storm owner, happily reverted to my Curve.
Contributor
phatasswj

Re: My list of reasons why the Storm sucks... check back for updates

Ahh, yet another BB with auto backlighting issues!

There I was last night, sitting in my vehicle in the dark typing a text message in panoramic.  I ended my texting experience with a hot spot in my vision... yes, once again RIM has released a phone that has an auto backlight setting with a mind of its own.

RIM has 10 days to fix these most basic issues.  If by Dec 3rd this piece of crap isn't the slightest bit improved, back to the store it goes.

X12, referring to the BB Storm: "If they dont fix this POS OS soon they are going to see a STORM of returns."

Former Storm owner, happily reverted to my Curve.
Contributor
Justinjor
My Device: Blackberry Storm

I had a meeting this morning with my Verizon rep and he informed me that a major update will be coming out Dec 1 but he didn't know what all that would entail. Just fyi
Regular Contributor
PC-ASSIST
My Device: Storm - 9530

And my rep at the Circuit City location told me they will be fixing the accelerometer but he did now know when.

I have now tried browsing to crackberry.com. It has taken 14 presses to get the field to open up and let me finish the www. Waste of time to have to work this hard to use something that the iPhone does in a heart beat. Then the snooze request comes up (having a lazy Sunday, been snoozing everything since 9:30...) and that took another EIGHT presses to get it to respond.

Is anybody from RIM listening? there are going to be a lot of returns affecting the bottom dollar, though I am sure they only list INITIAL sales to look good, not returns in 10-30 days.

Oh, and by the way RIM, test it with REAL people, not a statistical assumption as to how usable it is. And try people who weigh more than 100 pounds and who might be over 35. We have larger fingers than an 18 year old.

My Device: Blackberry Storm

Sounds like you got a faulty handset? Have you run the newest update?
Regular Contributor
PC-ASSIST

FATAL ERROR when doing through the web based system listed on these forums. When I do it through the Storm, it says I have all the latest updates.

Another pleasant surprise.

Hi, I have just started to get the hang of my BB Storm andnow the email and SMS messaging have locked - cant access them at all.  Anybody else experiencing this or know how to fix the unlock?  I have checked for updates and it says there are no updates to download.
Regular Contributor
PC-ASSIST

We should rename this thread to MERGED list of reason why the Storm sucks.

Next: Downloaded Opera Mini 4.1. Scrolled to hit accept for ten scrolls. And....

There is no ACCEPT button at the bottom.

It is unintuitively HIDDEN in the menuing system.

Ug.

[ Edited ]
I have experienced all the same issues PHATASSWJ has. This phone is really frustrating to use. I love the idea of it in spirit. Wanted this phone to be 3/4 of what they say it would be and it is not. I am on the verge of taking mine back. Signed up for a new 2 year contract with verizon. Can I get out of the contract?
Message Edited by VJBILLW on 11-23-2008 07:43 PM
Regular Contributor
PC-ASSIST

If you are in CA, you have 30 days to cancel.