Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
LonestarX
My Device: Blackberry Storm 2 9520

OS change

I am desperately trying to CHANGE my firmware. i currently have 699 version bundle 1133 and i want v5.0.0.1743. no matter what i try , it won't update.

i tried following the guide @ http://berryshout.com/?content=1&l=en but in Apploader it doesn't say anything about my OS , just about the installed apps. can't change the OS. i tried wiping but apploader won't recognize any other os but v5.0.0.699. meaning if the device has no os and i try installing one via bb manager , the only one available is that **bleep** 699 version. no matter i have other OS'es installed on my pc. help please

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: OS change

Hello,

The simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):

1) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

2) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

3) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

4) If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML (there will be at least one, perhaps 2)

5) Launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC

Don't forget to backup.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

From what you describe, it sounds like VENDOR.XML is your issue...

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
LonestarX
My Device: Blackberry Storm 2 9520

did all that.. deleted all the OS's , installed the desired one , deleted vendor xml , tried updating via apploader still nothing. tried update via bb manager , doesn't even see it.. X_X tried "Load OS" via BBSAK , it says no os installed.. may the problem be i'm running windows 8 ?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

LonestarX wrote:

may the problem be i'm running windows 8 ?

Yup...I'd put money on that one. None of the tools I know of are yet compatible with Win8, so YMMV. I'd recommend finding a PC with Win7.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code