Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Contributor
cdskidso
My Device: Not Specified

Random Reboots in .148

Good Morning all, since upgrading from .75, I have been very pleased with all of the improvements and performance tweaks. It is a minor problem, but I now get random reboots about 4 or 5 times a week when it used to happen 2 or 3 times per month. I always try to properly close down applications so they are not running in the background and I have now set quick pull to run automatically every night. Anybody know if this is a known glitch with .148? Battery life is slightly better and I have not had the battery overheating problems on this storm. Thanks for your assistance.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Random Reboots in .148

[ Edited ]

Hi!

Hmmm...interesting...most reports are that the random reboots are improved with .148! One thing - do you still have your SIM card inserted? It is not required while on VZW's network and I know that under .75, when I removed mine, the random reboots improved. I've still left it out since it's not needed (just be sure you have it to put back in if you ever need to roam off of VZW).

BTW -- Have you done a controlled reboot? The random reboots are not as clean as controlled reboots.

With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, this one suffers from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Oh and one more thing...are you sure QP is running correctly? Try a manual execution of a QP reboot and make sure it works. On mine, it does not run properly -- and gives an error message that we have so far determined will require me to completely reload my device OS...

Message Edited by sdgardne on 06-14-2009 08:27 AM

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
cdskidso
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks for your input Sdgardne. Early in January I called VZW and had them register my SIM card on the off chance I may travel overseas in the future. At the time, under .75 that seemed to calm things down and reduce freezes and random reboots. I definitely will remove the SIM card for now to see if that helps under .148. Regarding QP, after updating to .148 on 5/31, I immediately did a manual, power on battery pull and have done a manual several times over the last two weeks. I was running quick pull manually every two or three days and it seemed to run properly with no error message like you received. I only recently set QP to run automatically every day at 4:00 a.m. In your opinion, is the memory leak worse in .148 than it was in .75? What program do you use to monitor your memory and resource use, and does it have a dashboard or menu icon so I can easily do a quick check? (like the icon quick display of temp and basic conditions on weather bug). Thanks for your advice, I will pull the SIM card to see if that finally sends me to Nirvana. Regards,
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

I don't actually use a memory monitoring program. I do watch my App free memory and can really tell the difference between when QP worked (.75) and since it stopped (.148). When I say that things are improved, I mean to indicate as what I take as an impression from the responses on this forum since the use of .148 (which, btw, pre-dates the release by VZW).

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code