Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
nickenzi
My Device: Storm 2 9550

My search providers disappeared!!!

Hello,

I recently upgraded my Blackberry messenger on my Storm 2 9550 via app world, and after my device restarted, there was a new bing app on my home screen, and bing replaced ALL of my search providers in the browser.  How can I delete bing, and re-add google and wikipedia to my search providers?

Thanks,

Nick

JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: My search providers disappeared!!!

Several months ago, Verizon began pusing Bing to it's BlackBerry devices.

Open the Browser > Menu key > Browser Configuration, and scroll down to "Default Serch Provider" and can you change Bing to Google, or whatever?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
tcpulley
My Device: 9550

J you don't understand the problem. All of the default search providers that were included with the phone are gone. The only search provider is Bing. There are a lot of people complaining about this and I'm one of them.

I have two 9550s. I upgraded both to Messenger 5.0.0.55. I did a battery pull on mine (don't know if this is relevent) and now the only search provider I have installed is Bing. My partner's phone still has all the default search providers (Google, Live, Dictionary, etc...)

Visitor
SeanPN777
My Device: Blackberry Storm2 9550

Just happened to me too! I just used it a couple of hours ago and now I have Bing... I don't like/want Bing, but apparently Verizon doesn't care what I want?

I wonder if this could this have been stopped if my "Browser Push" setting were set differently. Right now, they are defaulted to "Enable, Auto and Allow."

Any ideas how to get Google back on the list and delete Bing?

alpharr
My Device: Blackberry 9550 Storm 2

Chalk me up to having the same issue on my Storm2. Woke up this morning launched the browser and the only search provider is Bing. Hopefully this can be changed.

New Contributor
tcpulley

[ Edited ]

From what I've read no one has been successful. People have tried wiping and restoring their devices, resending the service books. Nothing seems to help. They've called Verizon and RIM and everyone's saying that they didn't do this.

Live Search was one of the default search providers. Since MS has rebranded Live Search to Bing my guess is that someone at Verizon pushed out an update with the Bing search provider but did it incorrectly and wiped out the installed search providers. It seems like human error.

I think everyone needs to call and complain to Verizon so they know that this needs to be fixed.

New Contributor
tcpulley

Now it's happened to my partner's phone.

New Contributor
Coachbulldog
My Device: Not Specified

I use a Storm 1 running OS .328.  My most recent battery pull was less than 15 minutes ago and I still have Google as my default search engine and all of the other options, Dictionary.com, Wikipedia, and Live Search available in the drop down menu. From reading other forum posts on other sites I know this is a wide spead issue.

puffnstuff
My Device: Not Specified

This is **bleep**! Bing only for me also. Verizon and RIM just keep pointing the finger at one another. Somebody please chime in and let us know something.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

puffnstuff wrote:

This is **bleep**! Bing only for me also. Verizon and RIM just keep pointing the finger at one another. Somebody please chime in and let us know something.

lol, pointing at what?

This is VERY specifically a Verizon thing. Verizon can point at RIM all they want, but it just indicates how silly they are.

It was announced back in the summer and people have been noticing more lately.

http://www.berryreview.com/2009/06/23/verizon-pushing-microsoft-bing-on-blackberry-homepage/

http://www.microsoft-bingsearch.com/verizon-pushing-bing-app-to-blackberry-storm-cnet-news/2009/11/0...

So, complaints and criticism of Verizon for this action would more appropriately be voiced here:

http://forums.verizon.com/

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code