Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
Jimmysx
My Device: BB Storm 9500

New to the Blackberry Storm

Hi there. I now own a BB Storm. It is my first BB so I didn't know what to expect. Unfortunately i've encoutered a lot of problems. Lots of error 523's and other issue's. IMHO they need to come up with a much more stable OS for this one. i just couldn't install the Flickr app, my BB just went into the app error 523 and now I had to use the JL_cmd to erase my whole OS!!!!! How can a phone like this have such problems???? Don't they test it before it hits the market???? I bought 2 BB's so it couldn't just be only me....

We're running the latest 4.7 software and I hope after the re-install that all my problems will be gone.

When the phone works, it does a great job. Battery usage is high when surfing the net and watching video's, so that could be also a point of improvement.  

So that's just my 2 cents!

Enjoy!  :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: New to the Blackberry Storm

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

So, is there a support question in there somewhere? Or did you just want a place to say what you feel?

This forum, while sort of RIM sponsored, is a user-to-user forum with dedicated souls who, on their own time and NOT as RIM employees (in other words, just another user like you), want to help others get the most that they can out of their device. You said at the start of your post that you didn't know what to expect...then later you seem to be very unhappy that the device is not perfect. Sorry, but IMHO those two things are contradictory.

What you will find, if you give it some time, is that there are many who are very happy with the device -- as long as they give themselves the patience to 1) get used to the device in general (which takes a long time) and 2) get used to the existing shortcomings in the device (it is not perfect). RIM has been pumping out updated OS's that have had mixed success -- read up on this forum for lots of information about that. But, it is the carriers who ultimately determine when or if to release the updates...RIM has no final control. So, if you are not happy that your device is not perfect, then the place to complain is to your carrier since they have that final control.

Best of luck to you.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Jimmysx

Thanks for the welcome.

The support thing you asked for is solved with the help of this forum. I ran into a nasty Ápp error 523' after installing the Flickr app. Solved with the JL-cmd thingy so I'm happy now. Just wanted to vent some of the frustrations of a first time BB owner. Sure there are happy users, and I know I will to, but before I reach that point, I had to and hopefully no more invest a lot of time solving errors. I don't mind doing that but the business customers will have great issue's with that and so will the newbie's if they have a Storm as there first phone.

Once again, I (hope) that I've solved my problems with the help of this supportforum and also thanks to my constant backing up my precious data. And I wish all Storm owners all the best with and enjoy their BB. I know that I will in the end :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Elite I
cathlabnurse
My Device: STORM 9550 Verizon <><

Welc:smileyhappy:me to the supp:smileyhappy:rt f:smileyhappy:rums Jimmy -

I have a storm and loving it.  I am glad you were able to get your phone fixed! Enjoy your BlackBerry and visit with us here on the forums anytime! 

:smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: Nurse-Berry :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

[ Edited ]

Hey there Jimmysx, App Error 523 is just that, an error due to a third party application and not the OS.  It's usually due to some sort of incompatibility, or even just due to an app that didn't install correctly.  Usually removing the application using the Application Loader (in the BlackBerry Desktop Manager) is sufficient.  The JL_CMDER step is kind of a last resort.

As to battery life, usage is high when browsing the web, etc. due to processor demands and a need to be constantly connected to the network.  The good news (that I've found) is that battery life is improved on more recent OS upgrades (for example, I'm on Telus and they've upgraded to OS version 4.7.0.122 and my battery life improved by ~20%  over the original 4.7.0.76 OS (as an estimate)).

If you have any other issues with your Storm though, or if you have any other questions, feel free to ask and we'll be happy to assist if we can (and if we can't, we may be able to get assistance anyhow).  Good luck!

And as a small FYI, I know the feeling of being a new BB owner.  Before my Storm, I'd never owned a BlackBerry, and it definitely takes time to adjust and learn.  Fortunately for me, I'm a pretty quick learner.  :smileyhappy:  The piece of good news is that if you take interest and keep an eye on the forums here, you can learn a lot of neat tricks to make your Storm experience even better.

Message Edited by Krypto on 05-15-2009 11:41 PM

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Jimmysx

Thanks guys!

@ Krypto: Phone was responding at all, not even when connected to my computer, so I had to use the last resort. I'm also a quick learner so I will get the hang of it for sure and I have 2 BB's to practice with :smileyvery-happy:

This page will go in my bookmarkfolder for sure!!!

Thanks again!!! :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Got it!  Well I'm also glad you were able to get things back up and running! :smileyhappy:

And with that, welcome to the Forums! :smileyhappy:

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Jimmysx

Yes me too! And thanks again for the welcome :smileywink:

Have a great weekend everybody!

Please use plain text.