Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
doekim
My Device: Not Specified

New to BB - IMAP Setup - Where are settings?

The Storm is my first BB. I'd always read it was the standard for mobile email, so I decided the Storm was worth leaving AT&T and moving over to Verizon. However... I'm frustrated beyond... just trying to set up IMAP email accounts. My company uses IMAP access (pretty common any more these days) and I have previously successfully (and with ease) set up email on:

- Treo 680 (my 5 yr old mobile phone running Palm OS)
- Windows Desktop using Outlook
- Apple MacBook Pro using Thunderbird

Each of these applications provides for setting incoming/outgoing mail servers, ports, SSL, etc. After minor adjustments I got ALL the above configured in a matter of minutes (all to the same IMAP account)

But I have not succeeded (even close) with new Storm. I've looked high and low for similar settings on the BB platform. I called Verizon service and they had me log into my BIS account. I used the autodetect to attempt to retrieve email settings from Outlook (which works just fine) and BIS says... "failed to transfer some settings."

Is there any way to access the settings on the Storm/BB much like every other email client application (heck my 5 yr old Treo had this)?

Any help appreciated. I hate to give up so quickly, but if I can't get a simple thing like email working (which is supposed to be BlackBerry's shining virtue), I'll have no choice but to look for something else...

Doekim
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran III
urumilton
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Re: New to BB - IMAP Setup - Where are settings?

Another way to set up an email is through your carrier's web page.

Go to the carrie's web page, log on on your account, go to set up blackberry mail and makes the setup.

After few seconds you receives a new message indicator than you're new mail is working.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
Please use plain text.
Elite I
jmrmb80
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

The other place to do it is through the "Personal Email Setup" icon on the device. That just takes you to a mobile version of the carrier's website though. So some people prefer to do it from a computer to make it easier to type in the information. No matter which way you choose, there's an Email Accounts section where you can type in your email credentials to setup your email accounts.

Since you have Verizon here's their BIS site

http://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
datboyxo

[ Edited ]

I feel your pain. I came from a long line of treos (300 > 600 > 650 > 755p > Storm) and was confused at first as well. I'll help you out:

1. Log into your BIS account.
  2. Delete any email accounts you have setup.
  3. Once you've deleted the accounts, click to add an existing account.
  4. When it asks for your email address and password, put fictitious credentials in the form (i.e. fake@test.com, 12345)
  5. It'll ask once more if you want to try again, say no and that you'll provide the settings.
  6. It'll then ask if this is a personal or work email account. Choose work
  7. Next it's gonna ask if you wan it to automatically detect settings, if you want to provide the settings or if you use outlook web access. If you're using exchange at work and you have outlook web access, then use the owa choice. If you are usiing any other type of imap setup, then chose "I'll provide the settings". If you're a newbie, choose the auto detection choice. (You said you have your imap settings so I'll continue as if you chose the second choice; providing the settings.)
  8. On the next screen, you'll be able to enter your server settings and you should be good from there! (TIP: If you're setting up an imap connection to gmail or google apps, put your entire email address for username.)
I hope this helps you out. Good luck!
Message Edited by datboyxo on 12-07-2008 10:03 PM
Message Edited by datboyxo on 12-07-2008 10:23 PM
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
doekim

Thanks for your help...I've tried this approach several times and get the same results:"An error occurred during email account validation. Please check your information and try again" (Aren't those error messages so incredibly informative?) 

On the Treo (and Outlook and Thunderbird and countless other email clients) I am provided options for Server Names (yes, I know BIS has that), Port numbers, different security options such as SSL, TLS, etc. On the TREO I have a plethora of similar options as well. On BB Storm, other than server names and passwords, NONE of the other options exist.

This is rather disappointing.  I figured I might have setup issues elsewhere (notes, or todo lists) but the last place I expected to have issues was on email setup (since BB is supposed to rein supreme on email).

Any other suggestions? (as I mentioned earlier, my outlook, thunderbird and treo clients work without a flaw)

Doekim

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Guessing here...pardon if you've already tried. I received that exact error message until I finally figured out the precise mailbox name (case sensitive) that my OWA server was handing out to me. Only on the BB client do I find the field for mailbox name -- all other clients work fine with just the account name and password. My email address is firstname.lastname@company.com. My domain account is firstnamelastinitial. And my mailbox name is Firstname.Lastname (first letter capitalized). I could only see this via OWA by hovering over the mailbox name area and seeing what the hover-text showed to me. Once I found that, I could enter it into BIS and finally get that account to sync. (Like you, I had previously tried everthing I could think of -- except for the first letter capitalization.)

Hope that helps...apologies if it does not.

Best.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
datboyxo

All of the steps I mention above must be completed from a desktop computer, not from your storm. I just have to ask, are you trying to complete the above tasks on your storm or on your desktop? :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
doekim

All on the desktop computer...  I still haven't got the knack of typing this all on the Storm...(yet).

Doekim

datboyxo wrote:
All of the steps I mention above must be completed from a desktop computer, not from your storm. I just have to ask, are you trying to complete the above tasks on your storm or on your desktop? :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.