Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Problems installing USB driver on Windows XP

After much sweat, resolved problem of getting XP Wizard to point to and accept RIMUSB.sys driver for installation (went to the select device,  browse route). However, when I hit "next" the file transfer page comes up showing animation of a file floating to a new folder, the horizontal bar fills immediately, but install never finishes. Files float slowly forever. Task Manager shows it is "running" but it never completes. Also, computer slows down, but never freezes, cursor continues to work. FYI, I tried loading all this on girlfriend's computer with Vista and works instantly. Am desperate (isn't everyone?)!
Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: Problems installing USB driver on Windows XP

Why do you need a separate driver to be installed?

Usually, when you install Blackberry Desktop Manager also all necessary Blackberry drivers are installed automatically.

New Contributor

It is the usb driver from Verizon for a Blackberry Storm setting up the link between PC and driver. It is tone of the two CDs that comes with the phone, the other being the Blackberry User tools. Without the driver, no linkup. But it would never install. When I used the Window device manager wizard installer it couldn't find the rimusbnt.inf driver to get the handheld to connect with the PC. However, I was finally able to get the DM installer to accept it and to begin the install process of putting it into the system32 file. All was going well except when after I hit "next" it just hangs up and keeps running. Thoughts?
Developer

Sorry, but it is hard to guess what is the reason of that.

Probably it expects that your device is connected to the PC in that moment. But device is not connected or is not in "Ready" state.

New Contributor

Perhaps. But Windows does see it as new hardware and generated the Installation Wizard. Also the Device Manager shows it as a Blackberry connected to the USB controller, albeit with a yellow exclamation point. the problem occurs after the last step, when I hit the "next" button to begin the install and it just keeps "installing" and never finishes.
Developer

Have you installed the latest service packs and updates on your Windows ?

In some cases it is the reason.

New Contributor

Yes, I have xp sp3
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: Storm - 9530

[ Edited ]

First, do you have Norton or Mcaffee enabled while this is happening?

Both are known to screw up simple installations.

Also, remove any previous versions of any hotsync manager if you are upgrading from a palm. This has also made some difficulties with other syncing programs.

If all of the above are covered, then try this:

Check another USB port on your computer and make sure to plug it directly in, bypassing any USB hubs for now.

First, disable the Internet Security Software.

Then, go to Control Panel and get System.

Click the Hardware tab.

Click Device Manager and see if the BB is showing up while plugged in.

Right click and uninstall it if it is.

Uninstall the BB manager programs.

Unplug the BB.

Reboot.

Disable any Security software again.

Now put the BB disks that came with it in and run the setup again.

If the USB errorr is still occuring, remove any previous versions of any hotsync manager if you are upgrading from a palm. This has also made some difficulties with other syncing programs.

Message Edited by PC-ASSIST on 11-29-2008 07:24 PM