Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Regular Visitor
MirceaKitsune
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

My questions about the Storm 2 9520

Hello everyone :smileyhappy: I don't have a Blackberry yet but I'm planning to upgrade my phone soon and get one (I currently have a Nokia N95 8GB). I looked through the list of Blackberry models, and the one I fell in love with was the Storm 2 9520. I'll most likely be getting one, but I have several questions that I couldn't find clear answers to on google. I'm picky about all the details on a phone, so I'd like to know about everything before getting it. Here is the list of things I had on my mind:

- I read that this phone records videos in 3gp format, and not mp4. I'm a bit worried about that, as I'm feeling 3gp is less supported than mp4 by Windows (Win 7 user here). For instance, 3gp's I filmed with an old phone years ago don't even open properly in most players, and have no audio. So is the format the phone saves in properly playable in Windows (Linux too)?

- I always rename my pictures and videos after taking them. With the 9520, can you click a button or menu entry to rename a picture / clip immediately after making it? Or do they only get saved with an automated name, and you need to open your file browser and navigate to the file to rename it?

- A curiosity I had about the touchscreen is if it's based only on heat detection or physical pressing too. From what I seen, heat detection is only used when you gently touch the screen and select stuff / drag, while pressing is used to actually click. I'm curious because, I might use my phone outside during winter when I have leather gloves on, and the screen can't detect my body's energy then. Of course it's hard to use any phone with gloves, but I occasionally do to some extent :smileytongue:

- Does the charger use the micro-usb port, or a different port? I know some devices that use USB for both charging and connecting to the computer, which is a method I generally prefer. Not a problem if it doesn't, just curious.

- In the phone's specs, it says 8GB micro-SD cards are supported at most. Can anyone confirm that greater cards are incompatible and don't work (16 / 32 GB ones)?

- I read on a website that the only way to configure email is to have a server on Blackberry Enterprise (not sure what exactly that is). But do you need to register with Blackberry to use a classic IMAP / POP email account (like gmail or yahoo mail)? And for that matter, do you need to register with any Blackberry service to use 3G internet through your provider or to use messenger (YIM MSN and AIM)? I'm guessing not, but still asking to be sure.

- I heard some phones have this limit / issue, so just to be safe: Can you set mp3's transferred from your computer as ring tones? Or do you need to download them online from special services, like I heard some phones force you to?

- I read on several web sites that there are complications with installing applications via data cable. It's how I install most of my third party programs on phones. So if I have a jar or jad file on my desktop, is there no way to install it via data cable unless I have an additional file with it? Same question for non-java Blackberry apps.

- All websites mention the web browser in OS 5 doesn't support flash on web pages (which I find pretty sad). However, can I still play flash files directly from my phone if I just open the swf file?

- Can it play audio files in ogg / wav format? Additionally, can it play ogv videos, or even avi or mpeg?

- Can I download themes for it that change the icons and colors of the menus? I'm guessing that setting custom wallpapers (independent of theme) shouldn't be a problem. Additionally, is there also a free program that allows creating your own themes and exporting them to the phone via data cable?

- Does it also have a frontal camera for 3G video chat?

- I read about the differences between the 9520 and 9550, and that the 9550 has an additional network frequency it can run on. Everyone says you cannot use a Blackberry in America if you buy it in Europe, especially the 9520. Is that true? And is the 9550 more vital than the 9520 for compatibility?

- Will OS 6 come to the 9520 too? Some websites say it won't happen, while others that it will be throughout the devices that will support it as an upgrade. Hope very much it will :smileyhappy:

- Lastly, this might be a delicate question and I'm not sure how frowned upon it is here. But is it easy to unlock / debrand the 9520? I like to get the latest firmware versions and not have the phone limited.

Someone mentioned the provider branding isn't made for commercial reasons, but to keep the phone compatible (and should not even be illegal to debrand). So I'm guessing this should be an ok question.

Yeah, they are a lot of questions that may seem silly. I'll be getting this phone for several years, so I care to know everything about it. Thanks to everyone who can help in answering these, and keep up the good work with the phones :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: My questions about the Storm 2 9520

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Wow! You do your homework, I admire that! I'll answer what I can...

MirceaKitsune wrote:

- I read that this phone records videos in 3gp format, and not mp4. I'm a bit worried about that, as I'm feeling 3gp is less supported than mp4 by Windows (Win 7 user here). For instance, 3gp's I filmed with an old phone years ago don't even open properly in most players, and have no audio. So is the format the phone saves in properly playable in Windows (Linux too)?

3gp is indeed the native video recording format. All you need is the proper codec on your PC to play them. I downloaded a free transcoder and it not only transcodes to avi (and other formats) for me but also put the proper codec in so that I can play them natively without transcoding. QuickTime I think has the codec included also. There is full audio and video recorded.

MirceaKitsune wrote:

- I always rename my pictures and videos after taking them. With the 9520, can you click a button or menu entry to rename a picture / clip immediately after making it? Or do they only get saved with an automated name, and you need to open your file browser and navigate to the file to rename it?

Hmmm...haven't really tried to do that...worst case, you can of course rename them later.

MirceaKitsune wrote:

- A curiosity I had about the touchscreen is if it's based only on heat detection or physical pressing too. From what I seen, heat detection is only used when you gently touch the screen and select stuff / drag, while pressing is used to actually click. I'm curious because, I might use my phone outside during winter when I have leather gloves on, and the screen can't detect my body's energy then. Of course it's hard to use any phone with gloves, but I occasionally do to some extent :smileytongue:

Actually, Storm BBs use both heat sensing as well as physical press. It's called SurePress Technology. The heat sensing determines where on the screen you are touching and then the physical press activates the "button click" as it were. The entire screen is a big physical button, with the activity determined by your finger position on the screen when you press. As such, I doubt it'll work with gloves on at all. I know that, on the ski slopes, I have to take my glove off to do anything with my 9550.

