Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Mszpara11
My Device: Not Specified

Problems with BlackBerry Storm Touch Screen. Can anyone help?

[ Edited ]

Whenever I press anywhere on the touch screen, it seems to only select the icons that are only on the very bottom row of the screen. Sometimes the bottom button will flash and it will select the correct one, but rarely. This only started happening today, and I'm wondering if theres just something simple I can do to fix it instead of having to take it to get fixed.

If I go to my contacts, I can't touch select any of them, as it only highlights the buttons on the bottom row, ect.

Can anyone help?

EDIT::: When I press the hard menu button, the screen then does not respond at all when I try to press it on the larger menu. I can't even scroll the menu down properly. 

Message Edited by Mszpara11 on 05-10-2009 06:59 PM
Super Contributor
highrange101
My Device: VZW Storm 9530 OS. 4.7.0.148

Re: Problems with BlackBerry Storm Touch Screen. Can anyone help?

Try a simple battery pull....  with device ON pull out battery, reinstall it and let phone reboot.  See if that will help
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to resolve your thread.
Put the check mark in the green box that contained your answer!
Please click Kudo's for those who provided help. Thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
elleeyyleanne
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9500

Does your blackberry storm work with just a tap, or does ur screen click to press a button, cause im unsure if this phone is meant to have a cilck screen, or my screen has came loose?
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

elleeyyleanne wrote:
Does your blackberry storm work with just a tap, or does ur screen click to press a button, cause im unsure if this phone is meant to have a cilck screen, or my screen has came loose?

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

All of the current Storm series BBs are designed to have a physical "click" feel to them when you select anything on the screen. This is called "SurePress" technology.

That said, it is possible for app developers to write their apps such that only a tap on the screen, without the physical click, will result in the item being selected or executed. This bypass, as it were, is a function of the app, not the OS.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
PhenomenalAJS
My Device: Storm 9530

Hello,

I'm having a similar problem. I just recently bought a used Storm off eBay, then bought a battery and USB cable separately.  When it first came on, it said the software had to be reloaded. So I downloaded it to the device.  It comes on.  It  lets me scroll around on the software license acceptance screen and tap OK to turn it blue, but it won't select it and move on.  I tap.  I press.Over and over.  Nothing.  If the touch screen weren't working, it wouldn't let me move at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

AJ

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

PhenomenalAJS wrote:

Hello,

I'm having a similar problem. I just recently bought a used Storm off eBay, then bought a battery and USB cable separately.  When it first came on, it said the software had to be reloaded. So I downloaded it to the device.  It comes on.  It  lets me scroll around on the software license acceptance screen and tap OK to turn it blue, but it won't select it and move on.  I tap.  I press.Over and over.  Nothing.  If the touch screen weren't working, it wouldn't let me move at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

AJ

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Actually, there are two separate things going on. The first thing is the screen recognizing where on the screen you are touching. The second thing is the physical click to select the place on the screen where you are touching. They are separately controlled. So, from what you describe, I'd say that the first part is working, but the second part is not. As such, I advise you to get in touch with the seller.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
PhenomenalAJS

Thanks.  I'll try to get in touch with the seller, but I'm pretty sure it was an "AS IS" purchase.  I may still be able to geta SquareTrade warranty, though.  It definitely is the 2nd part.  It was sold w/o battery & USB cable.  I bought those separately.  The seller wrote that he wasn't sure it worked.

New Contributor
PhenomenalAJS

[ Edited ]

This is the response I got from the seller:

"I really am not sure about this phone, as I was unable to test it to see if works when I sold it. I had no battery for it. I was unable to verify if the phone had any issues, and that's why I sold it as is. I clearly specified in the description that the phone was in unknown condition. I'm sorry if you didn't read the description clearly. My recommendation for you would be to just sell the phone AS IS on ebay, and purchase another one. I'm sure you'll get you're money back. Just make sure to read the descriptions very carefully. I was very clear in my description. I'm sorry you bought the phone. Most people who buy broken phones are techs who can fix them. Let me know if I can do anything else for you."

I had read the description he gave but he listed the item as "USED" which eBay defines as being "...functional..."  I'm not a tech, but my goal is to find out how to get it working, not to pass it onto someone else.

P.S. - This is how I responded:

"I understand that and I read the description before I bid. I'm not a tech, but I do not intend to pass it on to someone else. I intend to get it working and was just wondering if you had any ideas.
Also, next time, if you're not sure, you should list it as "For Parts or Not Working." EBay defines "USED" as "...fully operational and functions as intended..." The other choice includes "difficult to use" and "missing essential parts..." The battery is an essential part."

New Contributor
PhenomenalAJS

The guy's getting testy... This was his response:

"I understand that, but to the "Best of my Knowledge" the phone was perfectly operational and though it was missing the battery, when I plugged it into the computer using a Sync cable, the driver for the phone installed properly, making me believe that the phone was perfectly operational, YET i still mentioned what the potential problems COULD be. That is why it was listed in USED category, NOT "For Parts, not working." I know what I am doing. Everything is in the description. I have my back, and so does my Law firm.

"Thank you for your advice though."

All this jawing back and forth isn't helping to fix the phone.  One thing I saw, possibly in a knowledge base, was that it may be possible to find software that could recognize "double-tapping" the touchscreen as a click in lieu of the "SurePress" technology that should recognize pressing the screen.  Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks,

AJ

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Wow...sounds like a seller deserving of negative feedback...

PhenomenalAJS wrote:

One thing I saw, possibly in a knowledge base, was that it may be possible to find software that could recognize "double-tapping" the touchscreen as a click in lieu of the "SurePress" technology that should recognize pressing the screen.  Does anyone have any info on this?

The only things I've ever seen on that have to do with specific applications rather than any change to the core OS itself. I've had one or two apps that don't require the physical click to select items within the application. But, again, I've only seen that for a specific app, not for the core OS itself.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates