Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
stinkmo
My Device: 9550 Storm 2
Accepted Solution

No ability to add 3rd party mail on storm 2?

[ Edited ]
Had a storm for a while, just got a storm 2 on Verizon using BES. On my storm I had the ability to tie in with my yahoo mail account by adding a new email address - yet on the 2, the option to add a 3rd party mail program is no longer there - and only can use BB internet service for mail. Is there no way to add 3rd party mail now without using their forwarding service directly?
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: No ability to add 3rd party mail on storm 2?

hello,

BlackBerry provides the ability to receive emails in their "Messages application". This is done using BES or BIS only.

You can install an email application that can do POP or IMAP. Emails will stay in that application only.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
stinkmo

[ Edited ]
The storm had the ability to pull gmail, yahoo, etc, while using BES, and there is a link on the BB site to http://www.blackberry.com/yahoo/mail tho that page is throwing a java exception when I try to connect via my storm 2. There are posts all over with people trying to separate their incoming mail because they show up in the messages application. My storm, which I had for 2 years, allowed me to connect to my work email via BES and my yahoo account. My wife's Curve can also do this.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Hello,

I'm not sure that I'm understanding you properly, so let me just clarify how I understand it to work.

Natively, there are only two email capabilities with any BB...BIS and/or BES. BES, as you know, is a server hosted inside of a firm that provides the conduit between the enterprise email system and the corporate BBs. BIS is hosted at the carriers/RIM and provides the conduit between BB's and internet-facing email systems. Both BIS and BES are PUSH...the BB itself does not touch the email system...BIS and BES do that work and push things to the BB when needed.

Under BES, you typically are also provided BIS access from your carrier so as to also configure additional personal email accounts. But, that only works if your BES IT Policy does not forbit it...some firms do.

All emails from BIS and BES are placed into the main Messages app. BIS email also get a dedicated icon. BES emails can have a dedicated icon if some tricks are done (either a configuration at the server or an add-on client app).

I've never seen a configuration where BES provided the conduit between the BB and the internet-facing personal email environments. If that's what you had going on, then you should go see your BES admins about re-creating whatever it is that they did for you in the past.

Note that all of this is completely separate from any web-mail use...that is simply a browser interface to some webmail site and has nothing whatsoever to do with the BB Email apps.

Best.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
stinkmo

[ Edited ]
I think you misunderstood - I wasn't suggesting the yahoo/gmail actually went through BES, as it doesn't. I mentioned BES so all would understand I am not on a BIS setup.

On my storm, curve, etc, you could add a Yahoo or Gmail account by entering mail setup, selecting one of those providers, and running through the mail setup. This would create a new messaging icon which had all of your Yahoo mail stored, and it updated via push from Yahoo whenever new mail arrived. This is the functionality that seems to be lacking from my Storm 2.

If you enter mail setup on the Storm 2, you can either adjust your mail settings from BES, or BIS - but no choices for yahoo/gmail exist. I followed a separate link on my Storm 2 to the link listed above at the BB site, which I found through some searching, that would add a yahoo account to your BB - unfortunately, it throws a java exception on my Storm 2 (but it seems to work on a friend's storm, so the error seems limited to my Storm 2 or Storm 2s in general).

I've since wiped the Storm 2, updated software and reconfigured it, but I still have no ability I can see to add a yahoo mail account, or add the ability from the BB link above.

My question is really trying to determine if this functionality was removed on the Storm 2, if my o/s has issues, or if I've somehow become much dumber than I thought and am not looking in the right place.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
stinkmo

Welp - I can do this via forcing from BIS to connect up the account, which is the end result I was looking for, rather than from message setup.
Please use plain text.