Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: My search providers disappeared!!!

Option 1 - Complain to Verizon via email:

HQExec.Relations@VerizonWireless.com

I have been a long time customer of Verizon, and have generally been pleased with the service, support and my new BlackBerry Storm2 device. A few days ago, I notice that my preexisting search engine choices had all been removed from the BlackBerry browser and that Bing was my only choice. It appears that Verizon Wireless has intentionally crippled my device and not only made Bing the default search engine, but removed ALL the other search engines including Google and Wikipedia.

Yes, I realize that I can enter www.google.com and search directly from the Google website, but that is an entirely unacceptable workaround for what should not be an in the first place. This is a mobile device with a limited on-screen keyboard, and being able to access something as basic as the ubiquitous Google search engine in as few keystrokes as possible is absolutely crucial. Although I have been generally happy with Verizon, this is a deal breaker. What is more worrisome is that it may be indicative of a general trend. What if next week Verizon Wireless decides that they no longer like Google Maps and limit me to paying for VZ Navigator? What if the week after that Verizon decides I shouldn't be able to use Pandora and forces me to use Slacker? This is an unacceptable business practice, and as your own attorneys can tell you, by selling a device with a certain set of features and later removing those features you are also exposing Verizon Wireless to a great deal of product liability.

If this is issue not resolved soon, I will have no other option than to file a complaint with the FCC.

Option 2 - File a complaint:

In the process of filing a complaint with the FCC's website right now!

Antitrust website for complaints:

http://www.justice.gov/atr/contact/newcase.htm

FCC website for complaints:

http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm?sid=d1e408&id=d1e463

My Device: Storm 9550
My Carrier: Verizon

Option 3 - Set up your browser so your home page is google

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

joseanton wrote:

Option 3 - Set up your browser so your home page is google

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Good idea...but...it seems that VZW (at least) is pushing out an override when they push out BING. And that override eliminates all other search provider choices within the BB Browser. Now, what I've so far witnessed is that VZW indeed pushed out a BING icon to my BB, but I've never executed it...and my search providers within the BB Browser remain as they were. My suspicion is that, once one executes that BING icon, that it then changes the settings within the BB Browser, eliminating the other choices and leaving only BING. But that's only a theory based on very limited data.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Solutions: 6,135
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

That ^^ is excactly what is happening.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Solutions: 6,135
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

[ Edited ]

dkabraham wrote:
What if next week Verizon Wireless decides that they no longer like Google Maps and limit me to paying for VZ Navigator?

Verizon already tried that for several years by blocking BlackBerry Maps. They were sued. Verizon won.

dkabraham wrote:

What if the week after that Verizon decides I shouldn't be able to use Pandora and forces me to use Slacker?

Verizon is not forcing you to use Bing. They have chosen it as their preferred search engine. Big difference.

dkabraham wrote:
Option 2 - File a complaint:

In the process of filing a complaint with the FCC's website right now!

Antitrust website for complaints:

http://www.justice.gov/atr/contact/newcase.htm

FCC website for complaints:

http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm?sid=d1e408&id=d1e463

HAHAHAHAAH, that's funny. LIke they care. Don't you know Verizon already bought and paid for Obama and his FCC?

It's people like you who cost ME tax dollars handling ridiculous stuff like this off to my government, tieing up bureaucrats and their time with **bleep** that doesn't matter.

Anyway, while I too think this is a silly and stupid move on Verizon's part, what your suggesting is even sillier. Get over it, and set your home page to another search engine. It's so easy.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

@JSanders -- :-)

Also, I just this moment noticed that IE (in Win7x64 Ultimate) has installed BING as it's only search provider (without going through hoops to add on others). I so rarely use IE at all that I didn't notice this till just now. So I'm thinking that these complaints to governmental entities will need to be expanded to include Microsoft along with VZW. Yeah, that should work wonders, I'd think!

:smileytongue: :smileytongue: :smileytongue:

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

This is a horrible move on VZW and M$ part, looks (and feels) very bad!  BOO HISS!!

I hope someone re-codes an app that mimmics the start screen we used to know and love (can you pull book marks and history from the BB API? - if so seems "easy" if you know how to code.)

My Device: Curve

Try This.

Browser

Options

Cache Operations

Clear History, Clear Content Cache, ClearCookie Cache

I was having the same problem.  I did the above then I could reset my homepage back to google.

j

New Contributor
My Device: Storm 2 9550

jpolson wrote:

Try This.

Browser

Options

Cache Operations

Clear History, Clear Content Cache, ClearCookie Cache

I was having the same problem.  I did the above then I could reset my homepage back to google.

j

You misread my problem. My homepage is not the issue.  My issue is that Bing replaced all of my search providers including Google and Wikipedia.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

hello,

I think everybody here understands that life can go on without using the search form. Bookmarks exist, home page exist, you can always go to any search engine you want to use the search engine you prefer.

the fact that the search form enabled you to choose among several search engines was a fine idea, it is still available to BlackBerry users except Verizon ones. If anyone has complaints to make, they should go to a Verizon Wireless forum

http://forums.verizon.com/

http://www.myvusers.com/

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: