Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Contributor
anna00
My Device: Not Specified

My received SMS texts automatically delete??

I've recently had a problem where my received SMS texts will automatically delete themselves if I don't save them. I used to be able to have received SMS texts sit on my phone for days, but now a message will delete itself after an hour! It's highly annoying because I can't always reply to someone right away, so then when I go back a few hours later to write them back, their text is already gone. What can I do so this stops happening???

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: My received SMS texts automatically delete??

If you go to Options >Status, what is the free memory?  Post the number you see next to "File Free"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor
anna00

The file free says: 3402057 Bytes
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Remove the battery and reinsert.  Post what you have for file free after that. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor
anna00

Okay...now it says 11830797 Bytes
Guru I
John_Clark

Well, that's a little better. However, it's still pretty low.

What's happening is that your device runs low on memory and deletes the sms, call logs, calendar entries, etc. to free up memory and continue running rather than crash and shut down. 

You need to free up memory by removing apps, themes, pictures, etc. that you don't use.  How many 3rd party applications do you have installed?  

The device has limited memory for running the OS and applications.  When you begin to fill that up the device will run into problems.

Contributor
anna00

Gotcha... thanks for the help!

franciscopceia
My Device: Storm 9500

Well, but isn't it possible to configure that so SMS and MMS are stored on the SD Card?

Thanks,

F

Guru I
John_Clark

franciscopceia wrote:

Well, but isn't it possible to configure that so SMS and MMS are stored on the SD Card?

Thanks,

F

It is only possible to store them on a sim card, not a media card.  However, it's not practical as the sim card won't hold that many sms messages.