MirceaKitsune wrote:

- Does the charger use the micro-usb port, or a different port? I know some devices that use USB for both charging and connecting to the computer, which is a method I generally prefer. Not a problem if it doesn't, just curious.

On the BB, one port for all functions. Micro USB both for charging as well as USB tethered data transfer. When tethered to a PC with the proper drivers installed, the BB will both charge (from the USB port of the PC) as well as allow data transfer.

MirceaKitsune wrote:

- In the phone's specs, it says 8GB micro-SD cards are supported at most. Can anyone confirm that greater cards are incompatible and don't work (16 / 32 GB ones)?

Technically, the BB model is irrelevant to the size of SD card it supports. Rather, it's a function of the OS level that the BB is running as per this KB:

• KB05461MicroSD media card sizes supported by BlackBerry Device Software versions

MirceaKitsune wrote:

- I read on a website that the only way to configure email is to have a server on Blackberry Enterprise (not sure what exactly that is). But do you need to register with Blackberry to use a classic IMAP / POP email account (like gmail or yahoo mail)? And for that matter, do you need to register with any Blackberry service to use 3G internet through your provider or to use messenger (YIM MSN and AIM)? I'm guessing not, but still asking to be sure.

What that website said is untrue. If you happen to be in a corporate environment with BES (or purchase hosted BES), you can indeed have the enhanced features that only BES can provide. But, via BIS (Blackberry Internet Service), you can interface most all internet-facing email services. See this:

You mus,t, however, subscribe to the proper data plan level from your carrier to enable the true PUSH email capability of BIS.

MirceaKitsune wrote:

- I heard some phones have this limit / issue, so just to be safe: Can you set mp3's transferred from your computer as ring tones? Or do you need to download them online from special services, like I heard some phones force you to?

I've never tried it myself, but I am pretty sure that you can set several media file types to be ringtones.

MirceaKitsune wrote:

- I read on several web sites that there are complications with installing applications via data cable. It's how I install most of my third party programs on phones. So if I have a jar or jad file on my desktop, is there no way to install it via data cable unless I have an additional file with it? Same question for non-java Blackberry apps.

Apps can be installed via the data cable as long as they meet the criteria necessary to do so as per this KB:

• KB15172How to install applications using the application loader tool in BlackBerry Desktop Manager

If you have the .jad, that can simply be copied to the BB and then executed on the BB to install the app.

MirceaKitsune wrote:

- All websites mention the web browser in OS 5 doesn't support flash on web pages (which I find pretty sad). However, can I still play flash files directly from my phone if I just open the swf file?

No BB's support FLASH at this time.

• KB13156Macromedia Flash support for BlackBerry smartphones

MirceaKitsune wrote:

- Can it play audio files in ogg / wav format? Additionally, can it play ogv videos, or even avi or mpeg?

You can find all media compatibility information via this KB:

• KB05482Media types that are supported on the BlackBerry smartphone

MirceaKitsune wrote:

- Can I download themes for it that change the icons and colors of the menus? I'm guessing that setting custom wallpapers (independent of theme) shouldn't be a problem. Additionally, is there also a free program that allows creating your own themes and exporting them to the phone via data cable?

Yes, you can download themes (I must admit to no experience with this...I've found no need to use themes as I need my BB to function for what I need...themes merely dress it up IMHO). I've no idea about how to create themes.

MirceaKitsune wrote:

- Does it also have a frontal camera for 3G video chat?

No.

MirceaKitsune wrote:

- I read about the differences between the 9520 and 9550, and that the 9550 has an additional network frequency it can run on. Everyone says you cannot use a Blackberry in America if you buy it in Europe, especially the 9520. Is that true? And is the 9550 more vital than the 9520 for compatibility?

That question is not one that I consider to be answerable. Everyone has their unique circumstances that they need to satisfy. Research the device capabilities and the frequency ranges of the carriers you wish to run on. Then choose the device that matches your specific requirements.

MirceaKitsune wrote:

- Will OS 6 come to the 9520 too? Some websites say it won't happen, while others that it will be throughout the devices that will support it as an upgrade. Hope very much it will :smileyhappy:

Probably not...but that is not an authoritative answer. And you will not be able to receive any authoritative answers here. Basically, RIM has set the specs for OS 6.0 here:

With the Storm series conspicuously absent, I don't consider any of the current Storms to be candidates for OS6.0. But that is indeed IMHO.

MirceaKitsune wrote:

- Lastly, this might be a delicate question and I'm not sure how frowned upon it is here. But is it easy to unlock / debrand the 9520? I like to get the latest firmware versions and not have the phone limited.

Someone mentioned the provider branding isn't made for commercial reasons, but to keep the phone compatible (and should not even be illegal to debrand). So I'm guessing this should be an ok question.

Hmmm...unlocking information can be found here:

But, I am not sure about your premise. You seem to say that you are locked into your carriers update level as long as your BB is locked. That is untrue. Unlocking is merely the function to allow your BB to run on a different carriers network...the OS level is irrelevant to that. You are free to use any carriers released OS for your specific model BB...there's just a tiny trick to doing so that you must follow. But unlocking is not a prerequisite to do so. There's nothing illegal or anything about unlocking. But it's of no use unless and until you want to swap your BB over to a different carrier.

MirceaKitsune wrote:

Yeah, they are a lot of questions that may seem silly. I'll be getting this phone for several years, so I care to know everything about it. Thanks to everyone who can help in answering these, and keep up the good work with the phones :smileyhappy:

Nothing silly about your questions at all...took a while to write up all the answers and I regret that I don't have all of them for you.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.