Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Telkomsel
Accepted Solution

Picture resolution / size changes by itself

I found very frustrating problem with my Bold 9700. I took picture with Large resolution and Superfine quality. Strangely, after some viewing (+zooming in/out) of the pictures taken, I found the pictures' resolution had changed to Small! I tested this by taking another picture, viewing it, making sure the resolution is large, then closing the Media Apps, and reopening and viewing the picture again. It happened again after the second viewing if I did some zooming in/out.

I am very upset that some pictures are now have small resolutions and I can't trust viewing through Media Apps again before copying the files first to my computer.

Is this a bug or is there something I did wrong while viewing pictures? This is really annoying having your pictures changing by themselves without any warning whatsoever...
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Picture resolution / size changes by itself

hello,

do you confirm that the pictures, once transferred on your PC, have a small resolution?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Telkomsel

Transferred pictures are fine. Also seems like if I just let the BB not being used for some time (or just reset it), the pictures are back to their original size. So this is clearly a problem with the Properties somehow showing different picture sizes after zoom. (While the properties are of wrong sizes; the thumbnails also become smaller, which makes me think the Media App reduce the size of the pictures.)
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

linklunk wrote:
Transferred pictures are fine. Also seems like if I just let the BB not being used for some time (or just reset it), the pictures are back to their original size. So this is clearly a problem with the Properties somehow showing different picture sizes after zoom. (While the properties are of wrong sizes; the thumbnails also become smaller, which makes me think the Media App reduce the size of the pictures.)

in the Media application, the thumbnails and the file properties are stored in a cache file. It is probable that this cache has been corrupted. You simply have to destroy that cache, and then the Media application wil recreate immediately.

the cache is made of one file named BBThumbs.dat in every folder on the media card that contains a media file (mp3, ringtone, picture, voice note, video).

1. Connect you device to your computer after activating USB Mass Storage.
  2. Open the Windows Explorer to view the content of the media card (do not use Desktop Manager or Media Manager orMedia Sync).
  3. Show hidden & system files
  4. do a search for the BBThumbs.dat files and delete all (don't worry, recreating them will take a few seconds only).
  5. unplug from the computer
  6. launch the Media application. In the bottom of the screen you will briefly see a bar going white to blue. That is the indexation process that will recreate the cache.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: